Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDC/ CCW/ Weapon Emplyoment while injured

Feedback Score

EDC/ CCW/ Weapon Emplyoment while injured

I recently had a string of bad luck; I fell on my shoulder during a ruck causing some muscular damage to my right shoulder. Two days later I was kicked in the forearm of my firing side by a horse. My dominant (right) arm is in a sling and I’ve been carrying my RCS holster on my support (left) side with the magazine well facing forward and spare mags on the dominate side. I rehearsed drawing with my support hand by drawing the weapon up and using my body to rotate the gun into a support hand only firing posture.

I went back and reviewed the Magpul art of the dynamic handgun; I was only able to watch a few minutes where TH and CC would draw the gun completely from the holster and pinching it between their knees until they could get a good positive grip using their uninjured hand. I practiced this with a SIRT pistol and the knee pinch technique seemed faster. I’m considering picking up another RCS holster for left side carry to eliminate the extra movement when drawing my pistol.

Has anyone else injured their dominant hand or arm and how did you adapt for EDC and employment? Can anyone offer some insight and advice? Thanks and stay safe!
    Last edited by zekus480; 03-16-13 at 20:52.
    Tourniquet, nose hose, chest seal, dart!

In chaos, there is hope!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I adapted by carrying a weapon that didn't have a strong side only safety and that had sights I could use to rack the slide.

Feedback Score
    The last time I had an arm in a sling was around '92. If I had an injury now I would get a holster for my support side, and practice often.

I have a friend who was shot in his primary side shoulder. After he got out of the hospital he signed up for a handgun course.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm left handed. I got a Shield when it was introduced but it has a safety for use with the right hand. I decided that I would get a RH holster and only use this gun on the right side. in the almost a year since I've had it I never shoot it left handed. it's great practice and while most of the time it is a BUG, lately I've been carrying it by itself. it's what you get used to and take time to train with...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm one handed. Luckily, it is my strong hand.

To simplify what you've got going on, I'd say work your weak hand as if it is your strong hand. Pretend your right hand is never coming back and take it out of the equation completely. This will help train your mind and your left hand to be more independent. It might be frustrating until you are more fluid but it will cut off reliance of your injured strong hand. ETA: I'm thinking in the action of initial presentation and firing. In my world it is flat out basic to quickly present and get on target. It does no good to carry if the tool can't be used.

Where you will have to put thought is extra mags and reloads. That one takes finding what you like and becoming proficient. Maybe here is where you can employ your injured arm - reloads.

ETA: What are you carrying? Can you activate the controls?
    Last edited by Shorts; 03-22-13 at 17:58.

Feedback Score

Update 25MAR13

So i went in to the hospital and the X-ray showed that i have about 4 mm of intact ulna in my right forearm. I have a wrist to armpit cast bent at a little more than 90 degrees.

I carry a M&P9 w/ SF X300 no thumb safety, I switched out the C clips on my RCS making it a left hand holster. It's easiest to put the holster on my pants, route my belt through the belt loops and C-Clips. I carry a leatherman tool and a surefire LX2 behind the holster and my spare mags on my other strong side an then put my pants on.

I carry IWB and the holster fits pretty comfortable. I've been practicing drawing and drawing from concealment with different clothing and jackets with my G17 SIRT pistol. I drop the mag with my trigger finger, pinch the gun between my knees, and activate the slide stop on the righ side of the gun for reloads.

I have ordered a propper left hand holster and will continue to train. Thanks to everyone that has offered advice. This weekend i'll hit up RG 37 PSR for some live fire traning. I'll take my AR as well to see how i can use it and what changes i need to make.
    Last edited by zekus480; 03-25-13 at 21:53. Reason: spelling
    Tourniquet, nose hose, chest seal, dart!

In chaos, there is hope!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Sounds like you're bound up pretty good. Drink plenty of milk or whatever method you use to supply Ca to get healed up fast.

I carry IWB and the holster fits pretty comfortable. I've been practicing drawing and drawing from concealment with different clothing and jackets with my G17 SIRT pistol. I drop the mag with my trigger finger, pinch the gun between my knees, and activate the slide stop on the righ side of the gun for reloads.
    You are off to a great lead. The more you work it the easier it gets. You ought to have it down in no time.

I don't know exactly how much control of mobility you have with your casted arm but for reloads I work on a slightly different method of holding the gun when inserting the mag. I bend my left arm and hold it tight to my body. I drop the mag and tuck the gun in the nest of my elbow against my rib cage, mag well facing forward (situated as if I'm wearing a vertical shoulder holster). I reach down to my left hip, grab the new mag and then bring it up and insert it in the gun. I grab the gun and lift my left elbow and swing the gun around to presentation going under my left arm. At the same time dropping the slide using the slide stop lever to chamber a round, and I'm on target.

I haven't worked the method of holding with my knees. What I don't like about that is that forces my body to be static. With knees engaged I can't move to make space or find cover. The elbow tuck method allows me to keep my head up and utilize peripheral vision on the action around me. I can also move as necessary. Anyhow, that's what I've worked on in case it works for you too

I'll take my AR as well to see how i can use it and what changes i need to make.
    Looking forward to your report on this.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    When I had my shoulder surgery(strong side) I used the SW642, practiced draws, reloads, etc with off hand only. I decided on the wheel gun for the trade off on capacity vs a chance of clearing a malfunction one handed. I usually practice one handed manipulations anyhow to simulate being injured, which is always a probability.

I did work on the AR, good thing you have knees and items to use for support(bump) when clearing malfunctions, loading, etc. For instance one would be clamping the rifle using the handguard area behind the knee, "sitting" on it.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    For instance one would be clamping the rifle using the handguard area behind the knee, "sitting" on it.
    What where you doing here?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
    What where you doing here?
    Using it "as my other hand" so I could work the charging handle, remove/insert a mag, etc.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast