Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY ultra portable/cheap steel target stand

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

DIY ultra portable/cheap steel target stand

Hey guys, another installment of my DIY themed threads, this time around it's making an ultra portable/cheap steel target stand on the super cheap.

Goal:

Create a longer term steel target stand solution focusing heavily on three aspects.

A. It must be incredibly portable, in order to be humped into LR shooting locales vs. drive up shooting ranges.

B. Must be able to be constructed very easily, or with very minimal effort, tools, and time invested in the DIY process.

C. The overall cost of the finish product must be on the super cheap....for me the definition of super cheap is around $20 or less.

I'll be overall brief here, since the video hopefully will portray the general idea better than I can by typing it.

DIY: Ultra portable/cheap steel target stand

I'll be happy to elaborate on anything, or answer any particular questions for those interested.

Last edited by ALCOAR; 03-25-13 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    I made a fold out frame out of 2x4's.

My main reason is that the ground is pretty frozen at times recently and realy dry come summer. Neither of which like posts.

That and the wood soaks up the shrapnel and fragments pretty well.

Last edited by RMiller; 03-25-13 at 21:21.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Looks absolutely excellent.
    Two things, first, where did you get the target, and what is your opinion of it?

And second, if you apply the torch to a piece of tubing the size of the hole needed in the nylon strap, and press said hot piece of tubing through the nylon, the hole will not fray and hold it's shape better.

Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Valid point in regards to frozen ground....just another reason why it's great to be a confederate in the deep south

kdcgrohl....

Good suggestion on the different method to obtain a better hole in the tow strap.

RE: Target info.....I bought that particular target several years ago from Custom Metal Products (CMP).

My actual target can be found here specifically....IDPA 2/3 Size Torso

It's 12" x 20"...and weighs 22lbs. AR500 / 3/8"

I've had a few others take my recommendation on the above steel target, and all have been totally satisfied like myself with it. This particular product/company is worthy of my highest recommendation for several reasons as listed below...

1. First and foremost, the product itself is stellar.....super clean edges/cuts which matters greatly in a steel target. The durability of their steel continues to amaze me as well, as I've been hammering this particular target heavily with 5.56/7.62 now for a few years, and it doesn't even have real poke marks yet on it. It will no doubt out live me several times over.

2. When first getting it, I did quite a bit of homework....nobody could match the quality (2/3rd ar500 3/8") for the price ($90) that I could find.

3. Shipping...believe it or not, this aspect when steel shopping matters more than one might think. CMP nails this aspect, they charge you the actual cost of shipping, not some inflated rate....and they ship that day, or the next. $15 to ship a 22lb steel plate to me in less than 3 days IIrc.

4. Lastly, I got to know the president of CMP, HR Eddens after reaching out to him informing him on how satisfied I was with his product. He's a real gentlemen, and treats me like I bought 100 targets from him. Super receptive to feedback, and has offered to do one off stuff for me whenever.

Between the steel product, and Mr. Eddens awesome CS....CMP no doubt has my steel business for life.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 03-26-13 at 21:33.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

For those that might find interest...

Hanging steel is an art form, and science imho......and one can really tweak their setup in order to refine it to their particular needs.

Previous DIY stands of mine...

Shepard's hook.....terrible solution

Wood stand....half ass solution / it broke before seeing 500rds or so

Longer term wood stand/saw horse....too damn heavy

Folding steel saw horse....proper solution / still run 2 of these at my LR locales. Really a prefect solution minus the weight.

XM856 on it...

Last edited by ALCOAR; 03-26-13 at 21:45.

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I like the saw horse design. I got a box of target steel in from Wideners today. I planned to weld frames from some used T posts I have.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    When shooting steel, What do you consider the minimum safe distance for 9 mm pistol 124 FMJ and also 5.56 FMJ in 55g?

Thanks
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    As a general guideline....100yds and out for 5.56 FMJ type stuff, however I'm not sure on 9mm stuff.

It's really all about how you hang it as well....If you mount it on a static stand with no deflection slope to it, better back way, way off.

However if you mount it like I have it where it can generate almost total "free movement", one can come in much closer than a 100yds in my experience. Big reason why I don't like static stands...that, and the fact they kill the beautiful natural resonance in a steel plate that makes them ring so sweetly.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready.Fire.Aim View Post
    When shooting steel, What do you consider the minimum safe distance for 9 mm pistol 124 FMJ and also 5.56 FMJ in 55g?

Thanks
    I follow action targets safety recommendations when shooting at the targets I bought from them and when shooting rifle at the targets I bought from wideners and made frames for myself.

Copied from their website
    http://www.actiontarget.com/wp-conte...urce_Guide.pdf

STEEL TARGET SAFETY RULES
    1. Always obey the Firearms Safety Rules listed above.
    2. Always wear hearing protection and wrap-around shatter resistant eye protection
    3. Always stand at least 10 yards from
    the target when using handgun calibers.
    4. Always stand at least 100 yards from
    the target when using shotgun slugs.
    5. Always stand at least 100 yards from the target when using rifle calibers like .223 and .308.

6. Never use rifle calibers on handgun rated targets.
    7. Never use ammunition that exceeds 3,000 feet per second at the muzzle.
    8. Never use ammunition that travels below 750 feet per second.
    9. Never shoot BB’s, steel shot, or
    air gun pellets at steel targets.
    10. Never use more powerful ammunition than the target
    is rated for. (Green tip, armor piercing, etc.)
    11. Never shoot on steel that is cratered, pitted, or damaged in any way.
    12. Hard ground surfaces under the target should be covered with plywood or boxed pea gravel.
    13. Targets should be placed with a 3 foot lateral and deep offset from
    the adjacent target.
    14. If shooting multiple targets, angle of
    engagement should not exceed 20 degrees.
    15. Use only non-toxic paint on steel targets.
    16. Inspect all targets before using for damage, functionality, etc.
    17. Shooters and observers must wear long pants (no shorts),
    long sleeve shirts, a cap or
    hat with a brim, and closed
    toed shoes.
    18. Instructors and observers should stand behind the shooter and observe all safety rules.
    19. If using frangible ammunition, it is the responsibility of the Rangemaster to test fire all frangible rounds to
    determine the following:
    (1) that the projectile pulverizes completely on contact
    (2) that the projectile does not damage the steel target at the distances you intend to shoot from

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Trident I really like your rebar stands. When the ones I made from treated 2x4's wear out I'm going to make some like yours.

Much lighter and simpler than what I did.

[IMG][/IMG]

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast