Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Researching small open-carry revolver for daily retail store use

Feedback Score
    I have a CT LCR and have shot a stainless S&W 640 with the larger CT grips. Compared to the 640/CT, the LCR/CT is brutal with +P ammo as unlike the S&W models and standard Ruger grips, there isn't a flexible recoil pocket. Just something to consider if he might be recoil sensitive. I suspect he is interested in a smaller gun b/c a lot of non-gun people feel that smaller guns are less serious.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You should try to talk your dad into wearing whatever he chooses concealed. This will give him some options that open carry will not. I favor surprise over deterrence in the scenario you pose.

Rosco

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImBroke View Post
    I have a CT LCR and have shot a stainless S&W 640 with the larger CT grips. Compared to the 640/CT, the LCR/CT is brutal with +P ammo as unlike the S&W models and standard Ruger grips, there isn't a flexible recoil pocket. Just something to consider if he might be recoil sensitive. I suspect he is interested in a smaller gun b/c a lot of non-gun people feel that smaller guns are less serious.
    Okay, to make sure I am reading correctly:
    - S&W 640 with CT grips have noticeably better recoil compensation than the LCR/CT.
    - Ruger standard grips also have noticeably better recoil compensation than the grips on the Ruger LCR/CT. (This is where I might be confused).
    Husband, Father, Veteran, Citizen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    You should try to talk your dad into wearing whatever he chooses concealed. This will give him some options that open carry will not. I favor surprise over deterrence in the scenario you pose.

Rosco
    Personally I agree with you. I also wouldn't want the concern of worrying about someone trying to take it from me. I think he is viewing it from two aspects: (1) "If they see I have a gun they will leave me alone" (which is not necessarily true), and (2) "I don't want to take the concealed carry permit class."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If he is absolutely set on a small revolver then go with the biggest grip possible. I have a 442 that the recoil is a bit much with the concealed grip but with a larger hogue I can shoot it all day long. That way its easy to practice with and you aren't concerned about concealment. However as many have said if its open carry why go small? Get a model 10 or 15 in a 4 inch and call it good.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    nevermind
    Last edited by Rosco Benson; 03-18-13 at 17:22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fortibus85 View Post
    Okay, to make sure I am reading correctly:
    - S&W 640 with CT grips have noticeably better recoil compensation than the LCR/CT.
    - Ruger standard grips also have noticeably better recoil compensation than the grips on the Ruger LCR/CT. (This is where I might be confused).
    Yes, for the S&W, the CT 304 and 405 both have a squishy recoil pocket that helps spread the recoil impact making it more comfortable to shoot. The 305 is better in this regard as it's larger.
    For the LCR, the CT laser is hard plastic so there is no give under recoil.
    In addition, the 640 is heavier stainless steel so that helps with recoil as well.
    Both of these are easy to conceal 5 shot guns. But your Dad isn't looking to conceal so he would be better off with a larger easier to shoot revolver like a S&W model 10,13,64,65. They are in the mid 30-oz range and can sometimes be found with 2 and 3" barrels. CT offers laser grips for those as well. He could get a police trade in revolver for ~$300.
    Last edited by ImBroke; 03-18-13 at 17:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    If he is absolutely set on a small revolver then go with the biggest grip possible. I have a 442 that the recoil is a bit much with the concealed grip but with a larger hogue I can shoot it all day long. That way its easy to practice with and you aren't concerned about concealment. However as many have said if its open carry why go small? Get a model 10 or 15 in a 4 inch and call it good.
    He has a 20 year old Ruger .357 with a 4 inch barrel (I don't know which model), so I assume he feels that is too big. He probably thinks it is too conspicuous.

Thanks for the info on the grips.
    Last edited by fortibus85; 03-18-13 at 21:56. Reason: Adding a thank you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, for the S&W, the CT 304 and 405 both have a squishy recoil pocket that helps spread the recoil impact making it more comfortable to shoot. The 305 is better in this regard as it's larger.
    For the LCR, the CT laser is hard plastic so there is no give under recoil.
    In addition, the 640 is heavier stainless steel so that helps with recoil as well.
    Both of these are easy to conceal 5 shot guns. But your Dad isn't looking to conceal so he would be better off with a larger easier to shoot revolver like a S&W model 10,13,64,65. They are in the mid 30-oz range and can sometimes be found with 2 and 3" barrels. CT offers laser grips for those as well. He could get a police trade in revolver for ~$300.
    Thanks for the clarification and additional details. Much appreciated.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    Any thought of something in .327 Federal Magnum?

You can get a small frame revolver with 6 rounds on board as opposed to 5 rounds. While not as powerful as a .357 Magnum the .327 is no slouch, I sure as hell wouldn't want to get shot with one.

Maybe something like this?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast