Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: DIY ultra portable/cheap steel target stand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vinconco View Post
    I think this design accomplishes all of the goals set forth in the beginning of the thread..... except it cost 45. instead of 20.

EXTREMELY portable as the video shows
    EXTREMELY reliable.... no shoot downs because all the hangers and supports are protected by the steel plate
    NO WELDS
    LIGHT WEIGHT
    DURABLE

If you need a target to place in a remote area that needs to be packed into this is the system

it's not a bad system, but dude, while t-post pounders may technically be portable, they're not the kind of things i want to backpack in and out of a remote area. t-posts themselves are not fantastic for that either as they always get shot, and when they do, they get really jagged sharp edges. and on your next trip, they'll be rusty, jagged, sharp edges.

watching that video, i could hear Tom Servo saying, "no one will be admitted during the breathtaking backpack removal scene!" heh

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    it's not a bad system, but dude, while t-post pounders may technically be portable, they're not the kind of things i want to backpack in and out of a remote area. t-posts themselves are not fantastic for that either as they always get shot, and when they do, they get really jagged sharp edges. and on your next trip, they'll be rusty, jagged, sharp edges.

watching that video, i could hear Tom Servo saying, "no one will be admitted during the breathtaking backpack removal scene!" heh

I made the T post driver, lighter ones are available commercially.

Everything, including wood that gets hit with bullets leaves jagged edges. Jacket fragments in wood, plastic or rubber will lay your hand open so if you're smart you wear gloves when handling sharp objects.

Your snark about the backpack removal indicates you probably have never "remotely" packed anything other than a lunch.

Please post your better idea, I'll be waiting.

Feedback Score
    relax, francis. i just thought it was funny.

i won't keep you in suspense for my better idea though. it was posted a year and a half ago on page one of this thread.

compared to using t-posts, rebar frames you see in not just mine but many other posts in the first few pages are less likely to get hit because they are farther away from the target. i mean, i can be an inch high or low of the target and hit the tpost, but i have to be off quite a bit to hit the rebar in any of those designs, thus after many years of use my rebar has few if any jagged edges and can be handled w/o gloves, but my t-posts are all shot up. I do use t-posts in flat areas with high grass though, for the height advantage, but i wouldn't pack them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    relax, francis. i just thought it was funny.

i won't keep you in suspense for my better idea though. it was posted a year and a half ago on page one of this thread.

compared to using t-posts, rebar frames you see in not just mine but many other posts in the first few pages are less likely to get hit because they are farther away from the target. i mean, i can be an inch high or low of the target and hit the tpost, but i have to be off quite a bit to hit the rebar in any of those designs, thus after many years of use my rebar has few if any jagged edges and can be handled w/o gloves, but my t-posts are all shot up. I do use t-posts in flat areas with high grass though, for the height advantage, but i wouldn't pack them.
    I knew I should have let my 30 year old son do that video.....but even at 65 years old I can still handle it.....just not gracefully enough to avert the hecklers.

I have shot the piss out of these t posts..... busted them up real good and the down side is..... nothing really. Wear gloves when you handle them or just leave them in place if possible. I've had posts in the same spot for 10 years and yes, they take hits but so what? It doesn't affect the target hanger system and at 5 bucks each it's a non issue. I've never shot one in half yet but if I do it will just be a shorter target hanger.

But if damage to the post is worrisome then do this... overlap the plates a little and the t post is protected along with the entire hanging system, bolts, chain....everything. Can't do this with a bunch of rebar can ya?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910