Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Flat vs Curved Triggers

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I've got 5 SD-C triggers and 1 SSA-E.

I find that the SD-C allows me to have better control of the trigger (Purchase area as you put it) in regards to being wet/sweaty. The trigger is wider and flat and allows a more sutable ledge to hold on too. I've experienced no issues with purchase area while using the -C triggers.

After using the -C triggers for the last 2 years, my finger goes to the same place everytime, low center of the trigger. I've experimented with different positions (Hi, mid, low) and having my finger low on the trigger just flat out works better for me. When I first started using them I would short stroke the trigger many times. Usually on a high placement of my finger or a mid hold. The lower hold runs the trigger solid without the short stroke.

The only difficulty I've ever experienced from going back and forth between triggers is when switching from my SD-C to the SSA-E. I have to constantly remind myself that there is in fact a difference. That break definitely sneaks up on you with the SSA-E. I've only been using the -E for a couple months now so I'm still learning it. Going from the -C to say a Glock trigger, no issues other than I wish my Glock trigger was as nice as the -C.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxman7 View Post
    My SD-C is like crack. Will not have another rifle without one.

The interface with the flat trigger is hard to describe without actually trying one out yourself.

-Jax
    +1

I loved my SD-C and would still be using it if the command staff at my agency weren't mouth breathers. :/
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    From a novice perspective, I have an SD-C and very much prefer its feel over a traditional curved trigger. No problems going back and forth between the C and my M&P or PPQ triggers. I fell in love with it the instant I first dry fired it.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I recently switched to the SD-C and I couldn't be happier. The flat blade really facilitates proper trigger manipulation and the feeling on my trigger finger is very positive, no slipping or anything.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've got an SD-C and a few SSA's. While the SD-C is a very nice trigger, I've come to the conclusion it really matters very little, flat vs curved - so for that reason I'd sooner save a few bucks and get the curved ones these days. Going back and forth between the two doesn't seem an issue either.
    Dan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    I could just sit on the couch all day dryfiring a SD-E or SD-3G
    And I thought I was the only one.
    Life is full of choices. I choose Noveske.

Feedback Score
    WOW! Thank you for all the replies. I really didn't expect this thread to generate this much interest. So it seems the general consensus is that my original concerns are unfounded... good to hear. If someone DOES have a negative experience to share about the Dynamic triggers, or you just plain don't like them for whatever reason, please share and give details.

Two new questions popped into my head as I was reading the replies:

1. What grip do you prefer with the SD-C/SD-E/SD3G? (specific trigger doesnt matter for this one as long as it's in the super dynamic line) I was planning on going with the MOE but I know the reach for my finger will be a little farther with the SD-E and the MOE grip is thicker than other grips (one of the reasons I want to go with it... I feel like it will more closely mimic the thickness of a Glock grip). FWIW, in the past I have always used standard curved triggers and the standard A2 grip and ALWAYS found myself wishing the trigger was farther forward, or the grip was farther back. My hands are on the smaller side but they fit a Glock 9mm/40S&W/.357Sig frame decent enough... the Glock .45ACP/10mm, not so well. I can reach the trigger, but I cant reach the front of the trigger guard.
    2. For those of you that have tried both the super semi-auto and super dynamic triggers of the same flavor (example: SSA/SD-C, or SSA-E/SD-E, not SSA-E/SD-C), does the super dynamic line offer enough functional benefit over the super semi-auto to justify the added cost, in your opinion? Keep in mind the eventual purpose for this rifle will be a dual role combat/precision type.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Or get the Tricon which IMO is the best of both worlds. The top is curved but the bottom is flat like the SD-C style, yet the face of the trigger is serrated which give you better feel especially with gloves on. Unfortunately they dont have a Tricon-E model yet but it has the same advantage similar to the SD-C. TRIDENT82 may disown me for this but i switched out the SD-C for a Tricon and never looked back.
    I saw those, but I'm not sure I see the benefit of a hybrid trigger... seems like it would function just like a flat face trigger only with a shorter reach for your finger due to the curve at the top - it's not like you're going to be squeezing the very top of the trigger. Maybe the shorter reach is the point, idk. The serrations look nice, but I can use grip tape if need be. The big thing that jumped out at me is that Geissele specifically notes that the springs are stainless steel... Am I correct in inferring then that the springs in their other triggers are not stainless steel?

If they had a Tricon-E out right now it would probably rank higher among triggers I'm considering. I'm pretty settled on the "enhanced" version of whichever trigger I go with, unless you think there's a reason I should stick with the standard combat version? I'm all ears.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Trigger grooves are generally held to be a poor choice for higher volume, fast shooting. A trigger with grooves or other type of rough surface will blister the trigger finger quickly. This may not apply to shooters who always wear gloves.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-16-13 at 09:34.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    The SD triggers ruined me!

All three triggers in the lineup are the best of their respective classes imho. The SD-C is the best hard use AR trigger, the SD-E is the best hard use precision AR trigger, and lastly the SD-3G is best gaming trigger made feeling.

In terms of feel....the SD-E, and SD-3G really blow everything else away imho.

ETA..

to answer the title..

The SD design sensitizes the trigger's pull to the naked touch. Essentially it works to lighten the pull by perception vs. reality. SSA-E feels like 3.5-4lbs......SD-E feels more like 3-3.5lbs.
    I am curious as to what other triggers you have tried?
    FUNDAMENTALS: A crutch for the talentless

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast