Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blasting ammo.. Herters. (Update Pg 3)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    What do you want to know??
    At this point all you left out is whether you were wearing a hat or not.

Anyway did you try the magnet?

Edit: Realized you said tonight this morning, so that means this tonight. Got it.
    Last edited by Safetyhit; 04-15-13 at 11:19.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yep. The bullets stick to a magnet...

And the buffer system is the A5 with standard A5 kit buffer.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Yep. The bullets stick to a magnet...

And the buffer system is the A5 with standard A5 kit buffer.
    Thanks.

I was wondering because the outdoor range I go to does not like you shooting steel core rounds at their steel targets.
    Last edited by Zane1844; 04-15-13 at 18:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    Thanks.

I was wondering because the outdoor range I go to does not like you shooting steel core rounds at their steel targets.
    Actually, its a copper clad thin steel Jacket, Not "Steel core" as many refer to it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingchild View Post
    Actually, its a copper clad thin steel Jacket, Not "Steel core" as many refer to it.
    Exactly this. Unfortunately some ranges will bar it if it sticks to a magnet, however. Some will also claim that the bi-metal jacket is an increased fire hazard due to the tendency to spark when it hits a hard object (rocks, concrete etc).

As someone else said, Herters is simply rebranded ammo that comes from the Tula factory in Russia. It is the worst of the bunch - generally speaking, you are better off with stuff that comes from Barnaul (i.e. the Bears, or last year or two newer Wolf "WPA", after they changed factories. The Barnaul produced ammo is in general slightly hotter and more consistent round to round, and is slightly more accurate (i.e. 2.5-3 MOA instead of 4).
    Dan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SA80Dan View Post
    As someone else said, Herters is simply rebranded ammo that comes from the Tula factory in Russia. It is the worst of the bunch - generally speaking, you are better off with stuff that comes from Barnaul (i.e. the Bears, or last year or two newer Wolf "WPA", after they changed factories. The Barnaul produced ammo is in general slightly hotter and more consistent round to round, and is slightly more accurate (i.e. 2.5-3 MOA instead of 4).
    I was surprised that it was this functional. I might try to pull some of the bullets and shoot them in my handloads... AND put some matchkings in the Herters cases to see why the accuracy is so poor.

The cases? The bullets? etc.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Herters is just Tulammo repackaged. I shot 100 rounds of it through my AR last weekend. I didn't shoot any paper but it works great for shooting at cars, barrels, and boats! I didn't have one malfunction with it, and ejection patterns were pretty consistent.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was surprised that it was this functional. I might try to pull some of the bullets and shoot them in my handloads... AND put some matchkings in the Herters cases to see why the accuracy is so poor.

The cases? The bullets? etc.
    That'd be an interesting experiment - go for it! I strongly suspect the inconsistent loadings and bullets, rather than cases. For instance, the Hornady steel case ammo is basically using Hornady bullets, powder and measured loadings in cases sourced from Barnaul - and it is damn accurate and consistent.

Using the bimetal jacket rounds in your own cases and with your own loads, in comparison to your usual SMK's or whatever - great idea, look forward to seeing the results
    Dan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'll split up a 20 round box and try some stuff out. May even get frisky and check bullet runout and weigh some of the powder charges to see if that plays any part in the bad accuracy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SA80Dan View Post
    generally speaking, you are better off with stuff that comes from Barnaul (i.e. the Bears, or last year or two newer Wolf "WPA", after they changed factories.
    I've noticed that the Brown/Silver bear I have and the newer Wolf WPA both have identical head stamps (same source?). Both have been reliable in my BCM middy. Tula...not so much.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast