Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you perform a tactical reload on an AK?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endur View Post
    2. Bring new mag up to spent mag in L-shape method with beer can grip (that way you can hit the mag release with support thumb, advise against beer can with AR)
    In L-shape method? I don't follow.

4. Toss spent mag into dump pouch/pocket or dedicated pouch
    The mag still has ammo, fishing it out of a dump pouch isn't a great idea, imo. But it's better than dropping it I guess.

5. Charge weapon
    Why?
    Last edited by Koshinn; 03-19-13 at 05:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    I actually think tac reloading with an AK is easier than with an AR.

A LOT of things are easier about the AK than the AR.

------------

heres the bottom line for me: do what works best for you. if you can reliably hold two mags in your support hand while maintaining muzzle control and not dropping anything then go for it. it's a TACTICAL reload... you have some time for it to happen so take that time and make it count. with enough practice about anything can be made workable and I'm not gonna be the guy that tells you to un-do years of muscle memory especially if it's working for you.
    Last edited by Jack-O; 03-19-13 at 11:58.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    On the AK, I just bring the empty to the dump pouch on the way to pick up the fresh mag. I keep is simple. For me, this is faster than monkey-****ing with trying to keep two mags in the same hand and work the mag release.

(Apparently, I just described a reload with retention!)

The only diff between that and an Emergency Reload is in an E-Reload, I affirmatively rip the mag out and let it drop instead of bringing it to the dump pouch.

That way, I am always working the mag release with my support-side thumb too.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 03-19-13 at 12:34.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    I prefer the reload with retention over the Tac load when working with an AK
    I agree, though not from AK experience but through G3 experience. Mag release is similar. The technique we used for all reloads was the reload with retention. That was the biggest hurdle for me when transitioning to the HK416, having my support hand not reach for the Magazine, but grab a fresh one from the pouch instead.
    Last edited by Arctic1; 03-19-13 at 14:26.
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I was referring to the "tactical reload" in which the old mag is retained and stored. I think you were describing a "speed reload".

Am I correct?

Also, are you saying you reload with your firing hand?

Yes that is what I am saying. it is faster for me.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    In L-shape method? I don't follow.

The mag still has ammo, fishing it out of a dump pouch isn't a great idea, imo. But it's better than dropping it I guess.

Why?
    Not sure if that is sarcasism or not but you take the new mag curve upwards (if right handed, mag is in pouch with the curve of the mag pointing to the left and opposite if left handed. or bullets to the right if right handed and left if left handed), bring it to the side of the spent mag (clasp mags together with hand), hit mag release and twist downwards so the new mag is in position to be inserted in the magwell. I was assuming mag was spent and same with why I said charge weapon. I was under the impression ak's bolt does not lock to the rear on an empty mag. If I am wrong feel free to correct me, like I said I have never shot an ak, just handled Iraqi ones.
    Last edited by Endur; 03-19-13 at 22:57.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    For AKs I prefer to remove the magazine first, regardless of reload type. If I have the time/opportunity/inclination I will retain the empty/partial as appropriate.
    Different strokes for different folks and all, I found that the size of 7.62 AK mags, the release style, lack of bolt hold-open, charging handle location, and the need to manipulate the CH to ensure that a round is chambered (unless you are really good at counting rounds and tracking partial mags, which I am not when in a gunfight), pushed me toward my approach, based on my hand size and skill.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    For AKs I prefer to remove the magazine first, regardless of reload type. If I have the time/opportunity/inclination I will retain the empty/partial as appropriate.
    Different strokes for different folks and all, I found that the size of 7.62 AK mags, the release style, lack of bolt hold-open, charging handle location, and the need to manipulate the CH to ensure that a round is chambered (unless you are really good at counting rounds and tracking partial mags, which I am not when in a gunfight), pushed me toward my approach, based on my hand size and skill.

you touched on the main reason I do it like I do... you cant run the CH with another mag in your hand.

thus
    -remove and stow
    -insert fresh mag
    -run charging handle

if at any point in cycle you need to engage a threat then use the round in the chamber while reloading and procedure remains the same

this one simple drill not only simplifies reloading but also is your malfunction drill for a failure to fire. it does double duty.

the only other reload procedure you might want for the AK is the "hitting the mag release with the new mag" and inserting. A speed reload/emergency reload.

This training school method of two mags in one hand while reloading for a tactical reload serves no benefit in real life and only complicates things. speed is just not so big of an issue in a tac reload that doubling the risk of dropping a mag and slowing it down further makes any sense. least it never has for me, but I have normal hands and adrenaline makes me jittery.

AK is simple to run and many questions get answered thru simple doing. Folks only make it harder trying to "improve" things or overthink it.
    Last edited by Jack-O; 03-22-13 at 13:09.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    But if there's a round in the chamber, why are you running the charging handle? Or do you reload the same way regardless if it's a tactical reload or emergency reload?
    Last edited by Koshinn; 03-22-13 at 13:18.

Feedback Score
    You do it the exact same way as with an AR. Only difference is the way you hold the mag. Tac reloads are extremely easy with an AK if you train them, easier for me than with a pistol.

AND yes you can and do run charging handle with a magazine in the hand. Israeli method of running the gun over (instead of Russian under) is in this drill superior. Charging handle is operated with the hypothenal muscles instead of fingers, which works just the same in high stress or if holding something in your hand. Hell it works even if you have no fingers.

If you are unsure if you have a round in a chamber or not when doing tac reloads, there are two easy methods to make sure. Whilst putting the mag away feel the top of it with the support hand index finger: if you can feel a round there is one in the chamber too. If there isn't or if you can't feel with your fingers, simply rack the slide or do a press check.

I'm teaching people this stuff, and it isn't the rocket science you make out of it.

Here are a couple of pics about it:

Grip

Manipulation of CH
    Last edited by Jippo; 03-22-13 at 14:09. Reason: added pics.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast