Thread: Mounting an Eotech 512

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Mounting an Eotech 512

Well, after the love afair I had with my EoTech mounted on my LaRue FF rail, I finally got tired of the horrible balance and put it back on my upper.

Problem is, its a 512. (Anyone who has had to mount one directly to their upper will know what I'm talking about)

I have 4 gaps between it's back and my BUIS (I wanna get the controls easily under stress), meaning it spans across the nut, but no biggie since the mounting portion is grabbing my upper. Problem is, the Eotech actually rubs the nut, should this interfere with my zero at all?

Any of you direct-to-upper guys have any experiences you wanna share? (Especially if you are using a LaRue FreeFloat HG)

I'm loving every moment of this, BTW. I used to be a big fan of the Eotech on the HG and the VFG back right under neath it, but moving the optic back and and the VFG to about 22 gives the gun a very balanced feel, especially considering the 13.2 rail on it.

I'm reluctant to buy a LaRue mount because I enjoy the absolute co-witness as well as clear FOV I get with my front flip up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BushmasterFanBoy View Post
    Problem is, its a 512. (Anyone who has had to mount one directly to their upper will know what I'm talking about)

I have 4 gaps between it's back and my BUIS (I wanna get the controls easily under stress), meaning it spans across the nut, but no biggie since the mounting portion is grabbing my upper. Problem is, the Eotech actually rubs the nut, should this interfere with my zero at all?
    I don't understand the problem you're trying to describe.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    I don't understand the problem you're trying to describe.
    I think he means he has it mounted so far forward (to be able to access the buttons on the rear of the optic) that it is over the barrel nut.

He must have a fixed rear BUIS.

Feedback Score
    I just mounted mine closer to my BUIS no issues plenty of room for my gloved mitts to hit the buttons.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I mount my 552 directly on the upper receiver on the last rail address. It also sits over the barrel nut of my LaRue 9.0 and my sight's base does have some contact the barrel nut.

IMHO, this is a non-issue because the EOTech only has one mount point and it is mounted only on the upper receiver.

IIRC, the loss of zero issues due to bridging the receiver and rail was for magnified optics with rings or one piece mounts with two mount points where one was on the receiver and the other was on the rail.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    I think he means he has it mounted so far forward (to be able to access the buttons on the rear of the optic) that it is over the barrel nut.
    Okay, thanks!

I have mine mounted that far forward. No problems.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Okay thanks guys. Although I may still eye up that LaRue mount, maybe there is some kind of subliminal messaging in all those dillos, hats and t-shirts!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BushmasterFanBoy View Post
    Okay thanks guys. Although I may still eye up that LaRue mount, maybe there is some kind of subliminal messaging in all those dillos, hats and t-shirts!
    You could also take a look at the Dominator mount. It is a BUIS and riser in one with dual aperture and windage/elevation adjustability.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A tad of an update, I just went back the scout style mount. I guess after so long, I lost sight of why I put it so far out.

Well, after changing it back, I can only tell you- WOW. If any of you guys have FF tubes, give it a try. Its not a common setup, but you may be happily surprised by the huge benefits of eye relief and speed of aiming. The balance does change a bit, but I find my gun to be more handy now overall, as the rearward aiming was slowing me down and felt awkward.

I'm happy with my Eotech on the handguards and that's where it will stay.

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    I guess you just have to find what works for you.