Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need opinions - mod. 70 vs 700

Feedback Score

Need opinions - mod. 70 vs 700

Ok guys, see if I can cover all bases here...

I've recently decided to get serious on the precision "game" including joining a range where I can shoot out to 600yds (once my ability gets there...) I am having a dilemma what to do with guns. I would like to go to .308 for the sake of cheaper ammo and my shoulder. I broke my collar bone two years ago and even shooting clays with light loads kills me for a few days now. However, I already have 2 guns in .300WM

Here are my 3 options... What would you do?

1. Remington 700 sps stainless .300WM. I have shot this a decent bit at 1-200yds, it could use some mechanical improvement. Was originally bought for bambi slaying. It has a shitty burris 3-9x on no name rings. If I get serious it will probably need a stock, a trigger, scope and mounts, and I think a barrel as the factory one is pretty light.

2. Winchester model 70 in .300WM. I have literally never shot this gun, I bought it cheap in 2006 and it has sat in the safe. It is used and has been shot, unknown round count, but it's in pristine condition on the outside and the bore looks as good as my uneducated opinion can be. Currently has a Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9 on it (which seems decent, I have the same one on my beowulf), has had a trigger done (breaks way to crisp with ZERO creep to be factory), stock has been done, but I don't know what stock it is (See pics), and it IS floated. I would think it would need a barrel done (and stock mods as necessary)

3. Start from scratch with a 700p in .308 - stock, trigger etc, good scope, mounts etc.

Where would you go with it? I have a lot of .300WM ammo already, that's a positive for staying with what I have. The 700 would be relatively easy because you can buy EVERYTHING for a 700 aftermarket, whatever you want. The model 70 already has some work done which is a positive.

Just looking for opinions here guys. It's snowing and crappy here so the safes were open and I am "playing" and putting thoughts in my head. Also, option 4 was a Mossberg Night train I could be into for free, but that seems like a bad option in most people's opinions.

Thanks!
    Will

The 700

The model 70 (work was supposedly done by Bansner)

"A gun is no more dangerous than a cricket bat in the hands of a madman." -Prince Philip

Feedback Score

Need opinions - mod. 70 vs 700

Both of the 300 mags appear to be sporter profile barrels.
    Those are not going to be fun from a recoil perspective or a barrel heat perspective.
    Guns seem to recoil more in prone because your body is stuck to the ground and does not move like you do when you are standing up and bracing the gun against a tree in the field.

My recommendation would be a heavy barreled 308 such as the 700p you listed as an option.
    Last edited by AR15barrels; 03-17-13 at 02:20.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    On the the Model 70, I'd at least test fire it to see what it can do. The stock appears to be HS Precision fiberglass.

The .300 Win. Mag. is a somewhat specialized tool, because much of the time there is no need for the velocity and recoil of a magnum cartridge. I would much prefer a heavy-barrelled .308 and also one with a featherweight profile barrel in .308 Win. Then you would have the "precision rifle" part covered and also the "practical rifle."

Feedback Score

Re: Need opinions - mod. 70 vs 700

A heavy stock and a muzzle brake would tame the 300.

But if you want a 308, then you might as well go for it.

I may be wrong, but I believe that you can build a 308 on a long action. That might be an option for one of your current rifles.

Do you reload?

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Last edited by zacii; 03-17-13 at 15:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I may be wrong, but I believe that you can build a 308 on a long action.
    Sure can. Military did it with their M24's so they could later upgrade to a larger caliber. Worked out pretty well too considering how they upgraded lots of them to 300WM.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The bolt faces are magnum size. It would be less expensive just to start with a standard bolt face in the action of choice. If I had to fit another bolt to either action, I'd also want an aftermarket barrel, a McMillan or Manners stock...and the list goes on.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the great advice so far guys. I hope to take the mod 70 out sometime in the next week to see how it shoots, trigger is like glass and light so I expect a lot, hopefully not to be disappointed.

I stopped at my LGS tonight (talked a guy out of a bushmaster and into a colt, same price... ), picked up some pistol ammo and priced out another 700. The only 700 in .308 they show available right now is the varmint model, $660 + tax and PICS fee.

I was leaning toward a 700P but the price seems right on the varmint...
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...s-varmint.aspx

any opinions?

Thanks!
    Will
    "A gun is no more dangerous than a cricket bat in the hands of a madman." -Prince Philip

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    A heavy stock and a muzzle brake would tame the 300.

But if you want a 308, then you might as well go for it.

I may be wrong, but I believe that you can build a 308 on a long action. That might be an option for one of your current rifles.

Do you reload?

Sent from my Galaxy S2

I do not reload. I have a basic dillon press and most of the equipment that was my dad's, but never learned to run it, and I don't know if I have the patience especially with the single stage press... It definitely always interested me though.

Feedback Score
    I also learned tonight that the Steiner scope I've been drooling on is a wee bit out of my price range...

Feedback Score
    Why not sell one of the 300WM?

I would defiantly go .308, especially for your shoulder.

IMO you dont even need the 700P
    A 700 Tactical with a new B&C stock and maybe a Timney Trigger will be great.

The 700 Varmint has a 26" barrel I think. I wouldnt want that personally
    Last edited by saddlerocker; 03-18-13 at 23:09.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast