Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P 9c

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)

S&W M&P 9c

Howdy all,

I was wondering what the general consensus of this pistol was?

How does it handle recoil and muzzle flip wise?

I'm stuck between it and a Glock 26.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    I've shot thousands of rounds through both the M&P9c and G26.
    Both are excellent pistols. IMO, the M&P handles better because of better ergonomics.
    Handle and shoot them both if you can. Buy the one that fits you the best.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The M&P 9c shoots well and handles recoil very well, in my opinion. It's my favorite sub-compact 9mm handgun. It is LIGHT YEARS better than the G26, in my opinion, when it comes to shooting and managing recoil.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    The M&P 9c shoots well and handles recoil very well, in my opinion. It's my favorite sub-compact 9mm handgun. It is LIGHT YEARS better than the G26, in my opinion, when it comes to shooting and managing recoil.
    I think technically the M&P 9C is a compact, not a subcompact. It's about the same size as the G19, not the G26 -- so that would be a more accurate comparison.

That said, I find it very easy to shoot and very easy to carry/conceal. I'm definitely very happy with it.

Jim
    Stag AR-15 2T, Saiga 7.62x39 AK, Saiga S12 Tactical Shotgun
    Beretta 92G Vertec - M9 - PX4 Storm - 92 Billennium - CX4 Storm 9mm
    CZ SP-01 Tactical - M&P 9 - M&P 9C - Ruger KP93 Colt M1911 - RIA 5" 1911- Kel Tec P-32
    http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/index.html

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The 9C falls right in the middle of physical dimension between a G19 and G26. But for simplicity, it's in the same category as the G26. Call it what you want, compact or subcompact. It hold 12 rounds instead of 10 as the G26. I had a 9C that was reliable, accurate and easy to carry. A little easier to carry than my G19, but not as user friendly as the G19. The recoil is very light, I think because the grip with the interchangeable backstraps allow better hand fit, i.e. mo betta ergonomics I think the recoil and muzzle flip felt less than my G19.

It was my summer carry gun, the reason I sold it to a good friend is I'm preparing my funds to get a 45Compact when it comes out sometimes later this year.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I bought a 9c (thanks Grant!) to go with my 40c that replaced my G27.

I chose to move to the M&P line due to better ergonomics & better recoil management. I shot the G27 (which I had carried for a couple of years) and the 40c side by side and decided that the M&P was better for me.

I bought the 9c for my son and wife to shoot and for me to have a cheaper practice round.

Buckaroo

ToddG Guest
    There is no formal definition of "full size" or "compact" or "sub-compact" ... gun companies are free to call their pistols whatever they want.

The standard ("full size") M&P is between a G17 and G19 size. The compact M&P is between a G19 and G26 size.

The G26 is smaller and is going to be easier to conceal as a pocket or ankle gun.

In my opinion, the M&Pc is easier to shoot fast & accurately and has better ergonomics.

Shoot both and be sure to compare apples to apples. A G26 with a small floorplate is maximum concealability but won't allow a full-fingered grip for most people, while a M&Pc with the extended floorplate is substantially bigger and gives a much more comfortable, traditional grip.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I must be in the minority. I prefer the Glock over the M&P. I've owned the fullsize 9mm, compact 9mm and a 45. I've sold them all, no better than my Glocks IMO. I prefer the Glock trigger and Glock ergonomics. The Smith is a good gun but no better than the Glock. If I were just starting out, I may give the M&P more consideration. I already all the holsters, mags and parts I need for the Glocks and can't see selling everything just to try a different platform.
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The standard ("full size") M&P is between a G17 and G19 size. The compact M&P is between a G19 and G26 size.
    See, that can't possibly be true because I've heard "experts" on other boards who insist that an M&P 9mm is the same size as a G21!!! The "manufacturer's specs!" say so.....

The G26 is smaller and is going to be easier to conceal as a pocket or ankle gun.

In my opinion, the M&Pc is easier to shoot fast & accurately and has better ergonomics.

Shoot both and be sure to compare apples to apples. A G26 with a small floorplate is maximum concealability but won't allow a full-fingered grip for most people, while a M&Pc with the extended floorplate is substantially bigger and gives a much more comfortable, traditional grip.
    Indeed.

I'll try to get some comparison pics of my M&P and my G26 up tonight. Hopefully that will help Aud_VDW see what you are talking about.

The G26 is a "bit" smaller than the M&P 9c...but that "bit" does make what I believe to be a fairly significant difference in concealment if you are talking about pocket carry. Neither weapon is particularly good as a pocket gun for most folks, but I do carry them that way much of the time.

Even though the M&P 9c is a little bit more difficult to conceal, I still end up packing it 90% of the time these days because the little bastard is a death ray. At my last range session I was outshooting my big M&P guns with it for some reason. I'll trade a little extra concealment ability for a LOT better shooting performance any day.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    See, that can't possibly be true because I've heard "experts" on other boards who insist that an M&P 9mm is the same size as a G21!!!
    One of Smith's issues is that they have to count the "beavertail" in the OAL of the pistol, which adds about a quarter of an inch. When I saw the very first prototype years ago I laughed myself out loud over that. I was working for SIG at the time and knew that little nub of plastic was going to play hell with meeting paper specs.

I'll trade a little extra concealment ability for a LOT better shooting performance any day.
    +1 ... My normal dress code lets me carry a full size M&P (or, in the past, full-size Beretta and SIG) and the benefits of the bigger guns always made it worth the compromises to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast