Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Noveske 14.5s - hacking up some NSRs

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Your kung-fu is strong.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Nice. I'm no fan of that rail, but it is VERY refreshing to see a guy work on an AR project where the end result isn't a ruined gun.

There's been a few too many Retarded "armorers" here lately.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    This is a VERY timely thread for me. I'm building up a 6.8 and I'm wanting to use a 13.5" NSR. I was expecting to use a low pro gb and throw a Troy folding BUIS far enough back to put an X300 in front of it. I always prefer the front sight be attached to the barrel itself though. I happened to pick up a Vltor VST-1P on sale and wondered if I could do a gb cutout on an NSR and use the VST in place of a fixed FSB. The way your FSB slots into the NSR, it looks like I can even make a very small relief cut on the left side and use the VST's QD socket for the front sling point!

The NSR was going to get Cerakoted in Burnt Bronze anyway, so your project makes me think it might work! Thanks!

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Nice. I'm no fan of that rail, but it is VERY refreshing to see a guy work on an AR project where the end result isn't a ruined gun.

There's been a few too many Retarded "armorers" here lately.
    Thanks. It never ceases to amaze me that people will A) put money into a crap carbine/rifle instead buying something quality and B) that people will start hacking away at their $1000-$2000 with no apparent forethought. Many American's lack of critical thinking skills is depressing.

I wasn't married to the NSR for the rail, but as I did some other builds with other rails, nothing seemed like it was going to work as well (considered Troy or VTAC Alphas, Geissele MK1/MK2, Rainer Evolution, Kac URX 3.1, DD 14"). The LaRue would have been good also.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd.amendment View Post
    Many American's lack of critical thinking skills is depressing.
    No kidding.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    This is a VERY timely thread for me. I'm building up a 6.8 and I'm wanting to use a 13.5" NSR. I was expecting to use a low pro gb and throw a Troy folding BUIS far enough back to put an X300 in front of it. I always prefer the front sight be attached to the barrel itself though. I happened to pick up a Vltor VST-1P on sale and wondered if I could do a gb cutout on an NSR and use the VST in place of a fixed FSB. The way your FSB slots into the NSR, it looks like I can even make a very small relief cut on the left side and use the VST's QD socket for the front sling point!

The NSR was going to get Cerakoted in Burnt Bronze anyway, so your project makes me think it might work! Thanks!
    Glad my build might help. I can't speak to the VST QD working or not, but if I can post any other pictures that might help, let me know.

Do you have the pinned version or clamp version? Not sure if one would be easier than the other. The clamp could be a blessing or a curse, depending on how close the allen bolts are to the bottom of the barrel (though it is probably less of an issue if you are using a barrel that is .750 at the gas block - A larger diameter barrel should make it easier to access the pins or bolts through the lower vent holes.

Not sure if it matters to you, but it seems if you could get the QD in the NST, it would have severely limited rotation due to the NSR that may or may not be good.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    No kidding.
    Don't get me started.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    very nice. i too am also very disappointed with rail options for a fsb gun. seems magpul moe is about only option. unfortunately the a2 on my bcm 14.5 is pinned/welded so i cannot even try to replicate your beautiful piece of craftsmanship. fine job sir.
    so far to the left i must be right.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I've been waiting to hear the story, sounds like quite a process.

Kudos on the great work, that is very impressive.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd.amendment View Post
    Glad my build might help. I can't speak to the VST QD working or not, but if I can post any other pictures that might help, let me know.

Do you have the pinned version or clamp version? Not sure if one would be easier than the other. The clamp could be a blessing or a curse, depending on how close the allen bolts are to the bottom of the barrel (though it is probably less of an issue if you are using a barrel that is .750 at the gas block - A larger diameter barrel should make it easier to access the pins or bolts through the lower vent holes.

Not sure if it matters to you, but it seems if you could get the QD in the NST, it would have severely limited rotation due to the NSR that may or may not be good.
    It's the pinned version. I don't fully trust anything that just clamps on in a critical area like that. I think the NSR would actually act as a rotation limiter, which the VST QD socket doesn't have. I'd prefer rotation limited myself.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast