Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a 3" GP100 in 357?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not a GP100 -or- SP101; exactly- but a Security Six which is close enough to the GP100...

For years I carried my Ruger Security Six w/ 1.75" snub-nose; mostly OC, but sometimes CC. I'd use a shoulder holster for CC as that is the only pratical way I could do it; the right clothing was important...

It was a beast to lug around; kind of like having a stainless steel brick with you everywhere you go.

Once I got into & shot enough semi-auto pistols to trust them I stopped carrying the wheel guns (At least 99% of the time)- it only goes walking with me on mountain trips/camping/fishing/hunting/etc and stuff like that where the full throttle .357 magnum loads might be needed.

It is a perfect bed-side drawer gun though and that is where it stays 99% of the time these days.

Carry what works for you, what you are comfortable carrying and what you can shoot well.

My preferred carry weapon can change from day to day, month to month based on the specific outing, specific regional laws and or weather/time of year. Carry what makes the most overall sense.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by das View Post
    I am considering a 3" 357 mag GP100. Is it concealable? I know they are heavy.
    too heavy on the hip....I do like mine in a shoulder rig though (fall/winter carry)

Feedback Score
    I have a 3" GP100 and do on occasion carry concealed. Best done with a heavy cover garment like a coat. As for the weight I can't tell that much difference between the Ruger and my XD 45. If you do decided to go with the GP100 you will need a very good,stout holster that will hold it tight to your torso and not let it shift and move around. Here is a picture of my GP100 and XD after a little workout at the range.

Feedback Score
    IMO it is an excellent carry piece, but this is speaking as an old timer who regularly carried my 3 1/2" 27 every day on duty and off, the Ruger will handle my favorite load all day long, 145 grain Winchester Silver tip,

ONe of the best holsters I have seen for it is the old Safriland Batwing
    "A shot never fired is always a miss"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I carried a S&W M65-3, 3" for a summer.

Never felt under gunned really, they are heavy (I believe the Ruger is a little larger than the S&W) but with the 3" barrel you realyy start reaping the benefits of a 357 magnum round over a 38SPL +P (not saying you don't get more less than 3", I just think at 3" the muzzle blast is more manageable and worth the added velocity, below that you're still getting more velocity but much more blast).

In the end I enjoyed my fling with revolvers (and still have a couple of J-frames), but they are heavy and compared to modern semi autos, slower for the average to above average shooter, especially with reloads.

Ruger makes a quality revolver, so if you want to carry one, a solid belt and holster will make or break it for you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I carried a 3 inch GP100 as a duty gun (Admin Position) for a couple of months. It was very heavy and I couldn't match my range scores with my Semi-Auto so I quit carrying it.

Size wise you could conceal it but it would be very heavy.

Feedback Score
    The 3" GP was my duty gun in the 90s in my current agency. Heavy and overbuilt, the trigger on mine sucked. Carried it for about a year before I replaced it with a 4" S&W M28.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for all the help men. Dom

Feedback Score
    I carry the Ruger LCR in .357, but keep it loaded w/+P's. it is too much to handle w/magnums, albeit, quite accurate w/them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    I carry the Ruger LCR in .357, but keep it loaded w/+P's. it is too much to handle w/magnums, albeit, quite accurate w/them.
    Thank you sir.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast