Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any one carry a S&W 686 2 1/2 in.?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

any one carry a S&W 686 2 1/2 in.?

I've been looking for a 357 revolver for awhile now and I found a good deal on a used 686 with 2 1/2 inch barrel. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this gun for concealed carry? And any pros cons of the gun?
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score

Re: any one carry a S&W 686 2 1/2 in.?

I had one 24 years ago. I just started my law enforcement career and couldn't wait to get my first off duty.

It was an anchor and night fire was an adventure. It breathed fire like a dragon. Sold it and miss it to this day. It's just to heavy for everyday concealed carry. Sure was good looking though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aguila327 View Post
    I had one 24 years ago. I just started my law enforcement career and couldn't wait to get my first off duty.

It was an anchor and night fire was an adventure. It breathed fire like a dragon. Sold it and miss it to this day. It's just to heavy for everyday concealed carry. Sure was good looking though.

How was shooting 357mag out of it?
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score

Re: any one carry a S&W 686 2 1/2 in.?

The recoils was as expected. Stout but the weight of the weapon made it managable. The 3x3' block of flame coming out of the muzzle was somewhat impressive. (I may be exaggerating a little, but it was pretty impressive to this rookies eyes.)

If I remember correctly the load was 125 winchester hp's

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had a buddy that carried one for a few weeks. Hell of a fun one to shoot, and it did indeed breath fire. Recoil sharp, but manageable. He quit carrying it because it was a boat anchor on his hip

Feedback Score
    One down side to the sub 3" barrel is that you don't get a full length ejector rod... the spent cases are not completely removed from the charge holes. It might be a mostly academic problem, but the potential is there to have a case hang up in a charge hole, delaying a reload.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aguila327 View Post
    ...It's just to heavy for everyday concealed carry. Sure was good looking though...
    That sums up my opinion pretty well. Gorgeous gun, but it's just a bit too heavy to wear very long.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I carried a 3” 686 for a while, like already said nice piece but a freakin' tank, still carry is doable.

I really like the 3” 65 & 66.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 04-13-13 at 22:32.

Feedback Score
    Too heavy for daily carry according to whom? You should be the judge of what is too heavy and what is not. If you are use to a full size, all steel 1911 then no it shouldn't be a problem but if your daily carry is a sub-compact Glock, then yes it probably is too much for you. I quite often CCW a 2.5" Ruger Alaskan 44 mag stoked with 44 Specials but then again I can CCW a pair of 2.5" Colt Pythons in a New York Reload Holster all day long and not be bothered.

MadDog
    Last edited by MadDog; 04-14-13 at 20:45.

Feedback Score
    For daily carry, the Mod. 60 with it's 2.1" barrel is a better option.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast