Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need opinions - mod. 70 vs 700

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    Why 260 instead of 6.5 creed?
    The 6.5 Creedmore is not a round I have any knowledge about. I can draw from the experience of people I know who shoot the .260 with a great deal of success.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I am seeing a few more .260 Remingtons in our area. A friend of mine converted his .308 to .260 and he loves it. He shoots steel with his .260 out to 1400 yards and he told me hits come easier with the .260 than it did when he was shooting .308.

Once the accuracy of my .308 barrel drops off, I am going to replace the barrel with a .260 Rem.
    Your comment on barrel length holds true with the 308 but it will not for all rounds. The 6.5mm in all its current variations will out perform the the 308 win. The advantage of the 308 win is for the new shooter, loads of info.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Sorry skullworks... but 6.5 swede will never catch on here... and for good reason.

We already have two cartridges that do everything it does, and likely more.

260 rem, and 6.5 creedmoor. Either of them will comfortably run a 140gr bullet at 2800fps. No reason to have yet another 6.5 when those two do the job so well.
    I have seen this round a lot lately. Quite a few customs popping up over at our other site. Guys get board pretty quick over there, always wanting to try something new (old) etc. If I had an extra 2k I would have a swede on a Mauser action in the works, its like the 30-06 of Europe.

I myself am on my 3rd 6.5mm round, went through a brace of 260 rems moved on to the 264 win mag, getting a 6.5x47 barrel for my striker. I will never buy a creedmoore I just don't see it making it big in the long haul.

Stupid part about all this caliber jumping is I am selling my 300 win to go back to a 308 gen perp rifle.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wburns View Post
    Thanks for all the great advice so far guys. I hope to take the mod 70 out sometime in the next week to see how it shoots, trigger is like glass and light so I expect a lot, hopefully not to be disappointed.

I stopped at my LGS tonight (talked a guy out of a bushmaster and into a colt, same price... ), picked up some pistol ammo and priced out another 700. The only 700 in .308 they show available right now is the varmint model, $660 + tax and PICS fee.

I was leaning toward a 700P but the price seems right on the varmint...
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...s-varmint.aspx

any opinions?

Thanks!
    Will
    The SPS Varmint uses the same barrel as the 700P just with a crappier finish and a shitty stock. If you plan on replacing the stock on the 700P you can save some money and get the Varmint.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    I will never buy a creedmoore I just don't see it making it big in the long haul.
    Why not?
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    Please explain why.
    Because you can (if you want to) run heavier bullets at higher velocities in the 6.5 Swede than you can in the other two, due to the larger case.

As I said; unless you're hell bent on shooting a 6.5 out of a short action rifle or an AR there's no reason to go with .260 Remington or the 6.5 Creedmoor. If you want to build a custom rifle on an easily available Rem700 Short Action, then either of those two would be more interesting. But if you are really focused on long range shooting, and you don't want to spend $3000 on a custom rifle, a $1448 Tikka T3 Sporter in 6.5x55 is really worth a good look (especially since you in the U.S. can buy them for about half of what they cost here in Sweden).

Feedback Score
    So if you are going long action... why not go with a real 6.5 like 6.5x284 or 264 win mag?

In your part of the world I'm sure you've got lots of reasons to use the swede. Here in the states, there isn't a single reason in the world other than someone's need to identify themselves by being different.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    So if you are going long action... why not go with a real 6.5 like 6.5x284 or 264 win mag?
    "Real"? The 6.5x55 is pretty much the original 6.5 (the Carcano wins, but the "Swede" was a close second and has remained more popular with the long range crowd), so I don't know how much more "real" you can get than that? However, if you remember the OP said he has a broken collar bone that gives him problems; I don't think the 6.5x284 or .264 Win Mag would go over too well for him. Actually, all of the calibers you've mentioned thus far have greater recoil energy than the 6.5 Swede - including the .308 Win he's currently looking at!

In your part of the world I'm sure you've got lots of reasons to use the swede. Here in the states, there isn't a single reason in the world other than someone's need to identify themselves by being different.
    So a mild recoil, flat shooting, highly accurate, commonly available caliber would be of no interest in the U.S.? Did you read IcanHitHimMan's previous post? Do you partake in long range shooting yourself? You think the 6.5x284 Norma (another Swedish caliber I might add - speaking of being different) would be less exotic than the long proven and renowned 6.5x55? No offense or disrespect, but your logic falters.

Again, based on the OP's circumstances and intended use, I really do think the Tikka T3 (especially the Sporter) in 6.5x55 is worth a look. Feel free to ask Todd Hodnett about what he thinks of this combo, I hear he knows a thing or two about these things.
    Last edited by skullworks; 03-20-13 at 13:02.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skullworks View Post
    Feel free to ask Todd Hodnett about what he thinks of this combo, I hear he knows a thing or two about these things.
    While you are busy name dropping, trying to get people to buy fringe cartridges for no other reason than it's what you choose... I'll be over here trying to help people make decisions based on things that make sense.

You say the 6.5 swede is superior to 6.5 creed because it can launch heavy bullets faster, then say how the OP wants low recoil and 6.5x284 kicks too much, so it wouldn't matter anyway. You advocate a long action so you can run the 6.5 swede, knowing that it will need to behave exactly like a 6.5 creed, or else kick too much.

A 6.5 creedmoor in a SHORT ACTION running hornady 123 Amax is a combo that is is fairly unbeatable for those looking for flat trajectory and low recoil yet maintains some killing power.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skullworks View Post
    Do you partake in long range shooting yourself?
    No, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast