Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you perform a tactical reload on an AK?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I do the Hi-lo side-by-side method when there's plenty of time, and not much stress, for AK or G3.

My default reaction, though, is to reach for the mag, and I'll thumb the release and either retain or let it drop, situation dependent, then swap and go.

In a tac reload with time, I'll either look at or touch the mag coming out of the gun to see if there's a round there. With tons of time, I'll do a chamber check against the selector. Either way, then the handle gets run if it needs it. In a hurry, I just run the handle...have to think about it to not just run it as a default.

Charging handle for me is run from underneath with the left hand and about a 20 deg cant to the right. Off the left shoulder, obviously, it's simple.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jippo View Post

AND yes you can and do run charging handle with a magazine in the hand. Israeli method of running the gun over (instead of Russian under) is in this drill superior.

Grip

Manipulation of CH
    try that with an optic on the rifle.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    But if there's a round in the chamber, why are you running the charging handle? Or do you reload the same way regardless if it's a tactical reload or emergency reload?

when teaching beginners I teach to run the handle to instill muscle memory and consistent handling.

In practice I only run the handle if I feel the need or have doubt about the status, but i've moved way past thoughtless manipulations of my weapons.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O View Post
    try that with an optic on the rifle.
    You think I haven't tried? It does not change things as you are supposed to cant the rifle .

Feedback Score
    and you can make it work under stress?

Feedback Score
    Of course. Also works in complete darkness and/or in the extremely cold weather. If it didn't, it'd have no utility for me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like that, I hand't considered performing the charging handle manipulation with the magazine. I'm going to have to start training that.

Thanks!

-Jenrick

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jenrick View Post
    I like that, I hand't considered performing the charging handle manipulation with the magazine. I'm going to have to start training that.

Thanks!

-Jenrick
    It looks like he is using the bottom of his palm while still holding the mag.

Feedback Score
    Yup, use the meaty part of your palm, opposite to where your thumb is connected. Keep the buttstock firmly pressed against your body in the armpit, point muzzle up to keep levers, wells etc. in your working space. When working with the magazine, cant the gun outwards to reach the bottom of the gun better. When working the Charging handle cant the gun inwards. If you use an AK with an upwards pointing CH like new model RK's or Galil the cant is quite subtle, but it can be quite substantial (near horisontal) with large optics and regular AK's.

Racking the gun is done using the large muscles in your arm, palm turned towards your face. It is better to use force when racking: it will not hurt the gun but it will increase reliability of the action especially when the gun is dirty or frozen. Pull the motion through to ensure full movement of the action, that is: hand will slip off the CH & movement will continue when the BCG slams the rear of the receiver.

This is system of operating the AK is near "idiot-proof" and as uncomplicated as possible. There is one caveat to this that you should be aware of, though. When doing racking the AK the trick is to hit first the rifle at the end of the hand guard just in front of the charging handle. People do often aim the charging handle itself, which is fine if you hit it right. But sooner or later when the speed increases the charging strike will hit only the tip of CH which will cause the CH to puncture your glove, or even worse your palm. Same thing happens if you have your thumb pointing towards your face when racking.
    Last edited by Jippo; 04-02-13 at 11:04.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123