Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: shooting at Fort Knox?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Interesting question, but you have to understand something of the dynamics involved in how the place works. Although located on a military post, the US Bullion Depository really has nothing whatsoever to do with the Army, and it is entirely secured by Department of Treasury folks (US Mint Police) who are basically fenced off from the rest of the unwashed. So ... not only do they not permit visitors, but we (soldiers) never even saw/got to know any of the guys that worked out there. You can't even get into their parking lot to schmooz -- not that it would do any good.

I will say this: after years of looking at pictures and such, I had it in my head that the facility was off in the middle of a distant field somewhere on the edge of post, with miles of standoff distance from the rest of the world. In reality, it sits right next to the highway, and you can get a very good look at things just driving past the front gate of Knox. Getting inside, though, is another matter entirely, and I don't know anyone who has even come close to getting that invitation.

AC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    Interesting question, but you have to understand something of the dynamics involved in how the place works. Although located on a military post, the US Bullion Depository really has nothing whatsoever to do with the Army, and it is entirely secured by Department of Treasury folks (US Mint Police) who are basically fenced off from the rest of the unwashed. So ... not only do they not permit visitors, but we (soldiers) never even saw/got to know any of the guys that worked out there. You can't even get into their parking lot to schmooz -- not that it would do any good.

I will say this: after years of looking at pictures and such, I had it in my head that the facility was off in the middle of a distant field somewhere on the edge of post, with miles of standoff distance from the rest of the world. In reality, it sits right next to the highway, and you can get a very good look at things just driving past the front gate of Knox. Getting inside, though, is another matter entirely, and I don't know anyone who has even come close to getting that invitation.

AC
    They don't want anyone to know it's empty....
    "Those who do can't explain; those who don't can't understand"...

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Don't know about that, but I was surprised to learn that the Federal Reserve Bank of New York in Manhattan holds considerably more gold than does Fort Knox. Trouble is, a lot of it is held in trust for foreign governments and such, if I understand things correctly.

AC

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Don't know about that, but I was surprised to learn that the Federal Reserve Bank of New York in Manhattan holds considerably more gold than does Fort Knox. Trouble is, a lot of it is held in trust for foreign governments and such, if I understand things correctly.

AC
    Correct, in fact Germany has begun the proccess of repatriating its gold reserves from "our" Federal Reserve and Banque de France.

The Germans Want Their Gold Reserves Back In Germany
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertle...ck-in-germany/

And though they well never admit it publicly, I'm sure it has a little something to do with this . . .

Gold Bars Filled With Tungsten
    http://www.businessinsider.com/tungs...ew-york-2012-9
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

AC

If I recall correctly even only a handful of presidents have been inside the vault, so you get a pass this once. Oddly enought despite it's extreme secrecy and security the last audit (done in the 70's I believe) utilized a few locals from something like 18 to 25 years of age to remove the gold for counting.

Not treasury personnel, not soldiers, not armed guards. Local kids.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    Oddly enought despite it's extreme secrecy and security the last audit (done in the 70's I believe). . .
    Yeap, it was done on 23 September 1974 by Sen. Walter Huddleston of Kentucky, twelve US Congressmen, and about a hundred members of the media.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    All due respect to the fellow killed there mentioned in the thread, a great special on Ft. Knox just started on the History Channel 2. Goes from 8 to 10 and is fascinating.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123