Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Wanted On SIG P226 (.40 S&W)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question Opinions Wanted On SIG P226 (.40 S&W)

I was thinking of purchasing a pistol and the P226 has always felt good in my hand. My only dislike are the M9 style sights, with the dot and post, but I can easily remedy that.

I was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts and opinions on the pistol and what you think of it, as far as reliability and which parts will break first. My understanding is that all of the new models come standard with a rail. This would be chambered for the .40 S&W round, so if that chambering is more prone to issues, that would be worth telling me.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say,
    Thanks!

ETA:
    Also, just to add, does anyone know who has the best prices on these right now?
    Last edited by BushmasterFanBoy; 03-18-08 at 18:17. Reason: Tell me where to find one for a good price

Feedback Score
    I've owned many Sigs and they have always been one of my fav's. I've had about six P226's if memory serves, the last being a Navy model. All have been chambered in 9mm. I was hard to convert, I always liked the stamped slides but the Navy model swayed me for good. No more worries about roll pin drift, and dampens recoil slightly. The 226 in paticular and any Sig 22x model is renowned for their reliability, after a total of around 16 different Sig's and many thousand rounds of ammo the only functioning problem I ever had was with a first production run 229 in .40 s&w and only a handful of stoppages then.

I remember reading an article about .40 s&w service pistols being tested by the Ohio State Police and the 226 coming out on top based on reliability, HK's USP came in a close second but nothing else was even close to these two.

An ex-seal I used to work with had a older model 226 that had seen so much use the thing was pratically silver inside and out and it still functioned great.

I can't say a lot about the .40 chamberings as I've had only one (229) and one .357 (229, and I loved this one) but the 226 in general is a great choice if you don't mind the size.

I never had much problem with the bar dot sights as I focus very hard only on the front during rapid strings.

Feels like I'm rambling, it's late, I'm tired. 226, good choice. Keep us posted. Good Nite.

Feedback Score
    Can't speak to the P226, but I got issued a P220R DAK not long ago and it works every time so long as I don't rest any appendage near the slide catch. For me, using thumbs up/forward will often prevent slide lock on an empty mag. I went back to the ancient support thumb over strong thumb crossover and had no more problems. Unfortunately, this is different from my 1911 grip so I might need to go to a SIG for off-duty as well to keep my pretty little head from using the wrong grip at the worst time.

If you have SIG questions, you might want to check at www.sigforum.com, which refers you to www.budsgunshop.com where they sell 226s for about $720 delivered, with night sights. Lawmen's Safety Supply in Raleigh NC has them for $680 but I don't know if they'll sell any way other than FTF.
    When life gives you lemons, insert copper and zinc wires in them and repeatedly shock your tongue.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    My agency has been running .40 P226R DAK's for about 4 years now. No issues with the gun. Some of my guys complain that they are too heavy though.

One of our instructors was on a task force for the last couple years and he did find the 226 hard to conceal. Not an issue for most of us.

We switched from the G22 to these.

Funny thing is, the guys that bitch the most, and who would rather have stuck with the Glock, are my worst shooters.

Feedback Score
    i have a 226 in 9mm for my service weapon . its in dao and although i'm not totally crazy for the long pull its a great gun . its not that heavy , and not bad to conceal . its totally reliable and shoots great

Feedback Score
    I have exc luck with my P226 in 9mm, a nice, fun, accurate and reliable pistol.

Bill

Feedback Score
    Sig's have the reputation of being very accurate, highly reliable pistols for a reason, especially the 226. Can't go wrong with a Sig in my eyes.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I owned a 226 in 40S&W, older non-rail model. It was accurate, and reliable, handled well. As far as Sigs in 40 go I prefer the 229, I seem to shoot it faster and more accurately. I do prefer the 226 in 9mm over all the other model Sigs. I'd have to say the 9mm 226 is one of my favorite handguns actually.

Feedback Score
    If you're .mil or LEO, contact SigArms about their discounted pricing.

Two friends of mine picked up P226's in 9mm with night sights and 3 mags for $699...extra mags were $25 or so each IIRC.

Correction: they paid $609! Extra mags were $32 each.

Feedback Score
    I checked on that, and SIG has an Individual Officer Purchase deal for all First Responders. All you gotta do is provide all the documentation SIG asks for, get your SIG from an authorized dealer, and take a $100 rebate from the factory. Not too bad. I might not be able to pass it up.

Also, see if a SIG will fit your hand well, and if the trigger reach is too long, consider another $35 for the factory short trigger. The only two things I don't like about my 220 are the lack of a manual safety and the excessive trigger reach for those of us with stubby fingers. I asked the firearms instructor if he would pretty please put in the factory short trigger, and was told we don't allow ANY modifications to the issued gun. It was hard enough to get him to take out the sight pusher so I could zero my gun--it seems that literally nobody else in the department's history has asked to have their sights adjusted. Properly fitted guns and correctly zeroed sights, leading to more hits and fewer misses and less liability--we can't have any of THAT around here.
    When life gives you lemons, insert copper and zinc wires in them and repeatedly shock your tongue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast