Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SCAR 17s vs. SIG 716 & 516

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

SCAR 17s vs. SIG 716 & 516

so I'm kinda new to rifles, I bought a Colt 6920 & AMD-65. Bought the Colt before the election, bought the AK before Sandy Hook. Got em both because I saw what was coming. Just started making money in July when I started residency (I'm a physician), albeit not making the "big bucks", but I budget well.

My eye has always been on a nice .308 but as we know they're expensive. So, by the time prices come back pre-panic levels in 6 months to a year I'd like to pick a .308 up. I love the feel of the SCAR, however I've invested heavily in Pmags (around 80 of the 20LR) so if I buy a SCAR I'd have to get one of the aftermarket lowers (Handl, Stryker or Cavalry assuming the latter 2 are available).

Anyway, looking at price, a SCAR 17s would be approximately the same price as a SIG 716 & 516. This is why I posed the question this way. I've held both, I like both, only thing I dislike about the sig is it is significantly heavier than the scar. Reading reviews, seems recoil is better with the scars as well and the scar reputation from testing with barrels rated to 30k rounds is something to consider. So my question is, what would you rather have (SCAR 17s with lower that fits pmags vs. SIG 716 & 516) and why?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SCAR over the Sig. Congrats on the 6920.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    SCAR. hands down.

Is the piston a must ? For suppressor use ?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    You can also dremel down the Pmags a little bit to get them to feed properly in the SCAR.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    SCAR. hands down.

Is the piston a must ? For suppressor use ?
    Piston is not a must, but suppressor is a possibility. Down the road, unless we lose rights I'd love to get a Noveske SBR .300 blk with a supressor to go with it, but I haven't went through any of the steps to set up a trust for the NFA items, so it would be down the road.

Feedback Score
    The SCAR and the Sig may be similarily price at the moment, but that will change. I wanted a 308 semi last year and picked up a Sig 716 right before Sandy Hook. The Sig was almost a grand less than Scar 17. The SCARs I saw were priced around $2600 to $2700 and the Sig I got I paid $1699 before tax. I really like my Sig 716, but there are a lot of detractors here of the Sig piston platform, mainly because of the rail on it. The prices will come down on both of them shortly, more so for the Sig but I think magazines availability will still be an issue with SCAR. If you go the SCAR route I think you will have zero problems selling your PMAG stash off, especially now.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Sig 516 is not .308.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Of those, I'd get the SCAR H. I bought one right when they first were available and it was a hell of a rifle. I still prefer the KAC by a small margin, but the SCAR does everything I need for less.

Currently, I'm thinking aout a LaRue PredatOBR, but that's not till next year if I do.

Having said that, SCAR mags were available at a reasonable price before the recent events. I don't know about anyone else, but I look at 308's a bit different and don't need as many mags as I do for 5.56 rifle's. A dozen SCAR H mags and I'm more than good to go for my style of shooting semi auto 308's. I typically use them in more of a hunting or semi precision role and my rate of fire is a bit lower.

When I say hunting, I'm talking about hogs or coyote. On hogs, we usually get RIS up on them and shoot as many as possible, so it's not like I use it like a bolt gun, just to be clear.

My point is that while the mags may be a bit more expensive than 308 PMAGs, I tend not to buy as many as I would 5.56 and once I get over the initial purchase, I've never needed to replace them due to wear like 5.56 mags. While I'd still pick one up here and there, I never felt the need for more. Had I used it for carbine courses, that may have been different, but I didn't.

Just thought I'd throw that out there....

I'll add that I was surprised by the accuracy of the SCAR H. It was far more accurate than I expected. I don't know exactly why, and it was likely me getting used to the rifle, but my after a couple hundred rounds, I found I was far more capable with the rifle than when it was new. When I bought it, I had about 400 to 500 rounds through a friends H in about a two month period or so and had a high round count on my SCAR 16. So, it wasn't like I was completely new to the gun.

Enjoy whatever you get buddy. 7.62 semi autos can really be an enjoyable rifle to own.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    You can also dremel down the Pmags a little bit to get them to feed properly in the SCAR.
    You need to do some heavy sanding, not just dremeling. It can work, but its not recommended due to how thin it makes the mag walls. They bulge quite a bit.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

SCAR 17s vs. SIG 716 & 516

SCAR 17 hands down. The magazines are getting much easier to find. Lots of polymer ones becoming available too.

The handl receiver has had major hiccups and has left a lot of folks unhappy. There is someone else in the process of making a much better one. FNH has a forum that has major info on the 17 and 16 respectively. I frequent the site often as I have them both.

The SCAR platform .308 is IMHO the end all battle rifle. Lightweight, powerful, ergonomic, easy to clean, simple, modular, reliable, and accurate as hell. Over 5,000 rounds in mine without issue. Absolutely love it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast