Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Grade Two-Tone Colt...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Best Grade Two-Tone Colt...

Since my earliest years of owning and collecting guns I’ve had a distinct fondness for two-tone pistols. Although not a 1911, my first example was a two-tone Sig 228 that wore a nickeled slide atop a black anodized frame... sure it was a backwards two-tone but at the ripe old age of 15 it was the coolest I had yet to see. It wasn’t but a few years later that I the 1911 bug really sunk its teeth in and from that point forward a two-tone 1911 has had almost immeasurable appeal to me.

My first correct two-tone 1911 came in the form of a Swenson gun built on a ‘68 Commercial Colt, it remains a great example of a classic fighting gun. After that I had Ted build me a matched pair of two-tone Signature Grades on big letter Colt Series 70s and later I added a two-tone Colt Combat Elite by Chuck Rogers. Two-tone guns almost seem in my blood and I really enjoy every opportunity I get to build a customer a great two-tone piece... this Best Grade gun was no different.

Built on a Colt Series 70 reissue this gun seemed destined for a custom conversion. The owner wanted a long wearing and classic gun he could carry and practice with as well as regularly use at IDPA matches. The gun got a welded frame and slide fit, Kart barrel, EGW bushing, Wilson beavertail, Ed Brown thumb safety, hand-cut 30lpi checkering front and rear, as well as a slight round-butt modification. The slide was flattened and serrated, bordered, given a lowered and flared ejection port, and fit with a set of Heinie sights with two-dot tritium inserts. In addition to only the best quality components throughout the mag-well was beveled, the frame and slide had all lines straightened, and finally a set of Spegel stocks were fit. There’s probably a few other details I missed but you get the picture... enjoy!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Very nice!

Still saving my pennies for when my day finally comes to get a pistol of this quality...

-RD62

Feedback Score
    Stunning.

Simply beautiful.
    GLOCK PREFECTION

Feedback Score
    Very nice.....

I agree about the two-tones.....here's one from Colt's custom shop, one of 300 Lew Horton special orders. Polished stainless frame and the deep blued slide.

Feedback Score
    Well ..... It is a beautiful example of a full house 1911. The machining is flawless. It is perfectly detailed and machined in all respects except for two personal points for me .... I am not sure what kind of ass kicking I may get but here goes.
    I do not like the rear sight and it's fit. I think NOT using a old style SlantPro is selling this piece short. I know it is extra work but well worth it in looks. I do not like the base of the sight exposed to the roundtop slide.
    The second thing is the front strap checkering running off the frame .. again the easiest way to go. I prefer the checkering to stop and Not provide many sharp catch points for skin and clothing.

Well there ... I said what I was thinking. I share my comments with the utmost respect to Mr Burton and this forum.

Harold H.

Feedback Score
    I agree regarding the fit of the rear sight, it just looks out of place to me (but then I prefer the Yost retro rear sights). But this build suits the owners purpose and that is what matters. I especially like the barrel crown, and the way the slide fits the frame at the rear of the colt. Not too many produce a product with that much attention to detail. A true custom.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoveyh View Post
    Well ..... It is a beautiful example of a full house 1911. The machining is flawless. It is perfectly detailed and machined in all respects except for two personal points for me .... I am not sure what kind of ass kicking I may get but here goes.
    No ass-kicking at all... I very much appreciate the feedback, thank you.

I do not like the rear sight and it's fit. I think NOT using a old style SlantPro is selling this piece short. I know it is extra work but well worth it in looks. I do not like the base of the sight exposed to the roundtop slide.
    It may not be obvious so it's worth mentioning... the rear sight is a Slant-Pro, it's just had the rear "leg" removed. I don't know the removing the rear leg is any "less" work but I find that it does allow the advantage of being able to install a new firing pin stop without having to trim the new stop.

Thanks again fellas!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    Stunning.

Simply beautiful.
    +1

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Burton View Post
    I don't know the removing the rear leg is any "less" work but I find that it does allow the advantage of being able to install a new firing pin stop without having to trim the new stop.
    Simply excellent! Never thought of that advantage.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Jason,

Who did the hard-chrome?

Mace
    "Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast