Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 308 16" L/W rifle length gas build

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carbinero View Post
    Also very interested in reliability potential of rifle length gas in barrels <20".
    Same here. I currently have an Armalite AR10 w/ 20" barrel, and while I do like the setup, a more compact package would be nice. Looking how little barrel there is after the gas block does have me curious as to reliability as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Rifle length gas and 16" 7.62mm barrel -- its be done

Edit - note AR10 has a longer than rifle length gas system -- would not chop less than 17.25" unless your planning dedicated can setup
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    1) Different bullet weights and different powder burn rates make for different gas port pressure and time under pressure. The longer the gas systems and shorter the barrel after the gas port the more effect it has on cycling. I find the 7.62 AR to be more sensitive to this than the AR-15.

2) It's important to realize that at some point "soft shooting" becomes "likely to choke" if it gets dirty or is underlubed.

I'm not claiming this is going to be unreliable, but I would put a lot of rounds (the same ones that will be used for defense) through it before making it a defensive weapon.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Sorry for the resurrection guys but I'm checking around on the 16" w/rifle length gas system combo before I start having my 20" AR-10T bbl chopped.

archdad,

Do you know what your port size is?

KevinB,

Have you seen anyone remedy the <17.25" Armalite issue by opening the gas port?

Thanks Guys,
    Keith

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12