Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Gun Handling

Feedback Score

Daily Gun Handling

I managed to get a spot on a CCW class for next month. The class was open for one hour when I arrived at the LGS to sign up. I was the last/10th entrant. Barely made it.

In preparation for being a CCW holder, I've been wearing my IWB hoslter around the house, loaded but w/no round chambered. This is mostly to get used to it, the weight of it, and living with it. I take out the trash carrying, cook, watch TV, and let the dog out to do his bidness. I put it on in the morning, take it off to go to work, put it back on when I get home, and take it off when getting ready for bed.

I understand the hive's opinion of carrying w/out a round chambered. I'm not a'skeered of it, but there's that concern of the Glock trigger. I understand I'll come to the point where I chamber and carry all the time when able. I know I have to learn the ins/outs of taking the required care with my loaded piece.

My question is, what is it that I'm getting to? I'm a conciencious individual and have open carried a 1911 and an old S&W .38 revolver in years past. The Glock is new to me. If you have a minute, what insight might you be able to pass on to me? I thank you for your assist.

I'm going to finish watching Wayne LaPierre on C-Span now. Thanks.
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    I would love to try to help, but I don't have any idea what you're asking. Even when I reword it so that the sentences make sense, I still don't understand the point. You carried a 1911 (safety) and revolver (no safety), and now you're worried about carrying a Glock because there's no traditional safety?

The only thing I would say is you're probably better off with your 1911 if you're not going to carry the Glock with a round in the chamber. Just get a decent IWB holster for the 1911. It can be done. Milt Sparks.

Feedback Score
    Take a defensive pistol class to increase your confidence.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Air Force Strong?
    Daniel

Never send a nail to do a screw's job.

Feedback Score
    I guess you get it or you don't. Understand that I'm new to Glocks. The pull is easier than a revolver and there's no safety like the 1911.

Perhaps a rephrase will help. How did you guys in the same boat work it out when you did it? I know it's a weenie question, but I'm just a new guy. Surely I'm not the only one here with this question, and you with your 50k round Glocks were once working through the same issues.

Thank you for your time and assistance.
    Last edited by WhiskyNiner; 03-15-13 at 22:39.
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by streck View Post
    Air Force Strong?
    Surely you already understand the joke...
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Daily Gun Handling

Fact is, the Glock won't fire unless you pull the trigger, period. If you have a quality holster that covers the trigger, there's literally no chance it will go off.

If you are careful with your trigger discipline when holstering and upholstering, there's nothing to fear. I carried around my house for a week loaded but not chambered, then carried the same way publicly only once. I saw nothing bad would happen, I've carried chambered ever since.

I agree you should take a defensive pistol class from a top flight instructor to increase your confidence.
    This isn't an illegal gun, it's an "undocumented protection device". Don't be so insensitive.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Take a class, preferably something multi-day that involves a lot of working out of a holster. Then practice what you learn there about safe gun handling. You can also participate in a league like IDPA if there's one in your area. Just follow the fundamentals and you should be fine.

Carrying can be a weird feeling at first but you get used to it. Your first few times out you'll think everyone is staring at you and can make out your gun. Pretty soon that goes away and eventually if feels weird going out without carrying. Just stick with it and stay within your comfort zone until you're confident carrying with a chambered round.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveshamockery View Post
    Fact is, the Glock won't fire unless you pull the trigger, period. If you have a quality holster that covers the trigger, there's literally no chance it will go off.

If you are careful with your trigger discipline when holstering and upholstering, there's nothing to fear. I carried around my house for a week loaded but not chambered, then carried the same way publicly only once. I saw nothing bad would happen, I've carried chambered ever since.

I agree you should take a defensive pistol class from a top flight instructor to increase your confidence.
    I hear this a lot but there are other factors to consider. Your finger is not the only thing that can depress the trigger...think clothing, draw strings on jackets or any other foreign object that could get inside the trigger guard when you holster the pistol.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyNiner View Post
    I guess you get it or you don't. Understand that I'm new to Glocks. The pull is easier than a revolver and there's no safety like the 1911.

Perhaps a rephrase will help. How did you guys in the same boat work it out when you did it? I know it's a weenie question, but I'm just a new guy. Surely I'm not the only one here with this question, and you with your 50k round Glocks were once working through the same issues.

Thank you for your time and assistance.
    Range time. No amount of carrying the gun and not handling/firing it will help. Also, dry fire exercises with snap caps or dummy rounds will help.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast