Page 2 of 188 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Pipeline is opening up

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    Can't you order directly from DD's site for the listed price (assuming it's less the LGS has them). I saw reports on here of 2-3week turn around as well
    DD has briefly listed a few available builds and sold them back into "call for availability" status. You can use the Build Your Own feature (which is still minus a lot of standard options), but you still can't buy without an order code.

Some report success calling DD and ordering directly, though DD will only take orders on something they can build inside of 60 days, which is only a few of their models.
    Last edited by Hapworth; 03-30-13 at 08:12.

Feedback Score
    Finding a few ARs here and there only means that folks are running out of money not that the pipe line is opening up. When Wal-Mart has basic shit on the shelf it will be an indicator. And for the record I don't care much for Wal-Mart either but I think I'm right on this one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    Finding a few ARs here and there only means that folks are running out of money not that the pipe line is opening up. When Wal-Mart has basic shit on the shelf it will be an indicator. And for the record I don't care much for Wal-Mart either but I think I'm right on this one.
    This isn't actually right from an economic standpoint. Resources move towards capital, and there is still plenty of money out there. If retailers can get things on their shelf at "normal" prices, then they expect to be able to sell them at normal prices. People aren't willing to pay $2200 for a Bushmaster anymore, and so they can finally make more of them than are immediately sold at shelf price. Same goes for ammo ($20 boxes of 5.56 aren't moving) and parts ($150 CTR stocks are going nowhere). WalMart isn't an indicator because WalMart isn't a firearms retailer, but a discount retailer. WalMart will be the last place that "returns to normal" because they pay the lowest possible price. Ammunition manufacturers know that they do not NEED to sell cheap bulk ammo to WalMart to drive profits. They can still sell all they can produce to firearms retailers that pay a premium price (even if that premium is only a dollar a box, it adds up fast) and keep their margins healthy.

There have been more rifles on the wall, and more ammo on the shelf at my local shops. Of course we aren't back to pre-scare availability or pricing, but things are looking up.

Still can't buy much 5.56, .22LR, or 9mm locally, but it can be found. I did replenish all of my .45ACP home defense and target ammo at a reasonable price on the last trip to the range.

Hopefully I can find a local deal on a can or two of 5.56 before summer and the inevitable trips to the range.
    Last edited by _Stormin_; 03-30-13 at 08:32. Reason: Clarity

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    This isn't actually right from an economic standpoint. Resources move towards capital, and there is still plenty of money out there. If retailers can get things on their shelf at "normal" prices, then they expect to be able to sell them at normal prices. People aren't willing to pay $2200 for a Bushmaster anymore, and so they can finally make more of them than are immediately sold at shelf price. Same goes for ammo ($20 boxes of 5.56 aren't moving) and parts ($150 CTR stocks are going nowhere). WalMart isn't an indicator because WalMart isn't a firearms retailer, but a discount retailer. WalMart will be the last place that "returns to normal" because they pay the lowest possible price. Ammunition manufacturers know that they do not NEED to sell cheap bulk ammo to WalMart to drive profits. They can still sell all they can produce to firearms retailers that pay a premium price (even if that premium is only a dollar a box, it adds up fast) and keep their margins healthy.

There have been more rifles on the wall, and more ammo on the shelf at my local shops. Of course we aren't back to pre-scare availability or pricing, but things are looking up.

Still can't buy much 5.56, .22LR, or 9mm locally, but it can be found. I did replenish all of my .45ACP home defense and target ammo at a reasonable price on the last trip to the range.

Hopefully I can find a local deal on a can or two of 5.56 before summer and the inevitable trips to the range.
    I concur, using Walmart as an indicator of market health and availability is incorrect. The true test will always be the higher profitability items and their availability.

As to 5.56 ammo, seeing a big box sporting goods dealer selling the M885 Federal at $219.99 for a 420 round ammo can is like seeing the new leafs budding. It is an indicator of things to come.

Good luck, all.
    Send lawyers, guns and money the $#!+ has hit the fan...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
    Ouch on the Federal M885, that was $219.99 a 420 round ammo can, yesterday at the Bass Pro outside Mobile. If it helps anyone, I will post it if I see it again, but between me and serveral LEO it was gone in less than an hour.

I haven't seen much Gold Dot, but have noticed that Golden Saber and Fed Hydra-Shok has become available again in .45acp.

Good luck to all in finding the ammo that they seek.
    You're still getting fooked on that price for M855; pre-scare 30-35 cents a round was about right; maybe 38 cents a round here and there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    When I can find 9mm at Wal-Mart I'll agree with you but until then I will have to disagree.
    As soon as the SG Managers at Wal Mart stop intercepting the shipment before they are put on the shelves to turning around and putting them on gunbroker for .50 cents a round you'll start seeing more on the shelves there. This is more prevelent than you think...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartland Hawk View Post
    You're still getting fooked on that price for M855; pre-scare 30-35 cents a round was about right; maybe 38 cents a round here and there.
    Point me to some at those prices and I will buy 5000 rounds today. Yes, true last summer I was paying about .40 a round delivered, but guess what? I've shot up most of that since then and wish to maintain a certain level on hand for practice and plinking.
    But, if you have a source at those prices, please feel free to share, so we all can patronize your source and contribute to their success.
    Send lawyers, guns and money the $#!+ has hit the fan...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Of course the price is still far higher than before. We aren't by any means though the whole ordeal just yet, and the more the news covers "gun control" the more the situation will continue to draw on. Things just happen to be headed in the right direction when it comes to prices and availability. The fact that you COULDN'T EVEN FIND 5.56 and now you can find it regularly at higher prices is a leading indicator that supply is moving back into line with demand. It may take 6 months to see 40¢ a round and we may not see 35¢ a round again. Inflation alone may have brought the materials costs of primers, powder, brass and copper to a point where that's not economical anymore (for the folks that don't want to do the mental math, that would be $7 boxes of 5.56).

Feedback Score
    Things are easing up, were over the hump but nowhere near the bottom (Walmart prices).

Feedback Score
    I hope you fellers are right because I am sick of it being this way.

Page 2 of 188 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast