Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How common is it for an upper not to fit a lower?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Your lower is right on the bottom edge of the spec. The lower receiver blueprints call for .500" +0.000/-.004 It is likely that it will be problematic with many uppers. I've yet to find a blueprint for uppers so I can figure out what their specs are. (ETA: I have found upper prints, but none of them have the dimension for the mating surfaces between the upper and lower) I would imagine that there is some point within the tolerances that a upper on the big side of spec won't fit in a lower that is on the small side of spec.
    That is my conclusion as well. I do not expect the company which makes the upper to run around their place mic'ing uppers. I am going to just ask for a refund, slap the former (that fits) 10.5" upper back on it. Hopefully the company will work with me. I am pretty sure they will, they are one of the best around, especially on the CS department. No names, as I have not talked to them yet, this is not a "bash thread", etc.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Like I said above, I wouldn't hesitate to two the pin through, if possible. Doing this a couple times might get you where you want to be.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Like I said above, I wouldn't hesitate to two the pin through, if possible. Doing this a couple times might get you where you want to be.
    I don't want to break anything. It feels like there is a good chance of that if I muscle it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Reminds me of the old Olympic Arms days.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Reminds me of the old Olympic Arms days.
    Lol, no, the upper and lower are both by some of the best companies out there, by reputation.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a very tight fitting upper/lower from different manufacturers... but they do fit and the gun does work.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have contacted the manufacturer of the upper and a solution is in the works. So far I am very pleased, and when there is resolution, I will post up the names and what happened. I am refraining from this thus far as this is not a fanboy or a bash thread at this point, as nothing has ACTUALLY been done, but the promises are very promising.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Lol, no, the upper and lower are both by some of the best companies out there, by reputation.
    I hear you. That issue used to belong to Oly though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I have a very tightly fitting LMT lower and DD upper.
    No functional issues, and it sure does make the "upper/lower play" crowd happy.
    I only need to break it down for detailed cleaning while I am home anyway so I really don't care that I need to use a punch to drift the pin.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I don't want to break anything. It feels like there is a good chance of that if I muscle it.
    You won't. Remove the buffer, action spring and bolt carrier group and hold it together tight. Use a rubber ma,let or something similar to tap the take down pin. You can hit on it pretty good, but I wouldn't pound it.

Doing this a couple times should loosen it up. My AAC was so tight at first, I was worried and I couldn't try it on anther lower I had since it wasn't SBR'd. But now I can do it by hand like any other upper. I think it was anodizing, but I have no clue.

If that doesn't work, then send it back. Seriously, it'll take a lot to break anything.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 04-18-13 at 10:49.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast