Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: aimpoint micro t1 vs compm4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I think a better setup would be an ACOG and then the H-1 or T-1 on the DD mount (offset).
    At that point aren't you starting to get into the S&B short dot price range? I'd rather have one variable power optic than two fixed ones.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post
    At that point aren't you starting to get into the S&B short dot price range? I'd rather have one variable power optic than two fixed ones.

Well no, not really. I have been putting a lot of thought into what makes a Short Dot so good and if there is REAL alternative out there. So I started to crunch some weight and cost numbers and here is what I realized.

If you take a Trijicon TA33-8 (compact ACOG) and an Aimpoint H-1, you have a total cost of around $1188 and a total weight of around 11 ounces.

A S&B Short Dot will run you at least $2K and then you need a LT SPR mount ($195). Weight on this setup is around 25 ounces.

Now let's look at what you gain and lose. With the TA33/H-1 combo you save around $1k. You also save 14 ounces! This combo is also faster in going from a TRUE 1X to a 3X as you do not have to rotate the dial on the short dot.
    You also gain run time as the ACOG does not use batteries and the H-1 has around 50,000hrs of run time. The short dot battery only lasts about 100hrs.
    The last key difference is the robustness of this package. If the Short Dot becomes broken, you are left with just your irons. If either the ACOG or H-1 breaks, you still have another optic! Two is one and one is none.

I plan on running this exact setup in the very near future as I believe that this configuration is actually better, cheaper and lighter than a Short Dot.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 03-25-08 at 16:48.

Feedback Score
    If you take a Trijicon TA33-8 (compact ACOG) and an Aimpoint H-1, you have a total cost of around $1188 and a total weight of around 11 ounces.

C4
    Maybe for you. On your website you list the TA33-8 for $841.50, the H-1 for $522 and the DD offset mount is $40ish. That puts you right around $1400. Still cheaper than the S&B and lighter. You have certainly given this more thought than I have and you made some points that I had not considered. Still there is something that gives me the willies hanging a $500 optic off the side of a carbine. I am the proverbial bull in the china shop and would have nightmares about bouncing the H-1 off the odd door frame.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post
    Maybe for you. On your website you list the TA33-8 for $841.50, the H-1 for $522 and the DD offset mount is $40ish. That puts you right around $1400. Still cheaper than the S&B and lighter. You have certainly given this more thought than I have and you made some points that I had not considered. Still there is something that gives me the willies hanging a $500 optic off the side of a carbine. I am the proverbial bull in the china shop and would have nightmares about bouncing the H-1 off the odd door frame.

No, not for me, but the consumer! I priced that as a package deal for everybody.

I would not have any concerns about the H-1 mount at the 1 position as it and the mount are both solid as a rock.

C4

Feedback Score
    Well no, not really. I have been putting a lot of thought into what makes a Short Dot so good and if there is REAL alternative out there. So I started to crunch some weight and cost numbers and here is what I realized.

A S&B Short Dot will run you at least $2K and then you need a LT SPR mount ($195). Weight on this setup is around 25 ounces.

Now let's look at what you gain and lose. With the TA33/H-1 combo you save around $1k. You also save 14 ounces! This combo is also faster in going from a TRUE 1X to a 3X as you do not have to rotate the dial on the short dot.
    You also gain run time as the ACOG does not use batteries and the H-1 has around 50,000hrs of run time. The short dot battery only lasts about 100hrs.
    The last key difference is the robustness of this package. If the Short Dot becomes broken, you are left with just your irons. If either the ACOG or H-1 breaks, you still have another optic! Two is one and one is none.

I plan on running this exact setup in the very near future as I believe that this configuration is actually better, cheaper and lighter than a Short Dot.

C4
    I will give you the points on this being lighter and cheaper than the Short Dot, and also on the two is one. It has been noted by those using these weapons in harms way that the reticle of the ACOG can be lost in certain lighting conditions. The T1 wouldn't have these issues but the mounting of it at an angle on the handguard will cause you to have more of your body exposed when slicing the pie to the right from the left shoulder. I think, but could be wrong?
    The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by UPSguy View Post
    I will give you the points on this being lighter and cheaper than the Short Dot, and also on the two is one. It has been noted by those using these weapons in harms way that the reticle of the ACOG can be lost in certain lighting conditions. The T1 wouldn't have these issues but the mounting of it at an angle on the handguard will cause you to have more of your body exposed when slicing the pie to the right from the left shoulder. I think, but could be wrong?

I have rarely if EVER seen an ACOG with the glow rod, be washed out (takes some effort). In that rare instance, you could just switch to the Aimpoint.

No moving your body with the DD offset optics mount. You just slightly turn your weapon and pick it up. This is MUCH FASTER than having to spin the dial on the Short Dot.

If you transition from right shoulder to left, you simply rotate the weapon slightly out (to your left) and pick it up.

C4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234