Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SCAR 17s vs. SIG 716 & 516

Feedback Score

Re: SCAR 17s vs. SIG 716 & 516

Quote Originally Posted by ryr8828 View Post
    Sig 516 is not .308.
    I think he knows that. Seems pretty thorough.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedcomrade View Post
    I really like my Sig 716, but there are a lot of detractors here of the Sig piston platform, mainly because of the rail on it.
    What is the issue with the piston/rail? I kinda like the quad rail on it, I know a lot don't, I've held it, perhaps they could have shaved some weight off, but it is what it is I know it's heavy vs. the SCAR no illusions over that, the SCAR 17 felt very light in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by ryr8828 View Post
    Sig 516 is not .308.
    Yes sir, I'm well aware. I posed the question in this format because pre-panic prices (and presumably prices 6-12 months from now) will basically be a Sig 716 + 516 = 1 SCAR 17 in price approximately... So the question is one of, which is the better value?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubber3 View Post
    The handl receiver has had major hiccups and has left a lot of folks unhappy. There is someone else in the process of making a much better one.
    Thanks for the heads up with Handl. I actually see that there have been some comlaints with scratches to pmags and bolt holding open with 1 round left in the mag and mag catching it prematurely now that I've researched it. Seems that lower requires a special made magazine catch, but the company has decided that not only will they not make a mag catch to go with the lower, they jacked the price up from $300 to $400... Not sure how that works, but hey it's their product and their rep.

Regarding the better lower, I assume you're referring to the SEAL by Stryker Enterprises (Sgt. Stryker). The problem with that lower is, it does not exist and from the last time I've checked that Forum, I believe Stryker stated it was a long ways out still with a long wait list already, but without a doubt it will be a quality prodcut if it's anything like the EACH, which the SCAR owners who have one love. I think MAC did a youtube review on it and liked it a lot.

If I remember correctly I think I read something on there were Stryker was selling OEM lowers that were modified to fit stock PMAGs and/or offering to modify your existing lower to fit PMAGs, do you know if this is correct and if this is still the case? If not, I think I'd problably have to purchase OEM mags, something I was trying to avoid, I like the idea of having 1 universal mag per rifle caliber, something about that gives me a warm and fuzzy and a negative I'll have to consider that will add to an already expensive rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    You need to do some heavy sanding, not just dremeling. It can work, but its not recommended due to how thin it makes the mag walls. They bulge quite a bit.
    I saw a long youtube video on that after reading about this on here, good on the guys doing that, I guess it is a solution for some, but a dealbreaker for me. I don't want to weaken my mags and either limit those mags to just the SCAR or have them wobbly as hell in other potential (AR-10 pattern) rifles I might buy in the future and possibly cause a hiccup in those rifles.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=PatrioticDisorder;1593891]What is the issue with the piston/rail? I kinda like the quad rail on it, I know a lot don't, I've held it, perhaps they could have shaved some weight off, but it is what it is I know it's heavy vs. the SCAR no illusions over that, the SCAR 17 felt very light in my hands.

Most who don't like it say it is to short. I would agree that a longer rail or a longer handguard would have been better, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

SCAR 17s vs. SIG 716 & 516

PD, I'm not sure on the modification of the 17's factory lower. I've just left mine be and have acquired several factory mags. This is the only .308 I have, so I've no need to look elsewhere.

I'll probably get a bolt action .308 for my next rifle purchase. A Rem Tac 700 or something of the sort. If the ballista becomes what it is supposed to, I may go that route and have the .338 lapua and .308 conversion.

Back on track, once you get a SCAR 17, you'll find the others wanting.....

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Back on track, once you get a SCAR 17, you'll find the others wanting.....
    Very true. It is my favorite rifle, hands down.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    PD, I'm not sure on the modification of the 17's factory lower. I've just left mine be and have acquired several factory mags. This is the only .308 I have, so I've no need to look elsewhere.
    I E-mailed Stryker about it, I know he's swamped, we'll see what the response is. If he's still making the lowers, I'll be purchasing one.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    I E-mailed Stryker about it, I know he's swamped, we'll see what the response is. If he's still making the lowers, I'll be purchasing one.
    It's still in development and he won't give an ETA since it depends on so many factors. I'm on the list for one and depending on the magazine situation might switch over with 20/25rd PMAG LRs, but I have 20 FN OEM mags and 3 Thermolds (gonna mod them for hunting ammunition limits).

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    It's still in development and he won't give an ETA since it depends on so many factors. I'm on the list for one and depending on the magazine situation might switch over with 20/25rd PMAG LRs, but I have 20 FN OEM mags and 3 Thermolds (gonna mod them for hunting ammunition limits).
    Not the SEAL, the OEM modified lowers that accept pmags.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Recommend the SCAR on this one...yeah, I have one. Helluva rifle.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    Not the SEAL, the OEM modified lowers that accept pmags.
    I know he offered them awhile back, but don't know if he's doing that anymore.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast