Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk Me Out of a Suppressor

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Talk Me Out of a Suppressor

Hey guys, I'm looking at beginning to build my way towards a suppressor for my home defense handgun (pay tax stamp, save up and buy threaded barrel, save up until everything clears and get the suppressor). I have a few questions, though. I live in Louisiana by the way, which is probably the least strict state in the country with firearms.

Do I need an actual Class III license or whatever, or just apply for the tax stamp for the suppressor? Also, and more importantly - I've seen tests show that on a 9mm, the average suppression seems to be from around 160db to around 120+db...which is still enough to damage your hearing permanently, right? So what's the point then, for my application (primarily home defense) if my hearing is going to be damaged either way if I ever have to use it? This is the biggest question in my mind right now and the only answer I can come up with is that it may help protect the hearing of my family if they are nearby. Opinions?

Feedback Score
    You don't need a "license" to buy a suppressor, you apply for a $200 tax stamp which gets affixed to an ATF Form 4.

Locate a dealer and they will handle the paperwork for you. You provide passport quality photos (which will go on your form with your tax stamp) and finger prints, unless they also do that. Unless you get a trust you will have to take the Form 4 to your chief law enforcement officer to sign off. They were talking about doing away with the CLEO signoff but I'm not sure if they are doing that now. My county sheriff signed off on mine.
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, GOA member

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I feel like I can go either route. A sheriff's signoff may not be too difficult since I know a few people around here with suppressors, but I also worked for a law firm for over 4 years and am close with that group of people as well.

Do you guys with suppressors think it would be a viable upgrade though? I almost get the feeling it is more for 'cool factor' than anything with a lot of what I'm reading, due to the fact that the gun will still be VERY loud even with the suppressor...and that's a lot of extra weight to add, along with rendering the sights much less usable.

Feedback Score
    It still makes noise and isn't anything like the soft whisper in the movies but isn't that loud with subsonic ammo. You will be doing your ears a HUGE favor if you ever have to shoot rounds off in your home, god forbid that happens, but you will save your ears for sure.

That said, I don't know what to think about using, and possibly losing, my can if I ever did have to shoot someone in self defense in my house. To have LE confiscate my pistol "as evidence" is bad enough, but taking my pistol AND my can would piss me off to no end. But it is only money, LOL.

Why don't you try shooting some cans before you make the leap of buying? If you're unsure that is what I would suggest before dropping any money. My dealer let me shoot a bunch of different cans on a bunch of different hosts with subsonic and supersonic ammo through centerfire and rimfire rifles and handguns.
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, GOA member

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'll have to see if I can find any, but I don't know of any local gun stores that have suppressors in stock. And the people that I know well enough to shoot with all have suppressed .22's (which seems really expensive for an already quiet toy to me but to each his own lol). I understand what you mean about if you ever had to lose the suppressor to police confiscation, but honestly that would be the least of my worries (behind the fact that I'd shot someone / shot at someone, and the fact that I now had no suppressed weapon to protect my hearing lol. I guess I see the suppressor as a tool, and it would have done its job at that point.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: Talk Me Out of a Suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by aaron_c View Post
    I'll have to see if I can find any, but I don't know of any local gun stores that have suppressors in stock. And the people that I know well enough to shoot with all have suppressed .22's (which seems really expensive for an already quiet toy to me but to each his own lol). I understand what you mean about if you ever had to lose the suppressor to police confiscation, but honestly that would be the least of my worries (behind the fact that I'd shot someone / shot at someone, and the fact that I now had no suppressed weapon to protect my hearing lol. I guess I see the suppressor as a tool, and it would have done its job at that point.
    Shoot the guy, take off the suppressor and roll it into your closet, lol.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

A suppressor is worth the money and effort. My neighbour made the same comment that a 22lr didn't need to be suppressed. So I let him shoot my Walther P22 with no suppressor and he later told me his ears rang until the next morning.

Sorry if I missed it but, what gun do you want to suppress?

And for the most Bang (I mean lack of bang) for your buck I recommend an SWR Octane 45 HD. Excellent quality and customer service and less than $ 650.00. With the Oct45 you can shoot 45 ACP and sub cals ,40 S&W,9 MM, .357 Mag, 38 Spl, .380, 300 AAC blk (subs.) And since it is user serviceable you could shoot 22 lr out of it with no worries of lead build up.

In this NFA thread look at the topic Silencer comparison video by Fireman 1291. And if you go to his Y-tube channel he has a video about shooting un/suppressed indoors.

Kevin

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for the reply, Kevin. It's a Glock 19 I'm wanting to suppress. I remember seeing the SWR Octane, isn't it the one that is relatively small as well?

Feedback Score
    Aaron, just to be clear, you have to buy the suppressor before you start the paperwork. The Form 4 is specific to a particular suppressor with its serial number.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by aaron_c View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Kevin. It's a Glock 19 I'm wanting to suppress. I remember seeing the SWR Octane, isn't it the one that is relatively small as well?
    It is similar to other leading manufactures in respect to size and weight. But the shining point is the CAT SS baffles. They contain all the gunk. Go to Y-tube and watch how the Oct45/9 is disassembled cleaned/reassembled compared to an AAC Ti-Rant.

The Oct45 is slightly longer/heavier than the Oct9, but you may have a 45/40 planned in the future that you don't know about yet.

I have an Silco Osprey and Sparrow in my possession, and an Oct45 transferring to my c3 dealer. Osprey is nice but, I'm working on a Ruger 77/357 SBR and need a can that will handle the 357 mag. After cleaning the Sparrow not having to force the baffles out of the tube because of gunk is awesome.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast