Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: why no love for the XCR-M?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The simple answer is the owner. I was looking to purchase two rifles in 2003. The company would not provide me with what I wanted. It was a simple and easy problem to fix. Company did not care.

The result was I never spent a dime and never will with that company. Many people have had the same experience. Its a shame really, it seems like they make good rifles.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    +1, how about just a total lack of seeing them? It's hard to throw down good money on a rifle sight unseen that has a questionable customer service reputation.
    Yes. To be honest, I forgot they even existed. Much less see one in person...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had an XCR in 5.56 a while back. It was a great rifle, and I liked the design. I'd be willing to give the XCR-M a chance, but it's a sellers market right now.
    Insert impressive resume here.

Feedback Score
    Well, I'm about as close to a SME on the XCR as you are gonna get this side of either Kermit Zahm or Alex himself, but this is my opinion based on years of XCR ownership and thousands of round downrange in varied conditions.

I dont think it's lack of market penetration has anything to do with it's design. The XCR-M keeps up nicely in every category with the SCAR and the like, and the XCR-L just beats every other offering's design hands down as the epitome of modern design and modularity.

Problem lies with poor marketing, failure of the company to either A) Answer the phone and do what they say, and say what they can do or B) refer all customers to a network of dealers who will do A

Second thing is that the reputation they gained during a certain period will live on for a long time thru the internet rumour. It's the same mechanism that says that AR's are not reliable and AK's cant hit anything. Not based on current information in any way and not particularly true either.

I had one and it seemed like a fine weapon for the 500-600 rounds I was able to run thru it. I dont think the design was as simple as the -L but it was damned accurate and with the light barrel balanced VERY nicely and was NOT overly heavy. (the heavy barrel 18" was front heavy).

You know, if I could fix a couple things about RobArm it would be to get Alex to stick to designing guns, then get a proper PAID PROFESSIONAL marketer on board, then set up and exclusive dealer network to handle ALL the sales.

The guy has money and passion and some great ideas and that company aint going to disappear anytime soon, but it does need to be run better.

The guns are great tho and the company has made needed design changes and upgrades faster than any other gun company on the planet.
    Last edited by Jack-O; 04-14-13 at 22:58.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O View Post
    Well, I'm about as close to a SME on the XCR as you are gonna get this side of either Kermit Zahm or Alex himself, but this is my opinion based on years of XCR ownership and thousands of round downrange in varied conditions.

I dont think it's lack of market penetration has anything to do with it's design. The XCR-M keeps up nicely in every category with the SCAR and the like, and the XCR-L just beats every other offering's design hands down as the epitome of modern design and modularity.

Problem lies with poor marketing, failure of the company to either A) Answer the phone and do what they say, and say what they can do or B) refer all customers to a network of dealers who will do A

Second thing is that the reputation they gained during a certain period will live on for a long time thru the internet rumour. It's the same mechanism that says that AR's are not reliable and AK's cant hit anything. Not based on current information in any way and not particularly true either.

I had one and it seemed like a fine weapon for the 500-600 rounds I was able to run thru it. I dont think the design was as simple as the -L but it was damned accurate and with the light barrel balanced VERY nicely and was NOT overly heavy. (the heavy barrel 18" was front heavy).

You know, if I could fix a couple things about RobArm it would be to get Alex to stick to designing guns, then get a proper PAID PROFESSIONAL marketer on board, then set up and exclusive dealer network to handle ALL the sales.

The guy has money and passion and some great ideas and that company aint going to disappear anytime soon, but it does need to be run better.

The guns are great tho and the company has made needed design changes and upgrades faster than any other gun company on the planet.
    Jack-O summed it up accurately. I haven't touched the XCR-M yet but I've had an XCR-L for several years now. I bought it while waiting for the "Massada" (now ACR) and the SCAR to hit the market. In a way I wish I hadn't bought the XCR because it has been such a great rifle I lost interest in trying the SCAR 16 or ACR until both those rifles have their shortcomings addressed. (The SCARs reciprocating bolt and the ACRs weight, barrel profile, caliber options, etc.)

The biggest challenge was simply getting my XCR-L. Contacting RRA was a pain back then. When I ordered my rifle, I was told 2-4 weeks. Then nobody would pick up the phone or answer email. I finally got it around 12-14 weeks I think. Terra looked into it and got things moving. Only customer service I dealt with was part upgrades. I went straight through Terra so it was fast and painless. Too bad she's gone now.

Fast forward to now and the XCR-M. I wouldn't have a problem trying one. I'm confident it would be a fine rifle. I would go through a dealer for everything vs. dealing with RRA directly. RRA isn't going anywhere. It would be nice to see them expand. I do agree that Alex needs to stick to design and leave the marketing and CS to others with people skills. That company would take off.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    At least with Robinson you don't have to worry about not being able to get parts if they go out of business. You won't be able to get any parts while they're still IN business.

XCR's are badly engineered and suffer from poor longevity. No relationship to world class firearms like the SCAR-H, or .308 LMT, Larue, HK, or KAC rifles. Some people of note who get SCAR-H's for free choose to privately purchase Larue PredatAR's and OBR's, that's called a CLUE.

Ask any SME how XCR's have performed in their classes. I don't even see anyone attempting to run them anymore.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    How much were these when they came out? Pre-panic...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The single screw locking the barrel into the receiver always seemed like a design flaw. There seems to be no secondary measure to keep the barrel from launching down range should the barrel retaining screw loosen.

And I followed Robinson Armament since the debut of the M96. They apparently had poor customer service back then and it seems it has not changed with time. The discussions over on the Biggerhammer M96 forum were almost always vitriolic. I almost bought an m96 back around 1999, but after reading all of the terrible reviews about customer service I decided against it.

I think their designs show promise, but still need some refinement (ala the barrel retaining screw). In the future I suspect these rifles will be the more modern analog of the Holloway HAC-7.

Feedback Score
    Hell with it all.. Someone just needs to bringback the HAC 7. Of all my .308, the HAC is the best. Some much potential!

Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    I think their designs show promise, but still need some refinement (ala the barrel retaining screw). In the future I suspect these rifles will be the more modern analog of the Holloway HAC-7.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ESK View Post
    Hell with it all.. Someone just needs to bringback the HAC 7. Of all my .308, the HAC is the best. Some much potential!

How about some photos, including field stripped?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast