Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How common is it for an upper not to fit a lower?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The company that sold me the upper asked for my lower and their upper back. They are going to hand select an upper for me.
    Last edited by WS6; 04-26-13 at 15:44.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I have a very tightly fitting LMT lower and DD upper.
    No functional issues, and it sure does make the "upper/lower play" crowd happy.
    I only need to break it down for detailed cleaning while I am home anyway so I really don't care that I need to use a punch to drift the pin.
    Surprisingly I have a DD upper that is holy shit tight on a NoDak Spud A1 type lower that I bought when I thought I may do a retro build. BCM upper on the same lower works totally fine and the DD on my SBRed RRA lower has a tight fit but I only have to use the punch for the pins on the nodak spud lower....haven't checked the fit of my Noveske on the nodak spud lower.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by adh View Post
    Surprisingly I have a DD upper that is holy shit tight on a NoDak Spud A1 type lower that I bought when I thought I may do a retro build. BCM upper on the same lower works totally fine and the DD on my SBRed RRA lower has a tight fit but I only have to use the punch for the pins on the nodak spud lower....haven't checked the fit of my Noveske on the nodak spud lower.
    I had two Nodak Spud lowers and both were absurdly tight fits with every upper I tried.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The company I sent the upper and lower to has informed me that my lower is out of spec by 0.003". I have several uppers here (VLTOR VIS and PSA) that fit this lower, but that is a moot point to me if it's not in spec./won't fit the SBR upper I bought. I will contact the company which made the lower before posting further about it, to see what resolution they can offer me.

*Seriously irritated at having a factory SBR'ed lower that is a paperweight with in-spec uppers*
    Last edited by WS6; 04-25-13 at 12:27.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The lower is a Gen 2 Noveske FFL.
    The upper was a Daniel Defense 10.3" 300 BLK.

I finally resolved things with DD:

They tried over half a dozen uppers and could not find one that fit. They stated that the Noveske lower is 0.003" too narrow and out of spec. Daniel Defense is returning my Noveske lower and refunding my upper purchase.

I also resolved things with Noveske:

Initially upon being asked "Is your Gen 2 FFL lower mil-spec", I was told "yes". I then explained the issue as above. I was placed on hold. Upon return, I was asked if I bought the lower as a complete rifle, being as it was an SBR and I would have had to. I responded that "Yes", I had. I was then told that since Noveske had shipped it as a complete rifle and taken the effort to "match" it to an upper, they could not be responsible for it not fitting another company's upper, and that there was nothing they could do for me, but suggest that I purchase a Noveske upper. There was "nothing else they could do" for me.

I hung up after thanking them. I have a complete 10.3" Daniel Defense 300BLK carbine on the way, at this time. No more Noveske for me. Situation resolved, all parties contacted. I am very disappointed in both Noveske's product, and how they handled this situation. In the future, I will be buying truly mil-spec components vs. proprietary lowers and other things of the nature. A lot of issues can be avoided when common standards are observed. At least now I can use Gen 3 PMAG's without grinding on them in my new Daniel Defense. Maybe by the time all the paperwork clears, I can find a few, lol! *trying to look on the bright side*
    Last edited by WS6; 04-26-13 at 15:54.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I've see this happen with RRA lowers a couple times. When I got my 9" AAC upper a couple weeks ago, it didn't fit on my Noveske lower. I had to use a rubber mallet to get the takedown pin through. After that and a couple times by hand it fit like any other upper. I'm assuming it was the anodizing or something like that.
    Having the same issue with my AAC and a Daniel Defense lower.

Feedback Score
    I just did three LRB lowers to three BCM uppers and they fit together perfectly, couldn’t be happier

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That sucks man, hopefully your next go 'round works out for you. Just for shits and giggles, I broke down my rifles and swapped upper/lower combinations. All of my uppers worked on my Spike's lowers. But my BCM upper would not fit on my Rock River lower. This lower was purchased as a complete rifle and fits great with the Rock upper. Glad I wasn't counting on that Rock for my BCM build.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If the spec is .5 +/- .004 and yours is -.003 it seems to be in spec though. Correct? I'm going to buy a gauge to see mind. I have a gen 1 and a gen 2 noveske unbuilt. While the situation sucks, I don't see what the company can really do to rectify it. I wonder if noveske's "spec" on the uppers and lowers are a tighter than milspec fit or if its just anything within spec is fine
    Last edited by n4p226r; 04-27-13 at 10:37.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I've see this happen with RRA lowers a couple times. When I got my 9" AAC upper a couple weeks ago, it didn't fit on my Noveske lower. I had to use a rubber mallet to get the takedown pin through. After that and a couple times by hand it fit like any other upper. I'm assuming it was the anodizing or something like that.
    It's not always the result of an out-of-spec condition, and sometimes you just have to do as Jon says: use a rubber or nylon mallet until things loosen up a bit on their own. Truth is, Noveske lowers are probably some of the most highly-regarded receivers out there, but I've noticed that they don't always play well with other manufacturer's uppers at first. We just went through this with an N4 lower and a BCM upper -- neither of which are exactly run-of-the-mill vendors.

Granted, the farther you go from the baseline (i.e. billet receivers from various sources), the more likely you are to have fitment issues, but relatively few of these are really as bad as they seem when you are trying to snap them together for that initial mating. Most of these things do indeed work themselves out, provided that you achieved a sufficient degree of panic when you first noticed that you had a problem. It's a bit like losing a set of keys: you really won't stand a chance of remembering where you left them until you start accusing others of taking or moving them. Once you've made a sufficient arse of yourself -- poof! -- there they are, right in the pocket of the jacket you wore on Thursday.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast