Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5.45x39 mags

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    No problem Ryan, Pat had already nailed most of it.

As far as why Russia, Poland and Bulgaria went with black....well, honeslty I don't know either but I honestly do think it might have had something to do with the US and other NATO countries' adoption of black service rifles as well. One of the main reasons the Soviets developed the 5.45x39mm round and the AK-74 to go with it were the early reports from Vietnam about our advisors armed with the M16's. They wanted to keep up with the Joneses too.

Corrosive ammo will clean up with standard cleaning gear. Just clean the gas tube thoroughly, as that's the part that will tend to rust first because of the lack of chrome plating. A 20ga. or 12ga. bore brush works great for that. It wouldn't hurt to go back the next day or two and clean again. Some people advocate the use of Windex because of the ammonia in it, but it's not necessary.

Be advised that the finish on the SLR-105's is kind of shitty. It's genuine Bulgarian military finish, which means that it won't hold up to harsh US solvents well at all. Underneath that bad paint is a phosphate finish though, so if you get motivated enough, have the rifle refinished in GunKote and then there are no worries.

One thing that I've had excellent luck with is Ballistol, from Germany. Developed by the Germans when they were short of petroleum, it's great stuff and will even take care of black powder residue, and is non carcinogenic. It also shouldn't screw with the finish too badly either.

Just smells like 3 week old gym socks.........
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Excellent thread guys!

The only thing I have to add is a link to an outstanding website that Shooter521 put together for AK-74 mags. Check it out here: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shoote...mag_guide.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc
    Excellent thread guys!

The only thing I have to add is a link to an outstanding website that Shooter521 put together for AK-74 mags. Check it out here: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shoote...mag_guide.html
    Thanks for the props, M4arc. I do what I can. AK-74 mags are a pretty specialized area. The different types/nationalities are fairly easy to distinguish and it is actually possible to "collect 'em all". I wouldn't even begin to try a project like this with the 7.62 varieties.

I'm always on the lookout for new variations to add to the collection. Just recently acquired a 5rd steel Romanian double-stack, and a firebrick red Circle 25 (which I didn't even know existed). Descriptions have been added to the guide, and I'll be uploading pics shortly.

Glad to be here; looks like a nice place to hang out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom
    Go with the Bulgarian mags. IIRC I purchased 10 mags from OhioRapidfire for 40 bucks plus shipping.
    Ten mags for $40?

Damn that's cheap.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Shooter521 - Great having you here! You put together an awesome page on 5.45 mags.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Excellent thread guys!

That should be a sticky.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Dinger
    Ten mags for $40?

Damn that's cheap.
    Actually they're even cheaper than that, now. 12 mags for $35.99!

http://rapidfire.targetweb.net/cgi-b...m=on&ppinc=big

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Excellent thread guys!

Seriously great guide Shooter 521!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The ORF mag deal is a good one but be prepared to remove lots of cosmoline.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123