Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308 16" L/W rifle length gas build

Feedback Score

308 16" L/W rifle length gas build

I have been wanting to shoot a 16" .308 with a rifle length gas system since seeing Buckjay's 16" LMT build. I had a CMMG 18" mid length complete that I got for $1100 in early 2012. I sold the 18" barrel and ordered a Fulton Armory 16" L/W with rifle length gas system. I went this afternoon shot it on paper at 25yds then to 100yds.

First 2 shots low turned the Leupold 1.5x5 up 1" and fired 8 more shots. Its shoots better than I expected for a lightweight barrel and it so soft to shoot compared to my other mid-length 308's.

ETA:Build info 12" Troy TRX with Noveske bipod stud ,Noveske quick detach socket, JP trigger, JP low mass BCG 5 oz lighter than a standard BCG,Vltor A5 RE with H3 buffer, Mapul STR and Magpul Moe +. 16" Light Weight Fulton Armory barrel has .625 gas block seat BCM gas block. ETA: scope is the Leupold 1.5x5 CMR-2 reticle.
    Last edited by archad; 03-23-13 at 21:33. Reason: build info

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thats a slick looking piece. I also have a 308 AR in process that getting a Fulton Armory barrel (sourced from Criterion I believe). It is getting one of their 20" heavy contour barrels. Lower/upper is SI Defense, rail is a TRX-308 just like yours.

I think that the 16" rifle gas is a fantastic combo for a 308 AR. About as light and fast-handling as you can get for a 308 Win semi auto rifle...

I also imagine that it will shoot better with a couple more rounds down the pipe.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Nice build & smokepole.

enjoy !

Feedback Score
    Nice rifle OP!

Feedback Score
    Nice looking rig OP. How many rounds have you fired through it and have you had any failures?

Feedback Score
    twisted: I have fired only 14 rounds so far.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm very interested in this project.

Please update this with accuracy and reliability info as much as possible.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by archad View Post
    twisted: I have fired only 14 rounds so far.
    I feel your pain. I got my Sig 716 in early December. I have just recently shot it past the 150 mark.

Feedback Score
    Also very interested in reliability potential of rifle length gas in barrels <20".
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    Same deal with intermediate length gas on a 16 5.56. Or mid-length gas on a 13.5, or rifle-length on an 18.

As long as it's a *competently* factory produced barrel (not something somebody chopped off 4 inches off the end and called it good) with a properly engineered gas port, then it should be reliable.
    Cheap milsurp 7.62 would be the test ammo ran with a dirty, gummed up bolt/carrier in all temp ranges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast