Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For those residing in KY any info is appreciated.

Feedback Score

Re: For those residing in KY any info is appreciated.

I didn't even think about Metro. Yeah they are are always taking apps. Not sure about turnover but under the last chief there was a lot of drama. It seems to be better now. I know a few guys there that are squared away and enjoy the job. Pay level is pretty good for the area in my opinion. It seems that some of them moonlight quite a bit too.

Depending on what side of town (East-West) you are in it can be pretty nice/not so nice
    Depends on what kind of "clientele" you want to serve

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post

I'm not gonna lie though I love me some good BBQ
    Be careful how you define BBQ. I'm not flinging rocks, just pointing out that there are many different interpretations.

Kansas, Carolinas, Texas, Kentucky - all of them are different.

So when you wander into some place in Kentucky and order a BBQ sammich, know what you are getting into.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Be careful how you define BBQ. I'm not flinging rocks, just pointing out that there are many different interpretations.

Kansas, Carolinas, Texas, Kentucky - all of them are different.

So when you wander into some place in Kentucky and order a BBQ sammich, know what you are getting into.
    Good point. Would hate to be "that guy".

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Just to follow up briefly but relocation plans are still being hammered out.

But I have to ask that given a lot of the recent nonsense in the NFA world regarding trusts and CLEO certs are their any particular locales with CLEOs that should be outright avoided for being non NFA friendly? It would literally ruin my year to move in an attempt to avoid some of the constitutional injustices occurring where I am at only to find I still have to deal with such nonsense, even in a 2A friendly state.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    2A friendliness of any state, county, or city is going vary with changes in its political makeup. Legislatures change, police chiefs change, sheriffs change, sometimes with each election. Chasing political constancy in America these days is likely to be a fool's errand.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    2A friendliness of any state, county, or city is going vary with changes in its political makeup. Legislatures change, police chiefs change, sheriffs change, sometimes with each election. Chasing political constancy in America these days is likely to be a fool's errand.
    That goes without saying. But, if I can side step a headache by avoiding an obviously entrenched anti-2A sentiment in a particular locale then that is my preference.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I live in SW Ohio, but am applying for departments in KY as well (mostly northern KY). It's much easier to get on with them, mostly because I don't want to pay to send myself through an academy before getting hired on in OH. I have a ton of coworkers who live in KY, some even as far as Winchester (a 97 mile drive to work), and they all seem to love it. We constantly joke about which state is better haha
    Last edited by sxshep; 09-03-13 at 12:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    jpmuscle, I have nothing to add from the NFA or job prospect angles but I will tell you this: if you have anything more than a passing interest in horses and move to Kentucky you CANNOT miss the Rolex Kentucky 3 Day Event at the KY Horse Park just north of Lexington.

You can't get this close to the action at the Derby:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Check out the city of Jeffersontown, KY. They were recently hiring for their police department and it is a great place to live. I also believe that they are the highest paid LEO in Kentucky.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sxshep View Post
    I live in SW Ohio, but am applying for departments in KY as well (mostly northern KY). It's much easier to get on with them, mostly because I don't want to pay to send myself through an academy before getting hired on in OH. I have a ton of coworkers who live in KY, some even as far as Winchester (a 97 mile drive to work), and they all seem to love it. We constantly joke about which state is better haha
    Sx, you have a PM inbound.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    jpmuscle, I have nothing to add from the NFA or job prospect angles but I will tell you this: if you have anything more than a passing interest in horses and move to Kentucky you CANNOT miss the Rolex Kentucky 3 Day Event at the KY Horse Park just north of Lexington.

You can't get this close to the action at the Derby:

Love me some equine goodness. And that looks like a ton of fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by meausoc View Post
    Check out the city of Jeffersontown, KY. They were recently hiring for their police department and it is a great place to live. I also believe that they are the highest paid LEO in Kentucky.
    Much appreciated, Ill look into it.

ETA - I just followed up with Jeffersontown PD and they were/are accepting apps until 9/6 however they were only giving them out in person until 8/31 so I may be SOL on that one. Ill follow up with the AM in see If I can maybe shmooz someone over.
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 09-04-13 at 00:59.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast