Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vepr 54R as a DMR starting point

Feedback Score

The Vepr 54R as a DMR starting point

A few months ago while working with Marc Krebs on another project we began discussing AK's in a DMR type roll. We both (and especially Marc) are aware of the many shortcomings inherent in the basic design of the AK that preclude traditional "precision" usage.

I began laying out what I believed to be the optimal jumping off point, and to my surprise, he said "like that one?" pointing to his personal rifle stack? Sure enough he and I had had the same idea for a precision AK. His was in .308, mine in 54R.

I hope to begin testing the concept that an "AK" can be a precision rifle with good ammunition and the right starting platform. The honest goal of the project is a 2moa rifle out to 800m.

I have zero experience with this type of shooting, and not a lot of time to get schooled in the black art and luck of the typical shooter of this type. With that said, I got a sneak peak at the Vepr in it's almost finished form and got to shoot her last week at the Big 3 East event in Daytona Beach FL.

Vepr 54R 20"
    Cut and crowned to 18.25"
    Threaded 5/8-24
    Surefire SOCOM 7.62FH
    Krebs Vepr Rail
    Vltor ModPod
    RS AK-303 lower and AKR upper
    Red Star Arms trigger set at 3#
    Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP MIL/MIL
    Magpul PRS stock

As soon as the build is finished it will be time to finish testing factory loads and start working up any potential hand loads for the Vepr.
    Using standard ball ammo at this time it is grouping around 3moa, from a very green barrel and only having sampled 2 loads: 147gr Wolf ball, 208gr Wolf soft point.

I am sure the platform has a lot more potential in it.
    Last edited by 96 SS; 04-01-13 at 07:20.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Is this something that will be available from Krebs? Or just a one off? Also, would there be anything in 308?

Feedback Score
    That I know of there are no plans for these to be serially produced.

Marc has an almost identical one in .308 that groups 1-1.5" with match ammo.

The KV-13's that he IS building will be very similar and a lot less expensive. It's the "new KTR-03" based on the new Vepr but with his new keymod handguard and a bevy of Krebs custom touches.
    They will also feature hand fitted dust cover mounted sights etc.

All I can say is I want one badly.

Main article with more pics of the 54R and .308 here:
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...g-3-east-2013/

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    I see. They are not using a hinged stock on the 54r are they?

I ordered 2 of the KV 13s myself I can't wait for them. Since you probably can answer this, and I don't want to keep calling and bugging them with questions - will they KV 13s have the ambi safety?

And something I was really wondering about: with that rear sight on the top cover, is it possible to attach one of your side rail mounts with ACOG without an issue?

Sorry if this derails the thread I can start a new one

Feedback Score
    Lets pull that one to another thread - Other Assault Rifles seems like the appropriate place.

More info on the Vepr DMR

Some details here:
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...g-3-east-2013/

More details when I get a better set of images back.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Thanks for the link, and I did start a new thread for the other questions

Feedback Score
    Well it was tried with Saigas, maybe the Veprs will have better initial build quality. I guess with enough $ you can do anything. In pursuit of this my PSL was deregualted to failed hopes and dreams section of the safe.

-Sefus

Feedback Score
    For accurate handloads the 174 gr SMK is well thought of by guys who shoot .303 British which happens to be .311 like the 54r. I've been itching to load up some myself for my PSL.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions YF.

Sefus: My PSL shot MOA on a good day with Hungarian 147gr ammo.
    I hope the VEPR can do the same, or close to it out to 800m.
    Only time will tell. But the original quality of the rifle is much better than that of the PSL. Heavier barrel, heavier receiver, less BCG mass, shorter gas system, and in this case better trigger, better crown, shorter/stiffer barrel.

It was cloverleafing 3 shot groups at 100m with 200gr Wolf softpoints, but would flier the last two into a group about 2moa or so in size.

This was with only about 30 rounds down the pipe.

I hope that the barrel will smooth out a bit and once we dial up a load the rifle likes we can get sub 2 moa @800m (the realistic goal here).
    Last edited by 96 SS; 04-16-13 at 12:32.

Feedback Score
    If you can find the Czech Silvertip from the 62-65 era it is the most consistent factory ammo I ever tested when I was developing a sniper round for the 762x54. even against 7N1.

beyond that the 175gr SMK was OK with Accurate 2495 in the 48gr area and ramshot hunter. good velocities
    Last edited by Jack-O; 04-16-13 at 12:23.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast