Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Perplexed with 5.45x39 AR

Feedback Score
    Million dollar question: can DI overcome the inconsistencies of Wolf?

Gun show this weekend.....I may try and find a carrier and midlength gas tube (still have the rings I took off when I converted to the Osprey). If it doesn't do any better DI then I'll open up the gas port for the Osprey. I have well over 2K rounds of Wolf, so it's gotta work one way or another!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Million dollar question: can DI overcome the inconsistencies of Wolf?
    OK....... Do you think Wolf won't run in DI or something silly like that? I ran thousands of rounds of Wolf through DI guns both 5.56 and 5.45 with no problems. Folks here have seen me do so in classes. So, get over your Wolf worries and stop dumping money into silly piston setups. Also....why are you NOT running surplus 5.45 ammo? That's the best reason to own a 5.45 AR.

Must. Not. Bang. Head. On. Wall.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    OK....... Do you think Wolf won't run in DI or something silly like that? I ran thousands of rounds of Wolf through DI guns both 5.56 and 5.45 with no problems. Folks here have seen me do so in classes. So, get over your Wolf worries and stop dumping money into silly piston setups. Also....why are you NOT running surplus 5.45 ammo? That's the best reason to own a 5.45 AR.

For starters, I spelled out the differences in two different case lots of Wolf above, albeit with the piston. We'll see if it continues with DI.

Secondly, I've had the Osprey for several years. Never had any major issues until now.....BUT I'm using a midlength nitrided barrel now, so more variables introduced into the equation. And as far as pistons go I've not yet had any issues with my 416 upper on MR556 lower. Of course of those two piston systems that really is comparing fine wine to Mad Dog!

Lastly, I bought the Wolf because it's non-corrosive and at the time I bought it (and the MP15R) it was cheaper than brass-cased 5.56. Yeah, I've read your thread about corrosive myths but hey, it's my $$$ right? Which, since you've shot both, brings me to ask: did you notice a difference between surplus and Wolf as far as function is concerned? i.e. is surplus more ignition-reliable and function-consistent?
    Last edited by ABNAK; 04-06-13 at 06:28.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    No, you spelled out the problems with 2 different cases of Wolf resulting from the piston setup you installed and proceeded to mess around with instead of just running a DI setup. To answer your question, I noticed no difference between corrosive and Wolf but......why run Wolf when corrosive works fine in my factory, not-tinkered-with setup?

You. Are. Overthinking. This.

Honestly, if you're that afraid of corrosive ammo, sell your 5.45 setups. By not running corrosive, you're cheating yourself of the very real and tangible cost savings of owning the 5.45 AR in the first place and by dicking around with the Osprey setup, you've talked yourself into blaming the ammo that runs well for everyone else instead of the silly aftermarket piston.

You could convert back to DI, buy a coupla different weighted buffers for tuning your gun (MUCH easier than dicking around with pistons), stop worrying about eeeevil corrosive ammo and just rinse your damned weapon with water after shooting and stop worrying about silly stuff. If you do so, read my article running a 5.45 DI setup with over 24 thousand rounds of mainly that eeevil corrosive ammo through it. Or don't listen. Anyway, the answers are right here in front of you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Amen.

OP is worried about Wolf feeding right but has no worries about cutting springs or retrofitting a gun designed to have a DI system to something it was never intended to do, ie: be a piston gun

I get the same looks in classes as LL... "You run Wolf? I heard that stuff sucks". Well did u see me have any malfunctions all day? No... Thought so. Wolf is fine, it's that piston set up that is more than likely the problem.

To back to DI, with a standard spring and play with buffer weights.

I have Wolf functioning properly in a 14.5" carbine length BM with H buffer, a Centurion 14.5" LW middy custom build with an H buffer as well. And my PredatAR cycles it without a problem with an H2 buffer.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Amen.

OP is worried about Wolf feeding right but has no worries about cutting springs or retrofitting a gun designed to have a DI system to something it was never intended to do, ie: be a piston gun

I get the same looks in classes as LL... "You run Wolf? I heard that stuff sucks". Well did u see me have any malfunctions all day? No... Thought so. Wolf is fine, it's that piston set up that is more than likely the problem.

To back to DI, with a standard spring and play with buffer weights.

I have Wolf functioning properly in a 14.5" carbine length BM with H buffer, a Centurion 14.5" LW middy custom build with an H buffer as well. And my PredatAR cycles it without a problem with an H2 buffer.

To you and Littlebowski: if you saw it I did mention I'm going hunting for a carrier (tomorrow) and a middy gas tube. I'll give the DI a whirl for sure.

As far as the Osprey goes I already had it, and (obviously) didn't have a carrier or gas tube for DI so went with what was on hand. Also already had the cut-down buffer spring so tried it out too. It was all a learning experience/experiment which, while frustrating, thus far hasn't cost me anything more than the new barrel to convert back to a carbine. Hasn't panned out too well so I'm heading another direction. No biggie.

As far as buffers are concerned, shouldn't a standard weight one do just fine? I'll assume, as with 5.56, that a heavier one would serve to "smooth" things out a bit. However, a standard weight buffer *should* cut it......almost like an FAL opened up all the way serves for extreme conditions (?).

Regarding ignition, I do have the orange-coated S&W hammer spring for hard commie primers and this is obviously an issue aside from piston vs. DI. What % failures do you guys guesstimate you get, both with Wolf and surplus? Surely, after maybe 600rds or so total that hammer spring can't be getting weak (?). Also, most fired on the second chambering even though there was a SOLID hit the first time.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 04-06-13 at 16:25.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The heavy hammer spring has nothing to do with your problems. It's not the problem, the piston is the problem. Go DI, use the heavy hammer spring, stop blaming your piston problems on springs and ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I think it's "C", all of the above.

Bro,
    listen to LL. it's NOT the ammo. The first two paragraphs of your OP accurately describe your problem. Contrary to what some may tell you, "tuning" your gun (to the extent you have) is a great way to make it unreliable. THATS YOUR PROBLEM. period. full stop.

If it helps at all I've run thousands of rounds of wolf, barnaul and surplus 5.45 of varying countries both corrosive and non corrosive thru rifles and had very few malfunctions I could attribute to ammo and NONE in ANY caliber in ANY rifle that would cause me to say "wolf sucks".

as my training instructors would tell me from time to time... "un**** your shit!!"
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Perplexed with 5.45x39 AR

I dont have a AR in 5.45 but I've ran thousands of rounds of Wolf/Tula/Silver Bear/surplus ammo in 9, 45, x39, 5.56 and 5.45 (AK74). In all that I had 2 light primer strikes on 9mm Wolf fmj in my G19. Thats it. Its not the ammo

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cool 5.45x39 problems

The heavy hammer spring has nothing to do with your problems. It's not the problem, the piston is the problem. Go DI, use the heavy hammer spring, stop blaming your piston problems on springs and ammo.
    i have 3 uppers (all d.i.) including the only 11.5" smith ever built
    run like a sewing machine. EVERYTHING Lil l'. has said is the gospel of 5.45. stop trying to reinvent the wheel the reasons u did things do not make sense. why the 5.45 is in use today ????
    CHEAP AMMO. also all kinds run thru mine. spam cans were cheaper only reason i use it wolf is fine also

u.m. wont v.

good luck
    Last edited by jjw; 04-06-13 at 23:58.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast