Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock 17 range report

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Double. oops.
    Glock Armorer

"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Edmund Burke

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    If that ammo ran fine through your 17 round mags, then it's the 33 rounder. I've shot a ton of that WWB through my 19 with only a few stove pipes, probably me limp wristing. Runs fine normally. I had two stove pipes with some Blazer the other day which was weird, hasn't happened in a while, but I did just start shooting Blazer. In your case I would almost guarantee it has something to do with that 33 round mag if it's only doing it when you use it and not the 17 round mags.
    Glock Armorer

"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Edmund Burke

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)
    Ya Im not a big fan of the +2 extensions on any mag. If it wouldnt have been on the first mag of the day I would have thought limp wrist or the gun was the problem. I'm going to switch out my +2's for regular floor plates, but Im still going to leave those mags as range only. Ill probably try to get out to the range in a little while and use my 17 rounders only. My new sights are coming in anyways so I can test those out to

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)
    Just got back from the indoor range down the road from my house. I went to Academy and picked up one of the UMC 250 rd packs and a box of the 50 winchester target rounds. With my 17rd mags I shot the gun rapid fire, slow fire, 5 mag ammo dump, and even limp wristed and the 17 ran perfect. I had the G17 smoking after the 5 mag dump but it still kept going! When I was limp wristing the pistol almost flew out of my hands a few times but it kept going. I think im going to keep my G18 mags just for range use and not for my truck. I like having 33 rds at my disposal but I like a gun that goes bang everytime even better!

Feedback Score
    I agree with Todd on the ammo.

Put yourself in Winchester's shoes: In making that ammo, Winchester has to take into account that there are handguns chambered in 9mm Luger that are now over 100 years old, and its a certainty that some numb-nut out there WILL put that ammo in an antique gun. If an antique gun ever pops (nothing lasts forever) guess who gets sued? So called 9mm "standard velocity" ammo is WEAK for good reason.

Now put yourself in Glock's shoes: In making the Glock 17, they have to assume some numb-nut is going to shoot only +p+ ammo through it (as they do in most police training accademies) and expect 100% reliability and safety - just like the guy shooting WWB - even though those 2 types of ammo are night & day in 9mm (what would you expect from a 100-year old caliber?).

Q: what recoil spring will be 100% reliable with ALL types of 9mm ammo out there all the time? A: none.

As for +p+, the G17 can take it. I've chronoed NATO Hirtenberger L7A1's 124 grn bullets at 1350 FPS from a 17 (that is approaching .357 Sig territory) though I've only fired a few of those rounds. A friend also fired some - to the tune of 1200 rounds of L7 - through his 17 and its still going.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12