Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SO... Does the SAFE ACT Nullify the Preban?

Feedback Score
    i hope to god it doesnt. you have most of the counties and county sherriff's opposing the legislation.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    It can be registered but still has to comply with the one feature test. I think the state knows none of us intend to do any such thing, thus we have a 500$ reward on all our heads.
    So I have heard your interpretation before from a friend of mine and several people in my community in the Mid Hudson, but as I've read the law I don't see this to be the interpretation.

The way the law reads to me is that all non single feature "assault weapons" can be grandfathered in if they were owned prior to January 14th. But I see no distinction stating how many features pre January 14th weapons can have.

I admit this shit is convoluted as all hell, which is why I wanted to start this discussion. I have my resume out to multiple free states trying to get the **** out of here. I have a 5 month old son. I made some major mistakes as a youth. I got on the straight and narrow, and before January 15th I was a clean cut law abiding, tax paying citizen of a state I have grown to love (despite it's quirks). I don't intend to register, but I don't intend to go to jail for what looks like could be my sons entire childhood all because of a $500 reward my college student neighbors decide to call in to pay for text books or kegs.

The bounty Cuomo put on our heads has me thinking as a new father, and guys I'm nervous. I'm pissed off as you all are. But I would hate to loose touch with my boy because of this shit... If I can register my guns and then have the freedom to **** around with them as I see fit (ie I can now collapse my stock and thread my barrel) in ways I couldn't before. It seems like the only appealing way to make me comply, ten round magazines suck I agree but it's better then nothing if we can't leave (I sold all of my standard capacity magazines at a yard sale for five bucks a pop to a group of MS13 members who came up and bought the entire lot of them quoting how Cuomo's SAFE act had made their lives so difficult and they were going to have to leave the state forever the next day because they didn't want to break his new law).

As it stands now I will be doing everything I can to leave this state with my new family. All of my taxes, all of the money I spend in this ****ing money pit will go elsewhere. If I can't find a job elsewhere and the big green keeps me in this ****ing state all of my questionable guns are going to be stored out of state as of April 15 2014...

While we await the courts and the phone calls from future employers why not find some ****ing loop holes to protect us?

If you don't already please follow this guy, he's the VP of NYSRPA

http://www.gunpoliticsny.com
    Last edited by Mac5.56; 04-07-13 at 00:10.
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    That was my take on it as well respect to grandfathered guns not needing to comply with the one feature nonsense but the law as I read it appears to directly contradict itself it more ways then one... that said I see nothing in it barring possession of and purchasing of lower recievers since their is no way to ascertain it's state of compliance. Its just a lower, nor is there anything saying said lowers can't be bought and registered as a pistol save for the weight restrictions. At any rate if build up an AR pull the gas tube or do something else with the DI system to render it a non semiautomatic then its exempt from needing to be registered anyway.

But like y'all said noone is going to comply anyways so the hell with them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

SO... Does the SAFE ACT Nullify the Preban?

The Ontario County Sheriffs dept supposedly said at a public meeting with Assemblyman Kolb, that they won't enforce most of the SAFE act. I wasn't there, but a friends dad was. Heard it from him.

So that's comforting. At least I don't have to sleep with my AR and a gas mask next to my bed until I move.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMETNA View Post
    The Ontario County Sheriffs dept supposedly said at a public meeting with Assemblyman Kolb, that they won't enforce most of the SAFE act. I wasn't there, but a friends dad was. Heard it from him.

So that's comforting. At least I don't have to sleep with my AR and a gas mask next to my bed until I move.
    The entire sheriffs association said they are not going to enforce it? No one will comply thus the 500$ rewards lol wtf.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac5.56 View Post
    So I have heard your interpretation before from a friend of mine and several people in my community in the Mid Hudson, but as I've read the law I don't see this to be the interpretation.

The way the law reads to me is that all non single feature "assault weapons" can be grandfathered in if they were owned prior to January 14th. But I see no distinction stating how many features pre January 14th weapons can have.

I admit this shit is convoluted as all hell, which is why I wanted to start this discussion. I have my resume out to multiple free states trying to get the **** out of here. I have a 5 month old son. I made some major mistakes as a youth. I got on the straight and narrow, and before January 15th I was a clean cut law abiding, tax paying citizen of a state I have grown to love (despite it's quirks). I don't intend to register, but I don't intend to go to jail for what looks like could be my sons entire childhood all because of a $500 reward my college student neighbors decide to call in to pay for text books or kegs.

The bounty Cuomo put on our heads has me thinking as a new father, and guys I'm nervous. I'm pissed off as you all are. But I would hate to loose touch with my boy because of this shit... If I can register my guns and then have the freedom to **** around with them as I see fit (ie I can now collapse my stock and thread my barrel) in ways I couldn't before. It seems like the only appealing way to make me comply, ten round magazines suck I agree but it's better then nothing if we can't leave (I sold all of my standard capacity magazines at a yard sale for five bucks a pop to a group of MS13 members who came up and bought the entire lot of them quoting how Cuomo's SAFE act had made their lives so difficult and they were going to have to leave the state forever the next day because they didn't want to break his new law).

As it stands now I will be doing everything I can to leave this state with my new family. All of my taxes, all of the money I spend in this ****ing money pit will go elsewhere. If I can't find a job elsewhere and the big green keeps me in this ****ing state all of my questionable guns are going to be stored out of state as of April 15 2014...

While we await the courts and the phone calls from future employers why not find some ****ing loop holes to protect us?

If you don't already please follow this guy, he's the VP of NYSRPA

http://www.gunpoliticsny.com
    I had the name of an agency in TX that takes applications every 2 weeks and is hiring, I will have to get back to you on that. It was a tip from my nuke plant security buddy, who applied.

From my wife, my state police buddies and Firearms attorney Sheldon Boyce our collective understanding is that we would have to change our pre ban guns to single feature weapons, there is no grandfathering.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had the name of an agency in TX that takes applications every 2 weeks and is hiring, I will have to get back to you on that. It was a tip from my nuke plant security buddy, who applied.

From my wife, my state police buddies and Firearms attorney Sheldon Boyce our collective understanding is that we would have to change our pre ban guns to single feature weapons, there is no grandfathering.
    I would appreciate that and it would be very kind of you to provide me that info.

I really hope your (and several of my friends) interpretation is wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

Do any of you know anyone that has registered a firearm and what the process was like?
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

ICAN, if your feeling generous forward that info my way as well. I sorta have my heart set on Kentucky presently but who knows if my plane over shoots Texas wouldn't be so bad lol. Also I replied to your PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac5.56 View Post
    Do any of you know anyone that has registered a firearm and what the process was like?
    I haven't seen anything yet as far as the registration process but the west end of the state is not as progressive as those towards the east lol. I'm imagining that it will mirror the Pistol Permit process in some ways but since individual counties handle their own and their is variability that may not work. Plus grumblings suggest they don't have the funding to fully implement a statewide database and the counties all got pissed when the state supposedly tried to put the financial burden on them to front the cost of the database when they were told they wouldn't. So in all honestly its probably just going to end up as a paper registration with your local NYSP barracks..

The state couldn't even put together a cogent law so I wouldn't expect them to be able to do this any better...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    There are several things in the works to undermine this law, I wanted to move before this and now is no different. I have a very good friend who has put it all on the line over this, he has done much more than me and most I know in this fight and he will most likely end up quitting the state police over this if he and his don't see action.

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    There are several things in the works to undermine this law, I wanted to move before this and now is no different. I have a very good friend who has put it all on the line over this, he has done much more than me and most I know in this fight and he will most likely end up quitting the state police over this if he and his don't see action.
    Tell your friend we said thank you the fullest extent possible.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast