Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first Build... Here goes nothing...

Feedback Score

My first Build... Here goes nothing...

Hello Everyone,

New guy, Long term lurker, Second time poster. Relatively new to the AR platform but not totally unfamiliar due to spending time with Uncle Sam. I've just put together my first build and I'm looking for feedback. I was limited in what I could buy at the time due to recent events but I'm just about finished.

Here's my build.

- Lower: New Frontier Arms LR15 complete Polymer lower with a commercial spec. collapsible stock. (there were no aluminum lowers at the time)
    - Upper: Palmetto State Armory Carbine length, with 16" M4 profile chrome lined barrel.
    - Sights/Optics: UTG match grade rear sight, Leapers (UTG) red/green dot.
    - Bolt Carrier Group: Waiting on a 5.56 BCG from PSA. Currently running a CMMG 22lr stainless steel conversion. (Imagine my surprise when all the 22lr disappeared... )

Since I'm setup for 22lr, I haven't fired it yet because I don't have the ability to fire .223 for purging yet; I don't want to clog my gas tube with these dirty Remington 22s.

Is there anything I should look out for? Upgrades, special care with regard to the 22 conversion, polymer durability?

Keep in mind; This is an entry level 'plinker' rifle and not setup for matches or combat.

Thanks in advance.

G.R.

Feedback Score

Re: My first Build... Here goes nothing...

Yes, let's enjoy it for a few minutes. Then make sure it never gets that close again.

Feedback Score
    If I was in your shoes, I'd start looking for an Aluminum lower. Prices have come down a bit and they come in and out of availability more often. I'd keep the polymer lower around for the 22lr. If you build or pick the lower right, you'll end up with a solid AR in 5.56 and a polymer base for later building a dedicated .22LR for plinking.

All that said, I've got no experience with polymer lowers so someone that knows more than I, which wouldn't take much, may have a different take. There's plenty of info floating on the site about the Bushmaster Carbon 15, a polymer lower 5.56 and it's pretty ugly stuff. Use the search button on that subject and you'll find some threads to read through.
    Last edited by .46caliber; 04-17-13 at 19:31.

Feedback Score
    I have a NFA lower and the same upper build. I have had mine for alittle over a year and have ran over 1K rounds through it with no issues with 223 and 5.56. I did replace fire controls on the NFA lower with a spikes tactical and i put a WMD BCG in the upper when I was building the rifle and I have not had any issues with it. Oh if you are looking for a aluminum lower check palmetto state their lower pop up at least twice a week. In fact two days ago they have blem lowers for 99 bucks. Good luck and go out and enjoy your AR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cgcaps View Post
    I have a NFA lower and the same upper build. I have had mine for alittle over a year and have ran over 1K rounds through it with no issues with 223 and 5.56. I did replace fire controls on the NFA lower with a spikes tactical and i put a WMD BCG in the upper when I was building the rifle and I have not had any issues with it. Oh if you are looking for a aluminum lower check palmetto state their lower pop up at least twice a week. In fact two days ago they have blem lowers for 99 bucks. Good luck and go out and enjoy your AR.
    Yeah. PSA is the place to go for almost everything AR-related these days... I'm strongly considering grabbing a blemished stripped lower if they pop up again. Then I'll try my hand at building it with a basic lower parts kit.

I'd keep the New Frontier lower as a backup. It never hurts to have a spare lower (or rifle for that matter) lying around...

What are your opinions of those conversion kits? Other than firing a few .223s to purge the gas line is there anything I should look out for?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

My first Build... Here goes nothing...

I'd just keep that build dedicated to 22LR. .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score

Re: My first Build... Here goes nothing...

I bought a couple FMK lowers before I came across the PSA lower. The deals were so good, I now have a PSA 16" carbine because I couldn't pass any of it up. FYI, I picked up my BCG through Core 15.

Sent from my Motorola brick phone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    I'd just keep that build dedicated to 22LR. .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Why? You don't think the NFA lower can take the full sized rounds?

It's supposedly a lot stronger than ATI's Omni lower. Those things have a tendency to break at the rear takedown pin.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauss Rifle View Post
    Why? You don't think the NFA lower can take the full sized rounds?

It's supposedly a lot stronger than ATI's Omni lower. Those things have a tendency to break at the rear takedown pin.
    No. Between the lower and the optic I'd just leave it as is and have fun with 22.

If not, I'd scrap the optic and the entire lower. Keep the upper and start over.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    No. Between the lower and the optic I'd just leave it as is and have fun with 22.

If not, I'd scrap the optic and the entire lower. Keep the upper and start over.
    Ouch! You're hating on my optic too? That thing's only for close range acquisition. Besides, the thing took a 12 gauge recoil with no problem.

I know the NFA is not aluminum but they had really good reviews with regard to durability. Have you heard anything bad about NFA lowers or are you just an 'aluminum only' kinda guy?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast