Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is this the place to ask about air rifles?

Feedback Score

is this the place to ask about air rifles?

Well...none of the other forums came close...so I thought I'd ask this here.

Since I have not seen 22LR ammo in going on 3.5 months...I have thought about selling a few of my "lesser" 22 rifles and getting one nice pellet rifle. 177 and even 22 pellets seem to be everywhere and not hard to find at all. Also...plenty cheap.

I was wondering if any of the 250 dollar or under pellet rifles are worth owning. Anyone have one of the Gamo or other pellet rifles?

I was wanting this mainly for short range plinking and maybe squirrels or raccoons at 25-35 yards. Things my cheapo 22s USED to do back in the good ol' days when you could find 22LR ammo.

Anyone recommend an air rifle in the 250 dollar range? Several websites have Gamo and others in the 200-250 range (some with 4X scopes) but honestly...I do not know anyone that has one. The Gamo Big Cat looks interesting for the price.

Any advice on this...as well as an answer to the 22 vs 177 caliber pellet question would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Brickboy240

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I don't have an answer in regards to the air rifle question, but it's acceptable to have it in here since there's no other place but general.

Enjoy

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    My relatives have all manner of cheaper (sub $200) pellet guns and they clear out the squirrels quite well to 30 yards. It's more shooter dependent than anything else, like most things.

It is a different shooting experience, pellet vs 22LR IMO - but for squirrel control it works well. I have a cheap pump pellet pistol and have tagged a couple squirrels from 10-15 yds and scared quite a few beyond that as well.

Glad I stocked up on 22 last ammo craze, when there was plenty to go around. Still shooting it and have 10K to go.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 03-19-13 at 18:11.

Feedback Score
    I would steer clear of Gamo. You're better off with a pneumatic over a spring piston. Even a cheapo crosman multi-pump will give you better results than a Gamo. A little better than crosman is a Benjamin pneumatic.

Personally, I own PCP's (AirArms and FX) but that's far above your budget. And with PCP's you need the supporting equipment, but if you want something "good" a PCP is the only way to go. I primarily shoot .22 JSB Exacts in all my guns.

One thing you have to understand about spring piston airguns like the gamo is they recoil differently than a powderburner so you cannot just put any scope on them. A PCP or pneumatic (pump-type) does not have the same scope limitations so you can use any scope you want that fits, although you might want to use one that can adjust for parallax at the distances you will be shooting.

If you're going to be shooting squirrels etc. then IMO you're better off with a .22 pellet gun. I've shot many vermin with .177 over the years but a .22 is more effective for that task.

My 2cents.
    Last edited by bigbang; 03-19-13 at 18:24.
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, GOA member

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I have a pile of air rifles. I recommend a Weirauch HW95 if you could only have one. Made in Germany.

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Weihrauch.htm

JSB pellets are tops.

Buy .177 unless you step up to a precharged pneumatic, then go .22

I have match air rifles, several European precharged pneumatics, Benjamin and Sheridan customized pump guns and a bunch of springers. They are a blast to shoot.

Keeps the yen and yang in harmony. Full auto one day, Airguns the next.

PM if you have any questions.

Have fun
    RFA
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    RFA,

Nice to run into another airgun shooter.

I recently found my old Beeman C1 w/blue ribbon scope in my parents garage. She's in rough shape after 30 years but hope to begin the rebuild/refurbish soon. She'll have to wait until I finish my AR though, LOL.

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbang View Post

I recently found my old Beeman C1 w/blue ribbon scope in my parents garage. She's in rough shape after 30 years but hope to begin the rebuild/refurbish soon.
    Yellow Forum is the bet place for Airguns advice. Very knowledgable group and extremely helpful.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/
    Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 03-19-13 at 21:30.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready.Fire.Aim View Post
    Yellow Forum is the bet place for Airguns advice. Very knowledgable group and extremely helpful.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/
    Yup, been a member there for years. Preoccupied with "stuff" so I don't post much as of late. I jump on there occasionally to see if yrrah has done more amazing long range shooting or to see what's going on.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Tryed a Gamo once took it back after 5 shots and bought the old Benjamin .22 air rifle, not what they used to be but still packs a punch. I was shocked at the power.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by texasgunhand View Post
    Tryed a Gamo once took it back after 5 shots and bought the old Benjamin .22 air rifle, not what they used to be but still packs a punch. I was shocked at the power.
    There's a company in california called Mac 1. They do custom airguns and one of their specialties is the old benjamin .22. http://www.mac1airgunshop.com/benjam...-p/stbi392.htm

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast