Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you perform a tactical reload on an AK?

Feedback Score

How do you perform a tactical reload on an AK?

I've taken a couple carbine classes with my AR, and we were taught to do a tactical reload as follows:

-draw new mag, keeping muzzle on target
    -grasp base of spent mag along with reload at 90 degrees, roughly parallel to barrel
    -eject and retain spent mag, rotate reload into mag well
    -place spent mag in dump pouch/pocket/etc.

I've never done a class with an AK, so when I tried this method, it seemed awkward due to the release lever and the rocking motion needed to seat the mag. Something is always in the way of something else.

I have been removing the spent mag first, then inserting the reload, but this seems to take longer than it ought to. Is there another technique I'm not aware of that is faster than the one-mag-at-a-time retention method?
    Last edited by 1911-A1; 03-18-13 at 18:50.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If I am every running an AK for speed (rare to never) I keep my muzzle downrange, with my trigger hand while keeping my support hand on the forend, I grab the new magazine and use my thumb to hit the lever and knock free the old magazine. Insert the new mag and use my trigger hand to charge the rifle. I used to use my support hand to knock the magazine loose, but i cracked a hole in a buddys Tapco POS mag, so I tend not to do that anymore. just my 2 cents.

Feedback Score
    I was referring to the "tactical reload" in which the old mag is retained and stored. I think you were describing a "speed reload".

Am I correct?

Also, are you saying you reload with your firing hand?
    Last edited by 1911-A1; 03-18-13 at 19:05.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: How do you perform a tactical reload on an AK?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I was referring to the "tactical reload" in which the old mag is retained and stored. I think you were describing a "speed reload".

Am I correct?

Also, are you saying you reload with your firing hand?
    Assuming you're right handed:
    Left hand grabs a new magazine beer can style
    Slap it against your magazine in the AK
    Use thumb to release that mag and take hold of both mags
    Move your hand over and load new mag
    Put used mag away somewhere
    Continue shooting the American dogs

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I have been removing the spent mag first, then inserting the reload, but this seems to take longer than it ought to. Is there another technique I'm not aware of that is faster than the one-mag-at-a-time retention method?
    Also don't remove your half empty mag first. You might need that while you tac reload. Minimize the amount of time there isn't a loaded mag in your gun.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 03-18-13 at 19:22.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    High-Low.

Grab low on the new mag (beer can grip, as if it needs to be said) towards the baseplate. Bring that hand up and grab high on the new mag by the locking lug. Use the thumb to hit the mag release. Rock the old mag out, new mag in. Keep onto the old mag.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lightestfighter View Post
    High-Low.

Grab low on the new mag (beer can grip, as if it needs to be said) towards the baseplate. Bring that hand up and grab high on the new mag by the locking lug. Use the thumb to hit the mag release. Rock the old mag out, new mag in. Keep onto the old mag.
    I think you explained it better than me, comrade.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I prefer the reload with retention over the Tac load when working with an AK

Feedback Score
    I always remove the old mag first, stow it, then replace with fresh. I'd rather not juggle those mags and bungle the reload. never bought the 'advantage" of knowing you had one to replace it with, and in all the training and field practice it never became an issue. if it ever did, I'd transition to pistol.

Just more gross motor movement friendly as those big fat sharp heavy AK mags are not like AR mags in the hand, so reloading with them is just not the same.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O View Post
    I always remove the old mag first, stow it, then replace with fresh. I'd rather not juggle those mags and bungle the reload. never bought the 'advantage" of knowing you had one to replace it with, and in all the training and field practice it never became an issue. if it ever did, I'd transition to pistol.

Just more gross motor movement friendly as those big fat sharp heavy AK mags are not like AR mags in the hand, so reloading with them is just not the same.
    I actually think tac reloading with an AK is easier than with an AR.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Never shot an AK but I believe the mag release is in front of the trigger guard so I would do as follows:

1. Grab new mag with support hand (keep weapon on target)
    2. Bring new mag up to spent mag in L-shape method with beer can grip (that way you can hit the mag release with support thumb, advise against beer can with AR)
    3. Pull spent mag out, twist down and insert new mag
    4. Toss spent mag into dump pouch/pocket or dedicated pouch
    5. Charge weapon and continue to fire.
    Last edited by Endur; 03-19-13 at 04:30.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast