Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CSI this deer....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The one side actually has a "formed" antler...it's just a little nub. I thought first too that it had one of the antlers broken off until further inspection.

Can I rule out a Coyote? Big concern having an indoor/outdoor cat.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 04-06-13 at 21:09.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    The one side actually has a "formed" antler...it's just a little nub. I thought first too that it had one of the antlers broken off until further inspection.

Can I rule out a Coyote? Big concern having an indoor/outdoor cat.
    Yea it hard to see that one side good in the pic. I have never seen a formed antler that blunt, they usually form some type of a point or twist a little. Maybe broken or damaged while in velvet?
    Yotes don't typically take down a healthy adult deer. They go after the very young, old, sick or injured.

Feedback Score
    The more I look at pics 2 &3 the more I am convinced that it is broken off.

Feedback Score
    Hi:
    From what I can see of the lower jaw it looks like the premolars are all present. If that is the case, then it would be about 1 year 7 months.
    Biologists use the growth and wear pattern of the teeth in the lower jaw for aging deer. It has proven to be rather accurate.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAUSER202 View Post
    The more I look at pics 2 &3 the more I am convinced that it is broken off.
    You could very well be correct, however it just seems to rounded off, or clean to be broken off.

Little better pic for you guys....

Few things I found as well...

Last edited by ALCOAR; 04-06-13 at 21:52.

Feedback Score
    Defiantly broken.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Even after breaking, they will continue to rub, which accounts for the rounded edges.

How did you find the deer? I admit that the tree looks wimpy and that the buck could snap it, but was it hanging in that tree or did you hang for pictures? It's not unusual at all for a buck to get his antlers caught in a tree while rubbing. It eventually dies or is eaten alive by yotes coming to the smorgasbord.

Bucks die all of the time from natural causes too. Drought, Blue Tongue, yotes, etc, etc. I agree, 2 years.
    Last edited by kry226; 04-07-13 at 07:14.
    Hang up and drive.

Luke 22:35-38

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Re: CSI this deer....

Young deer and a broken main beam. They can break the antlers fighting with other bucks. He could have been wounded and lost by a hunter, hit by a car, or even mortally wounded by another buck, who knows? The yotes probably cleaned up the carcass. It's a shame, he looks like he could have been a really nice buck in a couple more years.

You know, the place you shoot would be ideal for hunting coyotes. The long sight lines and a good electronic caller should give you a good shooting opportunity. If you want to know if you have yotes on the property, just take a long walk. They like to patrol edges, so roads or trails along tree lines or logging roads in the woods usually reveal the tracks and scat they leave behind.
    Last edited by mtdawg169; 04-07-13 at 08:26.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    For all we know, it could have been a dog or two. It's certainly possible.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It could very well be a plethora of different things. I know this year in Nebraska there was a HUGE number of deer killed by EHD (epizootic hemorrhagic disease). It was mainly killing white tail, because they tend to hang out around water a lot more than mule deer. I talked to a bunch of ranchers that found dozens of dead deer on their property.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast