Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holsters for detectives

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Holsters for detectives

We are in the process of transitioning our detectives from the issue Sig P226R DAK to the P239 DAK.

Of course, holsters are needed.

I am looking for any suggestions for a concealment holster with some retention.

Mostly, the detectives have been carrying in pancake holsters with a conventional thumb strap.

Anyone know of a (relatively) concealable holster for the P239?

Thanks, in advance.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you want some better retention, take a look at the Safariland 0701:

If this is the model I have for my 239, it requires breaking the trigger guard snap plus pulling the butt of the weapon backwards before it will release from the holster. It's not the most concealable holster in the world, but under a jacket it shouldn't be too noticeable.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I will look into that one.

I initially wanted the ALS without the hood. But it is not made for a P239, and a call to Safariland shows that there are no plans to make that holster/gun combo.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by unclestevie45 View Post
    We are in the process of transitioning our detectives from the issue Sig P226R DAK to the P239 DAK. Of course, holsters are needed. I am looking for any suggestions for a concealment holster with some retention. Mostly, the detectives have been carrying in pancake holsters with a conventional thumb strap. Anyone know of a (relatively) concealable holster for the P239? Thanks, in advance.
    Lots of good options out there.

What level of retention will be preferred? Required? Why?

Are you constructing a list of approved options, a mass-transition to like platform, or criteria for individual choice?

Will the detectives do uniform shifts from time to time? You'll want to consider how the plain-clothes choice will be like or different from operation of the duty holster.

I'm not a fan of retention devices on concealment gear, but some find them useful.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Look around on the Galco site. They make alot of various types that are for plain clothes.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Skintop911 asks
    "What level of retention will be preferred? Required? Why?"

I would like to see them with something similar to the ALS from Safariland, some sort of retention other than a thumbsnap.

"Are you constructing a list of approved options, a mass-transition to like platform, or criteria for individual choice?"

Not looking for an approved list. I was asked for my opinion, with the stipulation that they wanted more retention. One of the reasons is about 3 years ago, a Providence Det. Sgt. lost his gun to a monster during an interview, and he was murdered by that monster with that gun. Providence is just down the road, and many of our detectives knew that Sgt.

"Will the detectives do uniform shifts from time to time? You'll want to consider how the plain-clothes choice will be like or different from operation of the duty holster."

The only time they put on the uniform is overtime for the LT and the Sgt, and when that happens they are acting as the shift CO and rarely leave the station. If they are working a detail (and I can't remember the last time I saw a detective working a road job) they would just use the P239 on a garrison belt.

And I agree about retention on a concealment holster. That's why I have become a fan of the ALS. It is simple and natural to use. Plus, like you point out, it is similar to my duty holster.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    What duty rig do you have? If it's the SSIII, the one JW777 posted makes perfect sense.

We are in the process of going to the BHI Serpa, the Det's will have the concealed version, commonality.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    We are in the process of going to the BHI Serpa, the Det's will have the concealed version, commonality.
    Ugh... The BHI Serpa would be the last holster that I would want for duty or plainclothes work. I wouldn't use anything other than a Safariland for a duty holster. I've been using the ALS for a while now and I like it a lot. Safariland also makes a plainclothes version with the ALS retention system.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by S-1 View Post
    Ugh... The BHI Serpa would be the last holster that I would want for duty or plainclothes work. I wouldn't use anything other than a Safariland for a duty holster. I've been using the ALS for a while now and I like it a lot. Safariland also makes a plainclothes version with the ALS retention system.
    We don't have a choice in the matter anymore, used to.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Mark we issue the Safariland Raptor Level II, and new holsters have been the ALS.

We have some leeway in what is used as the order states at least a level 2 for retention, for patrol. There is one Serpa and one Bianchi floating around, and about 1/4 of the guys are running TLR-1's on the duty gun in an ALS.

I have no experiance with the Serpa, though I have not heard many good things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast