Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf will clog your gas tube with lacquer!

Feedback Score
    Put 60rds of Wolf polymer MC through my Bushmaster the other day. Zero problems or issues. The rifle is the 16" Patrolman's M4 and the target was shot at about 75 paces off the roof of my cruiser. Ammo was more accurate than Federal AE.

The best line I've seen so far is; "If your rifle won't shoot Wolf, put a skirt on it and stand it in the corner".

Flyers were called by me.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My new Sabre short-stroked every 3rd round. This was at about the 50 round count. After I got 150 rounds through it, I fired 15 rounds of Wolf (55gr Military classic) and it only failed to lock the bolt back. After another 100 or so rounds, I am betting it will run like a champ. It is a 20" rifle btw. Never had a casing stick, but I only ran one box through it. I belive if you shoot 1 brass round for every 5-8 Wolf rounds, it keeps the carbon build-up out of the chamber and you should be G2G. Just a thought for those who get sticky chambers from it after a bit of shooting it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I have seen cases welded in the chamber due to that laquer crap from Wolf. I won't let any of our guys shoot it in department rifles anymore. Stay far far away from Wolf ammo.
    Pat
    Were these rifles chambered for 5.56 or .223? I only ask because I have seen 3 rifles fail with Wolf at my local range and all 3 were chambered for .223. The case dimensions of Wolf are similar to 5.56...even though they are labeled as .223.

Feedback Score
    A few days ago I went and shot 30-rounds of brass cased ammo to warm things up. I then shot 30-rounds of Wolf polymer MC........then another 30-rounds of brass cased ammo.

Then rifle never failed. The second round of brass looked just like the first round of brass, no undue dirt or carbon build up.

The old laquer covered ammo may have caused problems, but so far I haven't found a problem with the newer polymer covered ammo.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire View Post
    Were these rifles chambered for 5.56 or .223? I only ask because I have seen 3 rifles fail with Wolf at my local range and all 3 were chambered for .223. The case dimensions of Wolf are similar to 5.56...even though they are labeled as .223.
    The guns were 5.56.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Put 60rds of Wolf polymer MC through my Bushmaster the other day. Zero problems or issues. The rifle is the 16" Patrolman's M4 and the target was shot at about 75 paces off the roof of my cruiser. Ammo was more accurate than Federal AE.

The best line I've seen so far is; "If your rifle won't shoot Wolf, put a skirt on it and stand it in the corner".

Flyers were called by me.

We have an old saying back home (OPTIONS VARY ) I've seen problems with lacquered wolf in ARs. Never shot any in my gun so i cant say one way or the other, But have put many a round down range of wolf polymer through my M4 w/ 0 problems. But no matter how tired I am or late it is first thing when i get back to the house it gets a full mil.inspection style type cleaning. It was beat into me as a young hunter growing up and for twenty years with Fifth Group. That is your key to a dependable weapon . Learned it, loved it, lived it. And still do 56 years later. You take care of your weapon and it will take you home. s/f.
    "you wanna know what i think....it don't really matter what i think. once that first bullet goes past your head, politics and all that shit go right out the window!"SFC Hoot Hooten.

( what are you gonna do )" I'm gonna get better and burn their play house down".
    Bob Lee Swagger

Feedback Score
    I don't shoot Wolf at all for a variety of reasons. I had two extreme failures in both my Colt and my HK with the early stuff, (one requiring a gunsmith to clear), so once I get stung - I stay stung. I also don't judge anyone, but personally, I try very hard not to send my money to Russia - they are not our friends. I do not however buy the hype about the coating - I think it's more what they seal it with and the properties of steel. Try this test: Grab yourself an empty Wolf cartridge, a stopwatch, something to hold it with and a blowtorch. Report back to us how log it takes you to melt off the coating, (look for a little puddle) - hint: you won't find one....

Feedback Score
    I think all the fear of stuck cases has to do with improper cleaning of the chamber. I finally got a stuck case yesterday after shooting over 4K rounds of Wolf of all types in this particular weapon since buying it last Jun. Checking my shooting log, I hadn't clean this weapon in over 2500 rounds, just lubed and shoot. On inspecting the stuck case, it had all kinds of carbon super glued (More like melted) to the case. After cleaning only the chamber, it ran like a champ. FYI, I was curious on how many rounds would it take to get a malfunction on this Colt/Sabre middy. First one in over 4K rounds and 2 cleanings.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hmmmm...I've used the old lacquered and newer polymer coated Wolf for about the last 5 years or so in both my AK's and my Bushmaster and never had any problems. I've even used the Brown Bear and that's lacquer coated too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Put 60rds of Wolf polymer MC through my Bushmaster the other day. Zero problems or issues. [/IMG]
    Now go put 600 rounds through it in a day and tell us how it worked out for you.

Sure it works real well, then again, the additional time I spend cleaning the weapon afterwards make the cost differential disappear in a hurry.

Nice shooting though.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast