Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: why no love for the XCR-M?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    The single screw locking the barrel into the receiver always seemed like a design flaw. There seems to be no secondary measure to keep the barrel from launching down range should the barrel retaining screw loosen.

I've failed to correctly torque the barrel screw one time then did a mag dump for the hell of it. accuracy went to hell but the barrel stayed there. heres why

-the threads are a locking type so the nut just doesnt spin out easily. it would be very very difficult to launch the barrel before you notices the barrel was way loose
    -physics makes i kinda hard to send the barrel forward when loose
    -the bolt headspaces on the barrel and extention so even with a loose barrel it will only fire if the bolt is locked into the barrel and the bolt has some play to move with the loose barrel

It's kind of a genius design actually. so much leeway to cover for problems.
    Last edited by Jack-O; 04-18-13 at 15:49.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    I had a brief flirtation with an XCR. First off, Alex is a bigoted ass that is prone to tantrums that poorly represent himself and his company.

Secondly, I have had several XCRs in rifle classes and they typically don't work well. Core components are screwed in. Screws back out at inconvenient times. I've seen barrels shoot loose, gas blocks come off and internal parts break. Combined that with a completely proprietary system, with one source of spare parts... its just not sustainable. IMHO he should have made the XCR an upper that fit onto an existing AR lower. at least then you could replace some of the parts...

Don't get me started on 762x39 versions. God they sucked.

D
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like the XCR....but honestly rarely ever see them in shops in S. FL. Like once or twice ever...maybe.

Beyond that, I'd be happy to make room in my safe for one.
    AMERICAN INFIDEL

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ESK View Post
    Hell with it all.. Someone just needs to bringback the HAC 7. Of all my .308, the HAC is the best. Some much potential!
    Old school shit. Early 80's. AR10 Waffle mags were cheap and available. You got pics?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by armakraut View Post
    No relationship to world class firearms like the SCAR-H, or .308 LMT, Larue, HK, or KAC rifles. Some people of note who get SCAR-H's for free choose to privately purchase Larue PredatAR's and OBR's, that's called a CLUE.
    I am confused here. You first refer to the SCAR-H as a world class firearm but then mention that some people choose to buy something else rather than use one for free. Are you implying something negative about the SCAR? You seemed to just really make a quick switch from the XCR to SCAR and back again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KTR03 View Post
    Secondly, I have had several XCRs in rifle classes and they typically don't work well. Core components are screwed in. Screws back out at inconvenient times. I've seen barrels shoot loose, gas blocks come off and internal parts break.

D
    these are all primarily operator failures. the gun requires regular maintenance just like the AR needs lube. dont give it what it needs and it'll fail just like any other machine.

Instructors need to learn this system. the short course is "blue locktite all bolts/screws and torque correctly. If it fails... turn the gas up and check lube" Thats pretty much all there is different to the XCR.

as for the 762x39... it was a magazine issue really. I wouldnt buy one myself, and for the price of a conversion I can buy a whole AK with mags that work.
    I asked Alex personally once why he didnt make the 762x39 just use the AK mags that actually worked, his response was that they didnt have a bolt hold open. That still baffles me.
    Last edited by Jack-O; 04-18-13 at 21:08.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have an XCR in 6.8, great rifle. I wanted the stuff to convert it to 5.56 or 5.45, called, e-mailed, several times, no response. I don't do business with folks who don't return e-mails and calls. I would have bought another XCR-L or two and an XCR-M or two.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeper22 View Post
    I am confused here. You first refer to the SCAR-H as a world class firearm but then mention that some people choose to buy something else rather than use one for free. Are you implying something negative about the SCAR? You seemed to just really make a quick switch from the XCR to SCAR and back again.
    Just depends on what you're using the gun for. The Larue is better for longer range work. SCAR-H's are being used as sort of a marksman rifle. A 16'' or 18'' predatAR or OBR is going to be better in that role, as would an LMT WMS (all be it a rather heavy gun). Even FN is working on a dedicated marksman rifle, the MK 20.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by armakraut View Post
    Just depends on what you're using the gun for. The Larue is better for longer range work. SCAR-H's are being used as sort of a marksman rifle. A 16'' or 18'' predatAR or OBR is going to be better in that role, as would an LMT WMS (all be it a rather heavy gun). Even FN is working on a dedicated marksman rifle, the MK 20.
    I know the differences between them. I was just a little confused by your prior post. It was a bit scatterbrain. I thought you were knocing the SCAR's quality, but apparently you were talking about the design purposes and intended uses of different rifles.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KTR03 View Post
    IMHO he should have made the XCR an upper that fit onto an existing AR lower. at least then you could replace some of the parts...
    Seen the Faxon AKAR? I've been watching it, supposedly they're shipping. Honestly I don't know why we haven't seen more modular upper systems.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast