Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MD Voluntary Militia

Feedback Score
    I would fear that, with little oversight, some of these potential larger groups could pose as "normal" militias and actually be militant groups/extremists. They could build up large memberships and suddenly go rouge in an organized way... Look at what Chistopher Dorner did.. now tack on an extra 100 or 200 people to that.
    But what then is capital punishment but the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated it may be, can be compared? - Albert Camus

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy View Post
    I would fear that, with little oversight, some of these potential larger groups could pose as "normal" militias and actually be militant groups/extremists. They could build up large memberships and suddenly go rouge in an organized way... Look at what Chistopher Dorner did.. now tack on an extra 100 or 200 people to that.

Anyone anywhere can fly off the handle, so one primary objective would be to watch out for and expel such individuals. Tap into that ever expanding group of concerned, rational gun owners and let them be our strength.

This may not be easy but it is possible. After the first few idiots are booted and shunned then the organization will eventually form a respectable identity. But it will require work and dedication, no doubt about it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

MD Voluntary Militia

The key here is how its implemented and what kind of oversight it has. Reserve officers are volunteers and they haven't gone off the deep end. The military is volunteer force yet they don't seem to be going off the deep end. Each of these orgs stays clear of trouble because of the way they are lead, and controlled. Go willy nilly and allow people to join by merely breathing and you will end up in trouble.

Run it like a police organization and you can make it work. Establish standards that the people have to meet; physical and mental. Weed out those who can't meet those standards. If a state can run a state wide police force not sure why this would be any different.

Not sure why people seem to think that unless its a federally mandated organization it will attract losers and fall into chaos.
    Last edited by TAZ; 04-05-13 at 14:35.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Ya'll don't have a state guard?
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy View Post
    Then you fear we the people because "every man a militiaman" is exactly what the framers had in mind...

We need to come together philosophically, spiritually and then I don't care what you/me/him/her organize into. We are One.
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
    My advice would be to get involved with the local Sheriff's. [snip] Banding together in concert with law enforcement officials who support our cause is a good way to weed out the people who want to advocate illegal/ dangerous activities that benefit no-one in the long run.
    I agree with your approach, and think that it sounds a lot more productive than meeting in the woods with a bunch of guys who couldn't pass military muster, complaining bitterly about the government. I am wary of politics and politicians, but we stand to gain nothing by treating our lawful government as the enemy. Some might have a different threshold, but I just don't think we're there yet. Banding together in support of LE (who have a very real and common/shared adversary as the rest of us) sounds infinitely more productive.

AC

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

I for one am glad to see this sort of thing coming from an elected offical for a change.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Jim's idea is certainly interesting, but how many LEOs in any capacity want to be affiliated with a militia? And what if the the majority of LEOs in one's area aren't interested in standing against the new laws or even support them in the first place?

Too many variables to let law enforcement set the standard for a private movement. Just refer to Icanhithimman's NY trooper thread. Ended up as all of nothing.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    You mean National Guard?

What good is the National Guard if, in a time of crisis, it has been 'federalized' and sent abroad to support combat operations in (say) the Middle-East?

Personally, I'm all in favor of a state-regulated (that's state, not federal government) 'militia'-like organization whose primary mission is to support law enforcement in extreme situations, assisting/conducting SAR, and disaster relief assistance without the looming possibility of being federalized.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    The congressman's is talking about a militia and I am not sure what the goal is. Still waiting for more info, before I decide to put a bulls-eye on my back. I love the idea, MD as many states are two cultures, heavy populated areas majority progressives and rural conservatives. We are bumping heads and maybe it is time to draw the line in the sand.

Don't know very much about the State Guard, the following is cut & pasted from their home page.

What is the Maryland Defense Force (MDDF)?
    About Us

The Maryland Defense Force is a volunteer uniformed state military agency and one of the four components of the Maryland Military Department. Formally established by the Maryland legislature in 1917, the unit's heritage and traditions trace back to the 17th century.

MDDF is one of a number of State Defense Forces authorized by the U.S. Congress under Title 32 and the respective state legislatures.

While specific missions vary from state to state, the Maryland Defense Force has the primary mission of providing competent and supplemental professional, technical, and military support to the Maryland Army National Guard, the Maryland Air National Guard, and the Maryland Emergency Management Agency.

State Defense Forces operate under the command of the Governor, as state Commander-in-Chief, and fall under the operational control of the state Adjutant General. State Defense Forces receive no federal funds and are supported entirely by the state.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast