Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SO... Does the SAFE ACT Nullify the Preban?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

SO... Does the SAFE ACT Nullify the Preban?

Hey guys,

I just wanted to throw this out there. I have been thinking about loopholes lately with the (Not so) SAFE act and having read it I have to say it seems to nullify the legal difference between pre and post ban "assault weapons". How? you ask, it ties them all together as AW guns with more then one feature, but I see nothing in the law that makes a distinction between a pre ban and post ban gun. The only thing it does is ban future sales and define AW's as 1 feature weapons that we need to register by April 15th.

So, because they "got rid of loopholes" with this law, does this mean that all "assault weapons" are now created equal?

Can we modify our existing firearms beyond what was legal before January 14th since anything we register will, according to them, be acceptable?

What are your thoughts? They totally screwed the pooch on this in the language of the law and we may be able to re-attach that bayonet lug and have a super scary Pre-Pre-Ban AR15.
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Safe Act was a recently passed New York piece of legislation that most Constitutional scholars would agree is fundamentally flawed in both its reach and the method in which it was signed into law. Too apply the deficiencies of a piece of state legislation against an expired piece of federal legislation is not tenable. If and when SCOTUS evaluates the Safe Act, which I see the New York Supreme Court upturning before that could ever happen, they will evaluate the process and the reach of the law, and not reinterpret old definition.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    kmrtnsn - he's talking about the NY state AWB that was passed during the '94 Federal AWB (with mostly similar 2-feature test, 10 round magazine limit with grandfathering, etc.) but that, importantly, did NOT have a sunset feature like the Federal ban. It has been in effect continuously, and (like MA and CT) has created a market for pre-9/14/94 receivers.

Mac 5.56 - it's a fair question, for sure. Are those sections of the original NY penal law containing the NY AWB still in effect, or were those sections "written over"/replaced by the text of the not-so-SAFE act? (I can't bring myself to look up and read the text of the statutes - it's just too painful.)

If the prior AWB sections are still there, then those AWB restrictions are still in place, and you can't just take a post-'94 receiver, build a no-ban rifle (or buy a current no-ban rifle) and then register it as an AW - you'd still be constructing / possessing a prohibited AW under NY law.

Maybe someone else who's done the work to read through it will come along and provide assistance....
    Last edited by Hdog83; 04-06-13 at 07:24.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you look at the old and new versions of NY Code 265.00-265.40 you'll see that various sections of the code have been replaced, or re-worded. Essentially, under the NY Code, the old AWB has been retooled, not replaced or rendered invalid.

http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article265.htm
    Last edited by kmrtnsn; 04-06-13 at 08:19.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I called in to the SAFE act information call center and was informed that if you own a Pre-94-Ban rifle, it remains legal but does have to be registered. However, I don't trust that the guy knew what he was talking about. I would not be surprised if someone got arrested trying to register a Pre-Ban with multiple features.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    I called in to the SAFE act information call center and was informed that if you own a Pre-94-Ban rifle, it remains legal but does have to be registered. However, I don't trust that the guy knew what he was talking about. I would not be surprised if someone got arrested trying to register a Pre-Ban with multiple features.
    Well we don't even know what the registration process will look like or include at this point.

Since the law made everything with a single feature an assault weapon, but anything owned before January 14th 2013 Grandfathered in if registered, it seems that unless they put a specific clause defining a difference between post 94 vs. pre 94 multi feature firearms that the law pretty much looks at all of them as the same.
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac5.56 View Post
    Well we don't even know what the registration process will look like or include at this point.

Since the law made everything with a single feature an assault weapon, but anything owned before January 14th 2013 Grandfathered in if registered, it seems that unless they put a specific clause defining a difference between post 94 vs. pre 94 multi feature firearms that the law pretty much looks at all of them as the same.
    Right, that's why I'm skeptical of his claim that having a pre 94 gun won't be a problem.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It can be registered but still has to comply with the one feature test. I think the state knows none of us intend to do any such thing, thus we have a 500$ reward on all our heads.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    i think it is messed up that the state keeps pitting people against eachother. but it is all a part of their game.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My take is the NYS Supreme Court will uphold the Safe Act as it is a corrupt biased liberal court.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast