Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: DIY ultra portable/cheap steel target stand

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I would stay with the 3/8 or 1/2 if possible.

It can also make a difference with how free the steel is to move when hit as to how well it handles different rounds.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    This has been the best solution I have found for steel target stands. I bought them from JC targets. They were about $20 with the belt and hardware and use 1/2" re-bar. I think $17 without the belt and hardware.

I have not hung my full size IPSC from one yet as it sits on a T-post hanger but it'll handle my 12 inch gong fine.

I've tried everything from wood to custom steel stands etc. and these are the easiest to use and very robust. They definitely are the best option I have found for cost vs. utility.

The best thing is these are made by at-risk youth and profits benefit the ranch they live at.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShootinRN View Post
    This has been the best solution I have found for steel target stands. I bought them from JC targets. They were about $20 with the belt and hardware and use 1/2" re-bar. I think $17 without the belt and hardware.

I have not hung my full size IPSC from one yet as it sits on a T-post hanger but it'll handle my 12 inch gong fine.

I've tried everything from wood to custom steel stands etc. and these are the easiest to use and very robust. They definitely are the best option I have found for cost vs. utility.

The best thing is these are made by at-risk youth and profits benefit the ranch they live at.

I really like that but I can't find it listed on their website, only a picture of it. I guess to buy it I have to email them for info.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Yeah, Just email him them, they were very responsive and easy to deal with.

Feedback Score
    Cheap quality AR500 steel targets.

Have him ship flat rate USPS.

https://www.facebook.com/TUFFTargets?ref=ts&fref=ts
    USMC, 21 years and 21 days. But who was counting?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    After several outings in different locales, with different soil hardness, I think I'm a rebar man from here on out.

The latest outing with it survived two tannerite explosions

Banging tannerite laced AR500 @ 742yds....with hand-loaded 80gr. SMKs

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I built this stand out of items I had left over from a house remodel. The legs are hinged and the top bolts holding the chain slide out for transportation. I put an eyelet on one front and one rear leg to use spikes as anchors to keep the stand from flipping over when I shoot the steel with a high power rife.

Update: I fired 5 rounds of Mosin Nagant ammunition at the steel plate at 100 yards. Round # 3 hit the bottom of the plate, it swung violently and the chain wrapped around the cross piece on the saw horse. The plate was still facing me squarely and I was able to fire more shots. The spikes held the sawhorse firmly to the ground; the saw horse did not budge.
    Last edited by T2C; 03-12-14 at 00:04.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Based off the reviews and ideas in this informative thread, I bought this target and you can see my diy set up. I used bailing wire as it has give but is strong enough to hold the steel target. And can be replaced easily and cheaply. The frame was easy to make and I also use it for my CSAT paper targets as well.

The target is from Custom Metal Products.

custom metal products.jpg
    Last edited by Liberty06; 11-17-13 at 16:37. Reason: figuring out picture posting

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You may want to replace the bailing wire with chain. I tried the same thing and found the shrapnel from the bullet jacket and lead splatter totally shreds the sawhorse legs and frequently severs the bailing wire.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    You may want to replace the bailing wire with chain. I tried the same thing and found the shrapnel from the bullet jacket and lead splatter totally shreds the sawhorse legs and frequently severs the bailing wire.
    Good point that I didn't think about. Thanks.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast