Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Researching small open-carry revolver for daily retail store use

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Why "small revolver" since it will be "open carry" in the retail store?

Small revolvers are harder to control, harder to shoot accurate for those who does NOT practice and train REGULARLY. I emphasized those two capitalized words on purpose.

I applaud the revolver choice as it is easier to operate for those who does not practice and train regularly, see first paragraph.

A K frame revolver is much easier to control and if the barrel is longer than 2", more forgiving in terms of accuracy. A 2 1/2", 3" or 4" K frame would be the ticket. The 3" is ideal if they can find a model 65 (S&W). The Ruger Security Six and Service Six in 2 3/4" is not a bad choice either.

I would stay away from a semi automatic of any kind if the user is not or does not train/practice regularly. Everyone loves to recommend the G19, but if the user is not or does not have the time to train with it regularly, it's not the best choice.
    Has anyone noticed since the start of this thread only one guy has addressed the most critical choice about you decision to advise your father? The compact revolver really is a masters weapon!
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Has anyone noticed since the start of this thread only one guy has addressed the most critical choice about you decision to advise your father? The compact revolver really is a masters weapon!
    It is true that a small revolver is difficult to shoot well but the chance he would ever have to use it at a range of more than 6 feet is unlikely for the use he is contemplating. I would consider a nice used colt detective special that can be found used in good condition for around $300 and is top quality,has a little weight,small in size and pleasing to look at. Usually the DA pull is not bad either. Good luck with your decision.
    "I show my Colt to my friends,and my Glock to my enemies "

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    This screams for a 3" S&W model 10/64. But those are getting harder to find.

A 3" Ruger SP101 or a 3" model 60 S&W would be a good start.

The 3" Ruger GP100 is a good gun, but he sounds like this might be bigger than what he was looking for.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Researching small open-carry revolver for daily retail store use

I know this is late but....im in the same position as you. My dad (in his late 50s) is not a gun guy and wants something small, light and concealable for making deposits. He too has owned a gun since the late 90s early 00s. Back then he went out and bought a used HK USP40! Since then he probably shot 2 boxes of ammo. Two months ago i bought a used S&W 36 38spl snubby for $200. He is a been begging me to trade with him ever since. He doesnt like the weight, size, thickness of semis

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have seen this many times were a older gentlemen wishes to carry a hand gun for defense but does not want to put any real effort into selection or practice. This is a very bad situation for so many reasons that the gun maybe more of a danger to the owner/others in the area then the bad guy.

First the older gentleman's motor skills and strength are only going to deteriorate with time so open carry may not be the best idea as some young punk may just think he can disarm a older person with speed and strength.

Second many want a very small gun, lite weight with no kick so they go for the .22LR but come to later find that the heavy triggers needed for reliable ignition of a rim fire round is just to much for them to handle with weaker arthritic hands. Then if they choose a .38spl they don't like the weight of the gun or the recoil/blast even with target 148gr wad cutters. Remember the older the owner gets his physical and mental skills are only going to degrade enhancing the above difficulties so this also discards a semi auto as a wise choice.

Then we come back to the unwillingness of the older owner to maintain proficiency with said firearm so with the lack of any retain-able skills with what ever the firearm choice becomes as much as a danger to the owner/bystanders as to any attacker.

In for a penny, in for a pound so I would suggest unless you can get your father to change his current mind set then maybe O/C spray or a personal Taser maybe a better choice.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 04-03-13 at 20:52.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PA PATRIOT View Post
    I have seen this many times were a older gentlemen wishes to carry a hand gun for defense but does not want to put any real effort into selection or practice. This is a very bad situation for so many reasons that the gun maybe more of a danger to the owner/others in the area then the bad guy.

First the older gentleman's motor skills and strength are only going to deteriorate with time so open carry may not be the best idea as some young punk may just think he can disarm a older person with speed and strength.

Second many want a very small gun, lite weight with no kick so they go for the .22LR but come to later find that the heavy triggers needed for reliable ignition of a rim fire round is just to much for them to handle with weaker arthritic hands. Then if they choose a .38spl they don't like the weight of the gun or the recoil/blast even with target 148gr wad cutters. Remember the older the owner gets his physical and mental skills are only going to degrade enhancing the above difficulties so this also discards a semi auto as a wise choice.

Then we come back to the unwillingness of the older owner to maintain proficiency with said firearm so with the lack of any retain-able skills with what ever the firearm choice becomes as much as a danger to the owner/bystanders as to any attacker.

In for a penny, in for a pound so I would suggest unless you can get your father to change his current mind set then maybe O/C spray or a personal Taser maybe a better choice.
    I hear you, but I'm not sure I agree that getting a Taser is a better option, given the same training/dexterity issues discussed. I think it is easier to hurt yourself with a taser than a handgun. IMO. Also, although I mentioned that he is fit, I left out the fact that he has been a dedicated weight lifter for over 50 years, so we aren't talking about an arthritic man walking with a cane. I realize you can only see the picture I painted!

The situation has evolved a bit. Dad is now considering a concealed carry class/permit, if for no other reason than that he realizes it will give him some protection under the law. We are still pursuing the revolver option, and he has agreed to check into a CCW class. I am compiling these responses into a summary and will be forwarding them to him.
    Husband, Father, Veteran, Citizen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fortibus85 View Post
    I hear you, but I'm not sure I agree that getting a Taser is a better option, given the same training/dexterity issues discussed. I think it is easier to hurt yourself with a taser than a handgun. IMO. Also, although I mentioned that he is fit, I left out the fact that he has been a dedicated weight lifter for over 50 years, so we aren't talking about an arthritic man walking with a cane. I realize you can only see the picture I painted!

The situation has evolved a bit. Dad is now considering a concealed carry class/permit, if for no other reason than that he realizes it will give him some protection under the law. We are still pursuing the revolver option, and he has agreed to check into a CCW class. I am compiling these responses into a summary and will be forwarding them to him.
    21 feet, training is the only thing he will have on his side!
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fortibus85 View Post
    He has a 20 year old Ruger .357 with a 4 inch barrel (I don't know which model), so I assume he feels that is too big. He probably thinks it is too conspicuous.
    Finaly. Sounds like a GP or a Security Six? I had a similure discussion with family and would/did say the following.

1. Take him out to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through the pistol he has to go over the pros and con's of the revolver in general.

2. Find a good holster for the pistol he has and do some more practice with it, say a Galco COMBAT MASTER BELT HOLSTER
    RUGER - GP100 or Security Six 4" or SUMMER COMFORT INSIDE PANT HOLSTER- GP100 only.

3. Look at some of the following websites for training tips and sources for classes:
    Snub Training, ael de Bethencourt Lead instructor
    Grant Cunningham, even if he does like Pincus

4. If you have or know someone with a snub then bring it/them with you and let him shoot it also.

I think in general he would be better off with a steel frame model, and perhaps with just the one he has. Until he spends some time with what he has I would just stay in the research mode.

If its one of the larger Ruger models move on.
    Last edited by DMR; 04-10-13 at 10:05.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PA PATRIOT View Post

Wise words but some posters on this forum would say give him a .22 and no training and send him out the door to fend for himself. A gun without training is more of a liability than an asset.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    a 3" Ruger SP101 would be ideal for what he wants IMO.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast