Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: newbi question on 870

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That was my thought when I got it. Now I do not want to spend money on a shotgun. I want to get an ar SBR.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd still keep it.... for Historical reinactments and such!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911vm View Post
    That was my thought when I got it. Now I do not want to spend money on a shotgun. I want to get an ar SBR.
    I'm very seriously considering doing this.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Now that's the best reason I've heard yet. LOL just spoke to my friend. He said he can sell it no problem. but I need to see $ first.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by talaananthes View Post
    If you put a 28" barrel on it, it doesn't stop being an SBS and doesn't break any laws.
    If you put an 18 inch barrel or longer on it, it's no longer an SBS and not subject to any NFA restrictions, including such things as taking it out of state or selling it as a Title I firearm. You can switch back and forth between barrel lengths at will.
    Last edited by Hmac; 04-02-13 at 15:28.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    My question to 1911vm is-- Is the gun registered as a short barreled shotgun? GH

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    My question to 1911vm is-- Is the gun registered as a short barreled shotgun? GH
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.p...85&postcount=3

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yes sir it is.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    If you put an 18 inch barrel or longer on it, it's no longer an SBS and not subject to any NFA restrictions, including such things as taking it out of state or selling it as a Title I firearm. You can switch back and forth between barrel lengths at will.
    Hmmmm that's not entirely accurate from my understanding. You don't swap it in and out of being an SBS every time you change the barrel . . . it either is, or it isn't, and that's independent of which barrel it's wearing at the time. Remember that the "firearm" is the receiver, not the barrel. Even if you put a longer barrel on it, it's still legally an SBS for legal purposes, and you still have to report state line crossings and carry your paperwork. If you sell it as a shotgun not a short barreled shotgun, or destroy the paperwork, then the SBS registration becomes invalid and it reverts to being a shotgun . . . and if you put that short barrel back on without applying for a new tax stamp, you're making an illegal SBS even if it was previously registered as one.

As an analogy, you have to register a pistol as a SBR in order to put a stock on it. A friend of mine who lives in a state where concealed carry licenses are only for handguns has a Glock 17 that he's registered as an SBR in order to use it on a carbine conversion kit that attaches a stock to it. Even when it's in physical pistol not carbine configuration, it's still legally considered a rifle (short barreled rifle to be specific) not a pistol so he can't concealed carry it.
    Last edited by talaananthes; 04-02-13 at 20:46.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'd still keep it.... for Historical reinactments and such!
    Historical u said? Well I went and got a Remington model 10 yesterday , now that historical LOL its a takedown pumper, bottom ejection. Very cool. I believe they stopped marking them in 1939.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast