Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions Wanted On SIG P226 (.40 S&W)

ToddG Guest
    I short trigger makes the P220-series guns infinitely more shootable for me. A department refusing to install a standard factory part specifically designed to address human factors/fit issues is just baffling to me. Are you sure the FI doesn't just dislike you personally?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I like the 226 in 9mm, but not really in .40. The high boreline makes muzzle flip in the .40 significantly more than in other .40s in my experience. To be fair, I just don't like .40s generally speaking.

If you want a major caliber, as Todd said, the 220 is more shootable IMO. Actually the 220 is a joy to shoot and perhaps my favorite handgun ever. I sold mine when I went overseas a few years ago and have regretted it ever since. I thought I wanted a double-stack .45, but each one I've tried I've hated.

Can I ask what you don't like the Dot/Post setup on the Sig? I'm always curious about other people's criticisms of different sighting systems.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by HolyRoller View Post
    I checked on that, and SIG has an Individual Officer Purchase deal for all First Responders. All you gotta do is provide all the documentation SIG asks for, get your SIG from an authorized dealer, and take a $100 rebate from the factory. Not too bad. I might not be able to pass it up.
    Ah - the horror! SigSauer killed their military purchase program, and replaced it with a simple $100 rebate!

SigSauer has replaced it with the "Commemorative Pistol Program" for the .mil crowd. Their inside sales rep sent me the details: minimum buy 25 pistols, all same model, all equipped identically, priced at $695/pistol.

Send me a PM if you'd like a copy of the order sheet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    High bore axis and trigger reach have been issues for some ladies and IBOs. What's your hand like?

It's a big gun, and not very size efficient. What are you going to do with it? How about a 229?

Regular inspection of all the pertinents is indicated. A frequent check of the grip panel screws is also indicated. Don't strip the holes. Don't lose screws, as there's important stuff under the panels.

Spares: recoil springs, trigger return spring, decock lever spring, extra set of grip panels and several extra grip screws. Wolf ammo, add an extractor. Make nice with an area Sig armorer for periodic inspection and PM.

Kept in spec the guns run and serve well. Not a first choice, but not a bad one.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I've had excellent luck with all of my SIG/Sauer firearms. My fave in the 226 world is the stamped 9mm. YMMV. I did have a 226 in .357 with the factory .40 bbl. It was great. (I traded it for another 228) The .357 chambering was especially fun, IMO.

No worries. Get one!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I short trigger makes the P220-series guns infinitely more shootable for me. A department refusing to install a standard factory part specifically designed to address human factors/fit issues is just baffling to me. Are you sure the FI doesn't just dislike you personally?
    No, he actually looks out for me as much as possible, and has gotten yelled at a couple times by higher-ups for doing stuff like signing me up for a LE sniper course when they felt like that was not what we need. In turn, the command structure doesn't always do stuff I agree with, but just lately when I'm needing them to back me up on something really fundamental (long story, but somebody at the state level is trying to Prince Harry me off the force), those in power here are pulling out all the stops to help me. This is a government operation, so therefore part of it must make sense, and part of it must not. I'm just glad to be here and if a long SIG trigger is part of it, I can muddle through.
    When life gives you lemons, insert copper and zinc wires in them and repeatedly shock your tongue.

Feedback Score
    The P226 is arguably one of the most tested, proven, and consistently high-performing service pistols of all time. Very few pistols can hold a candle to that.

Most complaints of the P226 come from personal preferences not a shortcoming of the pistol. A great many who've cut their teeth on 1911s or Glocks simply have a hard time adjusting to the pistol as it's ergonomics and trigger action are so different, but their is nothing wrong with it

Bore axis is highly overrated. There are pistols with faster trigger actions. But master class shooters have proven the P220-series pistol to be eminently shootable. Military and LE have proven it to be top-tier reliable and dependable.

I've run virtually every major combat pistol available, but if given the choice to go into harms way in any foreseeable condition, the P226 in 9mm would likely be my choice.

Tim

Feedback Score
    I forgot to add one thing- my experience with all SIG/Sauer products (which has been stellar, overall) has always involved the use of factory mags only.

Sigmundsauer- are you back stateside?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mattjmcd View Post
    Sigmundsauer- are you back stateside?
    Yep, but I've been busier than a bee lately. Haven't been 'round much.

Feedback Score
    I had a mid 1980s vintage P226 for several years, and it was a great gun. The only "problem" it had over many thousands of rounds was with someone else's reloads that turned out to not have powder in them. Other than that, it was 100%. I'd still have it today if the new short reset, short trigger was available when I sold mine. I wish I still had it.

If I were getting one today, it would be in 9mm. I see no reason for the .40 to exist except to sell more guns. I feel the same way about Glocks. The G17 is awesome (although too big for my short, pudgy fingers), but the .40 Glocks ... not so much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12