Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Primer Question 5.56/.223

Feedback Score
    Hell I just shot off a few hundred 55 grainers all loaded with FED 205 primers, WIN 748 and LC brass and they all shot fine, so i guess I will shoot them all up.
    Sorry Demigod
    "Airborne Shooter"

Feedback Score
    Even worse than 205's are the Wolf small rifle non- magnum's that I just loaded with 844 and 2230 in LC cases. Some of the best groups yet and no pressure signs. The chronograph doesn't lie either....

Mikey

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    i use CCI 400 rifle primers. never had a slamfire or a FTF.

Feedback Score
    Listen to Alaska. If you don"t worry about slam fires just look at the unfired primer of a live round that was chambered during actual firing (not manually chambered) It will have a dent in it, the actual depth of the dent will depend on the hardness of the primer cup. And yes I have personally had a slam fire. The evil of slam fires is that they mostly happen before the bolt is locked. the slam fire I had was with an m 1 grand with a federal match primer. one of the locking lugs was cracked and the other one was galled and the locking lug recesses were galled and the receiver (real steel not alum.) was cracked just behinded the rear sight base. I got a face full of gas but the only harm was a flinch that took a while to get rid of. --------------------------he went into younder village and never returned.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Reifert View Post
    After all of the posts that I've read on this websight about the virtues of the Colt AR due to their close adherance to the true mil-spec, I'm shocked that you wouldn't use the the CCI No. 41 Mil-Spec primers exclusively.
    I do.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT D USMC View Post
    Listen to Alaska. If you don"t worry about slam fires just look at the unfired primer of a live round that was chambered during actual firing (not manually chambered) It will have a dent in it, the actual depth of the dent will depend on the hardness of the primer cup. And yes I have personally had a slam fire. The evil of slam fires is that they mostly happen before the bolt is locked. the slam fire I had was with an m 1 grand with a federal match primer. one of the locking lugs was cracked and the other one was galled and the locking lug recesses were galled and the receiver (real steel not alum.) was cracked just behinded the rear sight base. I got a face full of gas but the only harm was a flinch that took a while to get rid of. --------------------------he went into younder village and never returned.
    Thanks, this is one of those "Why didn't I freaken listen to that advice" kind of situations I am trying to avoid. I just traded for a NEW M1A. I am "assuming" that was a reaload that slamed fired on you. I think I will go with the harder ones to avoid the possabilty of that "Why didn't I freaken listen to that advice" and feel better. Done enough screw ups in my life and don't need any more.

Thanks to ALL the imputs. That is why I like this site. Just sit back and read and learn.

Feedback Score
    The CCI #41 primers are good insurance no doubt.

As for the dent in the primer, I'm just a coyote hunter but here's my take on the matter. I was hunting a contest one time and we were in and out of the truck all day. Of course this meant dropping the mag and removing the chambered round, as it wound up I never fired that shell until late in the evening. It was probably chambered a dozen times that day and only went off when I asked it to. I quit worrying about it after that. Always pay attention to the muzzle, reguardless of the primer used.

Feedback Score
    I don't want to stray too far from the subject of primers, but with the m1a and the m1 grand , choosing the right powder for reloading is very important. port pressure, the amount of gas pressure at the gas port during fireing, is important and excess pressure will cause the rifle to batter the operating rod if the powder is too slow. the m1 grand was loaded exclusively with 4895 (imr 4895 or H4895) if it cycles slow you can use imr 4064. the same works well with an M1A plus win 748 works well. The M1A is not quite as finicky with power burning speed becuase it has a gas cut off built in after the piston moves a certain distance. use hard primers with both. M1's have historicaly been more prone to sosft primers than M1A's and ar 15' even less common.

the slam fire I had with the M1 was one of my reloads. Enjoy your New M1A, I carried one in viet nam as a young marine. Now I am old and opiniated I belive the M-14 to be superior to the M-16 for a very wierd reason plus all the comon reasons. The M14 is superior to the M16 because of it's recoil. Yes, the light recoil of the M-16 causes alot of shots to be taken completely out of position when in combat. pushing the M-16 around your cover and spraying does not produce hits. Sure no one does this at the range or in a rifle course while under the eye of the instructor. But it happens in combat more often than you would think. The M14 has enough recoil that it is almost always shot from the shoulder, and as long as it is in your sholder, why not use the sights, this .causes hits . -------------------------------he went into younder village and never returned.
    14 is

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I am fully amuzed by people who proclaim, "It hasn't happened to me yet, so I have nothing to worry about."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast