Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who makes DSA's AR receivers????

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think the problem is that there is a functional aspect to "fit & finish" and a purely cosmetic one.

To most of us here, the functional aspect is what matters. To me "fit & finish" refers to the holes being drilled properly, the lower being able to accept a quality lower parts kit without problems, the lower lining up with a quality upper without problems, the threads being in order, the whole lower or upper being dimensionally in-spec, properly anodized and so on.

To many others (thankfully not so much around here) the cosmetic aspects are far more important, and they comment on how Colts aren't worth the money because they have a "crappy finish" (flat gray anodzing) compared to how nice and smooth the black finish is on their RRA or DPMS, or how an AR that has a tight lockup between upper and lower is somehow (though unquantifiably) better than one with a bit of play.

The term has come to be associated mostly with the latter crowd, and so it draws a certain degree of ire from the former.

On topic, it's my understanding (though I can't say with 100% certainty) that DSA's lowers are made by LMT. I have seen a few stripped DSA lowers and they look to be well made and have nice "fit & finish" of both kinds.

Hope that helps.

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    I have a DSA ZM4 lower with a Colt M4 upper assembly attached.
    It's my understanding that LMT is the maker of the DSA lower.
    My lower is fine. If your into the "fit and finish" crap, the DSA will make you happy.
    My DSA lower has met my expectations with NO problems as it performs to my expectations.

"pull trigger, makes noise accompanied by big smile".
    “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!” Isaiah 5:20

Feedback Score
    ooopsie maybe i should have had my caps lock on, did anyone see this ??

in reality, which companies makes all the lower receivers for all the different brand names, i thought i read somewhere a few months/years ago there were only 2 or 3 forges doing so and only 4 or 5 finishers.., anyone got the low down on this ??

i really would like to know, and i am fairly certain many others would like to know also.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger seven View Post
    To most of us here, the functional aspect is what matters. To me "fit & finish" refers to the holes being drilled properly, the lower being able to accept a quality lower parts kit without problems, the lower lining up with a quality upper without problems, the threads being in order, the whole lower or upper being dimensionally in-spec, properly anodized and so on.
    Me too... In the fin & finish department LMT = good... Olympic = horrid...
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldNavyGuy View Post
    i really would like to know, and i am fairly certain many others would like to know also.
    Well there was an interesting article in one of the Book of the AR15 magazines on Armalite's production. I think Armalite, as an example, would buy the forged platters and do the finish machining all in house.

Oly definitely does their own machining in house because they have a monopoly on the receivers with misaligned pin holes market!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    Oly definitely does their own machining in house because they have a monopoly on the receivers with misaligned pin holes market!
    So how would you rate their fit and finish???

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    So how would you rate their fit and finish???
    According to OLY owners it's Great!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Its the Artisan water... Goes straight to their heads...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I still haven't figured out why OLY is the official AR of the South. I'd say 80 percent of the time when I'd see some knuckle head on TOS defending Oly as a legitimate AR brand, their location was somewhere in the South.

I'll never forget that pic on OLY's website years ago of some damned inbred showing of the aligator he had killed with his Oly out in the swamp!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    I still haven't figured out why OLY is the official AR of the South. I'd say 80 percent of the time when I'd see some knuckle head on TOS defending Oly as a legitimate AR brand, their location was somewhere in the South.

I'll never forget that pic on OLY's website years ago of some damned inbred showing of the alligator he had killed with his Oly out in the swamp!

Obviously the gator was killed with blunt force trauma do to being beat to death with the Oly.... cause when the trigger was pulled all the guy heard was........................................click.
    “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!” Isaiah 5:20

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast